A study of geocaching

altuli

Hi everyone, 

I'm a current social anthropology university student, and a geocacher myself. For one of my modules based on anthropology and technology we have to do a research project, and I would like to focus mine on geocaching. 

In particular, I would like to collect users' experiences and how geocaching affects one's space and city. Other possible topics are how geocaching influences your tourist experience or how is geocaching a community and if you had any interaction with other users in real life. 

Any help would be really appreciated, if you have any other question do not hesitate to contact me. 

If anyone is willing we can also set a Skype interview or if you live in the Canterbury area a meeting. 

Thanks, Andrea (altuli). 

6 hours ago, altuli said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm a current social anthropology university student, and a geocacher myself. For one of my modules based on anthropology and technology we have to do a research project, and I would like to focus mine on geocaching. 

In particular, I would like to collect users' experiences and how geocaching affects one's space and city. Other possible topics are how geocaching influences your tourist experience or how is geocaching a community and if you had any interaction with other users in real life. 

Any help would be really appreciated, if you have any other question do not hesitate to contact me. 

If anyone is willing we can also set a Skype interview or if you live in the Canterbury area a meeting. 

Thanks, Andrea (altuli). 

Have you looked for Geocaching Events in your area? If you attend, you can study the elusive Geocacher in a social gathering. Perhaps you will be fortunate enough to interact with a few of them. :D

If you were close to East Texas this weekend, you could observe (and be welcomed to participate) in a community of Geocachers who will be cleaning up a few streets in a small town. There are expected to be over 50 Geocachers involved, with only 3 or 4 from that town. Some are attending from over 150 miles away. The local motel is booked full, as are the campsites at a nearby State Park.

• Upvote 3

Agree with K13, just attending an Event could show "geocaching as a community".  Attend a couple.    :)

Interact in real Life ?  We aren't organized like the masons or elks, but there are some cachers who realize that the hobby benefits in a way,  Some cachers having skills, and they're  requested by others simply (I believe) because they're more aware of them than a search on angie's list.   We also have a couple we call friends now, visiting each other n stuff, first met at an event. Summers, you're popular with everyone when you have a pool.  :D    

Geotours are a perfect example of how a city/community realizes the benefits of tourism and this odd hobby.   

Edited by cerberus1
addifications... ;)
  • Upvote 1

Thanks both of you for the useful information. 

Ahahahhahahh yeah I know is not some sort of masonry, but I could not find a better term to define real life interaction. 

I will have a look for sure around my area to see if there is any event going on and hopefully I'll be able to attend one, I've been only to few of them, but never with the intention to gather data for a project.