Download GPS?

kunarion

To me, this whole section 2 is poorly organized.  If I was to restructure it I would do something like:

2.1 Download Caches to GPS from Cache Pages (Basic and Premium Members)

(use the existing 2.1 text except remove the Send to Garmin and Download via Pocket Queries portions.  Integrate the existing 2.6 text into this section. Also, are the Magellan communicators still working or should that part be modified too?)

2.2 Download Caches to GPS from Lists (Premium Members)

(use the existing 2.3 text)

2.3 Download Caches to GPS Utilizing Pocket Queries (Premium Members)

( use the exiting 2.1 text on PQs)

2.4 Upload Drafts (field notes) 

2.5 GPS Buyer Guide

2.6 GPS Help

On 4/19/2018 at 8:21 AM, SnowstormMK said:

Thanks for the catch, we changed it!

The Help Center article says "Select Send to My GPS or GPX file from...", but

I thought that "Send to My GPS" doesn't work without a functional Communicator Plugin, so it seems like the Help Center article should not say "Select Send to My GPS or GPX file from...", especially within a Help Center article titled "Garmin Communicator Plugin no longer supported".

Does the "Send to My GPS" option work, even for non-Garmin devices?  I'm assuming no, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Edited by noncentric
2 hours ago, noncentric said:

The Help Center article says "Select Send to My GPS or GPX file from...", but

I thought that "Send to My GPS" doesn't work without a functional Communicator Plugin, so it seems like the Help Center article should not say "Select Send to My GPS or GPX file from...", especially within a Help Center article titled "Garmin Communicator Plugin no longer supported".

Does the "Send to My GPS" option work, even for non-Garmin devices?  I'm assuming no, but maybe I'm mistaken.

The Help Center has very terse info, which means that Forum members forevermore must fill in the blanks, with no decent link for reference.  I have to bite my tongue when I see something like "The collection means a collectible can be collected".  And when that was the correction.  It drives me crazy. :cute:

I think they meant that we may choose one of three things, Garmin Express (with a link to its own info), Send To My GPS (it may or may not work, but is a selection), and GPX File.

If I was the editor, it would be an article about the friendly, site-wide button "Send To My GPS" (called "Send to GPS" on maps).  And it would say "But if you can't get that working in modern browsers anymore, here are two alternatives".  Then say to try "The 'GPX File' button on a cache page, or 'Garmin Express'" (with the Garmin Express link).

"Send To My GPS" worked for some other brand GPSrs than Garmin.  There was, for example "Magellan Communicator" (or something like that).  It's all gone now, of course.  Well, at least a few people must still be able to use some of it, or that button would go away.

Edited by kunarion

I am having a problem as well. Trying to load caches on my Garmin and it keeps telling me that I do not have the Garmin Communicator plugin downloaded. I uploaded the latest one twice for good measure and it still will not let me send the cache to my device. I have gone into Safari settings to make sure the website is allowed to use the plugin and the Garmin website is accessing my device with no problems so I know the plugin is working. What am I missing or it a bug with the Geocache website?

• Upvote 1

I'm having a new problem with the Send To My GPS option. I still use my dedicated GPSr, the Magellan eXplorist, and while I can no longer load caches using FireFox browser, it still works using Internet Explorer, of all things.  Lately, the Send To My GPS button on the map no longer works and I have to go to the cache page and use the Send To... button there. Is it going to stay like this?  While I realize that a lot of geocachers now use smartphones in the field, a LOT of us still prefer a GPSr, as they are always more accurate than the apps.  Believe it or not, some of us still live in areas that don't have reliable cell service so trying to switch to a smartphone makes no sense for us. 

58 minutes ago, 3 Amigos said:

Is it going to stay like this? 

No, eventually you won't be able to use I.E. either.  Browsers are no longer allowing the plug-ins due to security concerns.  You must be using an older version of I.E.  There are many, many threads about this topic in the forum.  You can use the GPX File button on the cache pages to load individual caches (download them and move the files individually to the unit) or use PQs to the unit.

Edited by icezebra11
2 hours ago, deadsygurll said:

I am having a problem as well. Trying to load caches on my Garmin and it keeps telling me that I do not have the Garmin Communicator plugin downloaded. I uploaded the latest one twice for good measure and it still will not let me send the cache to my device. I have gone into Safari settings to make sure the website is allowed to use the plugin and the Garmin website is accessing my device with no problems so I know the plugin is working. What am I missing or it a bug with the Geocache website?

As a Basic Member you must use the GPX File button on individual cache pages to download the file to your GPSr.  The plug-in won't work unless you have an old version of I.E. and it too will soon be no good.

17 minutes ago, icezebra11 said:

As a Basic Member you must use the GPX File button on individual cache pages to download the file to your GPSr.  The plug-in won't work unless you have an old version of I.E. and it too will soon be no good.

You can also use a specific version of Firefox, but even that road will end in a couple of weeks.

19 hours ago, icezebra11 said:

The GPX file will still contain the name of the cache, etc? How do I load it to my device? Go through the file systems on it? I have a Fenix 2 device and have in the past only downloaded stuff from the watch never uploaded as I use it daily and don't want to screw it up.

5 hours ago, deadsygurll said:

The GPX file will still contain the name of the cache, etc? How do I load it to my device? Go through the file systems on it? I have a Fenix 2 device and have in the past only downloaded stuff from the watch never uploaded as I use it daily and don't want to screw it up.

I'm not familiar with the workings of the Fenix but I pulled up the manual online. The manual shows it supports caching using Garmin's caching website but that website no longer exists.  Were you successfully transferring caches in the past using the communicator?   If so, connect the Fenix to the computer to its folders and files.  On Garmin handhelds the geocache files are found in the Garmin/GPX folder in the file system so look for that folder on your Fenix.  Download or move the .gpx file via cut/ or copy/paste into that folder.   If you were successfully using the communicator before, you should see all the same cache info using this method.

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, deadsygurll said:

Looks like you can send GPX files to the Fenix 2 just as you would with most any modern Garmin GPS.  And it has field notes!

Here's a pretty nice article I found:
http://gadgetnerdly.com/paperless-geocaching-on-the-garmin-fenix/ 

Not long ago, someone asked the same thing about "Fenix 3".  "Fenix 2" is OK, but "Fenix 3" has no such Geocaching features.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, icezebra11 said:

On Garmin handhelds the geocache files are found in the Garmin/GPX folder in the file system so look for that folder on your Fenix.  Download or move the .gpx file via cut/ or copy/paste into that folder.   If you were successfully using the communicator before, you should see all the same cache info using this method.

I used this and found my other caches stored on my watch and uploaded the new ones. All the notes and details show up just like when I was sending it straight from the cache page!

11 hours ago, kunarion said:

Not long ago, someone asked the same thing about "Fenix 3".  "Fenix 2" is OK, but "Fenix 3" has no such Geocaching features.

Thanks for the article! I was honestly looking at upgrading to the 3 or 5 series but I think you just saved me a ton of $$!