NM on my own cache

LFC4eva

How long have we not been able to post a NM on our own caches?

In the past, if someone mentioned in their log that there was an issue with my cache (wet log / broken container etc.) but didn't post a NM (it's frowned upon in my area and you get branded Cache Police if you do - not by me I might add.  I welcome being alerted to the fact my cache needs attention), I would post one myself to remind myself that I need to go out and fix the problem.

Tonight I've had a couple of logs telling me the log is too wet to sign - but I no longer have the ability to post a NM on my own cache.  I thought if I opted out of the new logging system I might be able to, but it's disappeared from there too. :unsure:

1 hour ago, The Magna Defender said:

I thought if quality watertight boxes were used then there wouldnt be any wet logs occurring ;)

I may need to re-think them.. they were caches I adopted on the NW Nutters series along the canal and a few of them were custom containers - cockroach or similar, holding a bison being the one in question.  I suppose I have two choices.. be prepared to maintain it regularly or change it for a non-custom container. 

2 hours ago, LFC4eva said:

I may need to re-think them.. they were caches I adopted on the NW Nutters series along the canal and a few of them were custom containers - cockroach or similar, holding a bison being the one in question.  I suppose I have two choices.. be prepared to maintain it regularly or change it for a non-custom container. 

Another possible option, buy a real (authentic) bison tube. The threads are quality milled. The o-ring is better quality too. 

7 hours ago, noncentric said:

Perhaps creating a Bookmark List, like "Need to Fix", would be helpful - and then create a Bookmark of that Bookmark List in your web browser. Creating a bookmark list would allow for relatively quick viewing in the official Geocaching app as well.

Yeah, that works for premium members. But it doesn't work for basic members. And then you have some caches with the NM attribute, and others in the Need to Fix bookmark list. And the bookmark list gets out of date.

2 hours ago, niraD said:
9 hours ago, noncentric said:

Perhaps creating a Bookmark List, like "Need to Fix", would be helpful - and then create a Bookmark of that Bookmark List in your web browser. Creating a bookmark list would allow for relatively quick viewing in the official Geocaching app as well.

Yeah, that works for premium members. But it doesn't work for basic members. And then you have some caches with the NM attribute, and others in the Need to Fix bookmark list. And the bookmark list gets out of date.

There are other ways to make a list, such as a spreadsheet, word processing document, or even a sheet of paper.

Not every cache owner issue needs to be solved by a Groundspeak programmer.  Though in saying that, I recognize that this particular issue would appear to have been created by one.

13 hours ago, noncentric said:

When I post an NM on my own cache, it's to let other people know there's a need for maintenance. A bookmark list doesn't do that.

17 hours ago, arisoft said:
22 hours ago, hzoi said:

Not every cache owner issue needs to be solved by a Groundspeak programmer.

This issue was created by a Groundspeak programmer. NM worked very well until something happened.

Why yes - in fact, I believe I said this exact thing in the sentence after the one you selectively quoted.

Let's check.

22 hours ago, hzoi said:

Not every cache owner issue needs to be solved by a Groundspeak programmer.  Though in saying that, I recognize that this particular issue would appear to have been created by one.

Yup, there it is.  I made it bigger, since apparently you missed it the first time.

But thanks for taking my quote out of context and then replying to it with the exact thing I had already said -- it really adds to the discussion. 

(Oh, wait.  It doesn't.)

Anyway.

18 hours ago, dprovan said:

When I post an NM on my own cache, it's to let other people know there's a need for maintenance. A bookmark list doesn't do that.

Whenever I learn one of our caches may need maintenance, I don't post NM on it - I either leave a note saying I'm aware of the issue and I'll be out to fix it, or I temporarily disable the cache, depending on the severity of what's being reported.  Then I go out to the cache to either fix it or remove it, and either post OM or archive it as appropriate. 

It never occurred to me to post NM on our own cache instead of this back when the option was available, and I don't miss it now that it's gone.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, hzoi said:

Whenever I learn one of our caches may need maintenance, I don't post NM on it - I either leave a note saying I'm aware of the issue and I'll be out to fix it, or I temporarily disable the cache, depending on the severity of what's being reported.  Then I go out to the cache to either fix it or remove it, and either post OM or archive it as appropriate. 

It never occurred to me to post NM on our own cache instead of this back when the option was available, and I don't miss it now that it's gone.

Same.

I never would have even considered posting NM on my own cache.  Normally I just disable it if it sounds like a big enough problem.  

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, hzoi said:

39 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

Same.

I never would have even considered posting NM on my own cache.  Normally I just disable it if it sounds like a big enough problem.  

Yeah, me to...   I leave a "Thanks for the heads up. :) " or similar note.  That way others know I'm already aware.   If maybe missing, it'd be TD.   We then stick a "post it"  or card with the cache that needs attention on the fridge, and the first one able to go, heads out.  That's pretty simple...  

- Though I believe with some, having the ability to place a NM on your own cache is more about the "heads up" to others, who'll come prepared to fix it for you...

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Yeah, me to...   I leave a "Thanks for the heads up. :) " or similar note.  That way others know I'm already aware.   If maybe missing, it'd be TD.   We then stick a "post it"  or card with the cache that needs attention on the fridge, and the first one able to go, heads out.  That's pretty simple...  

- Though I believe with some, having the ability to place a NM on your own cache is more about the "heads up" to others, who'll come prepared to fix it for you...

This ^^. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the last part. 

52 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:
59 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

This ^^. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the last part. 

The time I've left one of my caches with a NM attribute, it was because the custom camouflage was starting to fail. It was fine if you replaced the container with the ruined side down, so there was no need to disable the cache. And I certainly didn't want anyone else to fix the custom camouflage for me.

But rebuilding the custom camouflage took time. Until I was done and had replaced the cache with the new one, it was nice having the NM attribute set as a reminder.

I can't think of a reason to dis-allow a NM by the CO of a cache. What does it hurt? And, as pointed out above, it can be useful for some CO's in managing their caches.

In addition to the reasons above to allow it, here's another one. A number of GeoTours require the use of a stamp. Sometimes the stamp goes missing. It is noted in the Found It logs, but no one posted a NM. Why not let the CO do that? On a couple of GeoTour caches where the stamp was missing, the CO would temp disable the listing. But the cache was still there, and in perfect shape, except for the stamp. Temp disable seems like overkill, as it makes it less likely that people not interested in the GeoTour will attempt the cache. A NM log would be more appropriate.

On 4/24/2018 at 7:14 AM, niraD said:

Yeah, that works for premium members. But it doesn't work for basic members.

On 4/24/2018 at 1:41 PM, dprovan said:

Uhm, yeah. My suggestion to use a Bookmark List was to address the specific case mentioned by the OP, who is a Premium Member, and said they used the NM "to remind myself that I need to go out and fix the problem". The OP did not say anything about alerting other cachers. Creating a bookmark list would work for what the OP mentioned.

On 4/24/2018 at 7:14 AM, niraD said:

And then you have some caches with the NM attribute, and others in the Need to Fix bookmark list. And the bookmark list gets out of date.

If a cache has an NM, then it needs to be fixed and so it should be added to the bookmark list. When the cache is fixed, then remove it from the bookmark list. It's not that complicated.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, noncentric said:

When the cache is fixed, then remove it from the bookmark list. It's not that complicated.

No, it isn't that complicated. But I still end up with caches that I've found on my "solved unfound puzzles" list. And with caches that have been maintained, there isn't even a nice smiley to remind you that you've already maintained them and should remove them from the list.

On the other hand, posting an OM log automatically removes the NM attribute.

12 hours ago, J Grouchy said:

I used to inform about potential problems with NM if the player forget to post it. Now I wait until someone posts a NM. For many geocachers DNF seems to be like a NM.

11 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I have newer get this kind of ideas in my mind. If this is the "reason", the "solution" does not work. I will explain:

I have a cache which I did not want to care for quickly due to seasonal reasons. I disabled the cache with permission to log it found if the finder have a new logsheet for signing the cache. It took couple of weeks and I enabled it back because a finder brought a new logsheet.

There is no need to hide the maintenance request into ambiguous NM log if you want the cache fixed as you can always ask it to be fixed.

14 hours ago, arisoft said:

I have newer get this kind of ideas in my mind. If this is the "reason", the "solution" does not work. I will explain:

I have a cache which I did not want to care for quickly due to seasonal reasons. I disabled the cache with permission to log it found if the finder have a new logsheet for signing the cache. It took couple of weeks and I enabled it back because a finder brought a new logsheet.

There is no need to hide the maintenance request into ambiguous NM log if you want the cache fixed as you can always ask it to be fixed.

Those COs we've seen "asking people to fix their caches" on the cache page usually get a TD by a Reviewer if noticed. 

Different there, huh?    Nice you re-enabled  it after another did it for you a couple weeks later...    

• Upvote 1