Peculiar quirk in search on Zipcode

STLbells

If you enter a 9-digit Zipcode as the search parameter, hoping to get results centered on your own neighborhood (for example), the search will actually operate relative to the center point of the 5-digit Zipcode.  (I've no idea where it gets that lat/lon.)  The quirk is that instead of telling you what it did, the results list claims to be centered on the 9-digit Zipcode that you supplied.  (Example: "Search Criteria: All Waymarks Within 10 mile(s) of 63122-nnnn" is actually centered on a point in 63122 that is more than a mile northeast of what I expected.)  This isn't a big deal, but it is misleading.

Yes, I'm picky.  But as a systems analyst/programmer for decades, I know that being picky is what makes the difference between really good software and barely acceptable software.

Here at Waymarking, in recent years we have learned to be satisfied with software that is working at all, even if barely working.  The main efforts of the systems analyst/programmer are given to geocaching, not to Waymarking.  Most of the time, there are no resources for any fix here on the Waymarking site.

Edited by elyob
  • Upvote 1