Finally moving from Windows 10 mobile to, what?

Finally, my trusted Nokia 930 is being retired. I'm leaning on moving to Android, but not entirely convinced what brand/model to get.

What I'm looking for is a good GPS receiver, good camera and fairly big screen. What do you use, what do you recommend and what apps are you using with it?

What kind of price category are you thinking about?

The next big step in Phone GPS accuracy is the BCM47755 chip, which allows far greater accuracy than current chips. Sadly, no phones exist with this chip yet. 

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/semiconductors/design/superaccurate-gps-chips-coming-to-smartphones-in-2018

If you want something available now, it doesn't really matter for GPS accuracy. They are all in the same ballpark.

All phones today have NFC, good GPS antenna, and big screens. The best camera on an android is probably the Google Pixel 2, though the Samsung Galaxy S9 might rival it. Cell phone cameras in general are terrible. They have tiny lenses that project onto tiny sensors and will never be able to produce the same amount of detail and sensitivity as a good DSLR.

As far as apps go, the official app from Groundspeak works just fine. Others include GCDroid, Locus Pro. There are way more geocaching apps available for the android platform than for iOS, but they do vary in quality, features, and usability.

• Upvote 1

As to phone cameras, I'm very pleased with both my old Lumia 920 and now 930 cameras and my wife's 950 camera. Super pictures for that kind of device.

I've learned that Android cameras isn't that good unfortunately. Guess I'll have to get what I can. Also Huawei's P20 Pro is something I'll look into... I cannot seem to find Pixel 2 anywhere around here though.

Which phone these days will certainly be a personal preference. They all have strengths and weaknesses (otherwise they wouldn't be sucessful) balanced with cost.  I can only speak from experience that the latest 2 generations of iPhone are typically at the top of quality pack. I have an 8+ and am super-satisfied with it, for GPS, camera, CPU, usability... deciding between Android and iPhone is more a user environment question. They have very different UI's and user experiences. Like Linux vs Windows.  Debated which is "better" is pointless. Context matters :)

Like buying a speaker system for your home if you're not an audiophile but have a lot of $. You want quality, but you won't be able to tell the difference between the high end systems unless you know exactly what you're listening for and you know which suits your home construction better. You'll likely be happy either way, once you get used to having it in your home and how it works specifically. :)

For phones, you could look at app selection, accessories, reviews about universal properties (like battery life depending on how it's being used, durability, etc).

All I can say is I can highly recommend the iPhone 8+. I haven't used the 10 so I can't praise or criticize it from personal use. (I wasn't not a fan of the notch, and that was pretty much the tipping point for my decision to the 8)

Thanks for your input. I've looked at both iOS and Android and am very ambivalent, thinking neither is as good as Win 10 Mobile was. Of the two, iOS is by far more secure, but I can tweak Android (with launchers) to be a bit more Win 10 lookalike.... Tricky...

I liked the Nokia Lumia but went to a Motorola G4 Plus (Lenovo). I find its not as intuitive or as easy to operate as the Nokia but it does other stuff the Nokia didn't plus a big screen and very good camera 16mp. The dual SIM is handy when travelling O/S. It seems to work well with the Official App but I use my Garmin most of the time.