Length of terrain 1 hike?

4 hours ago, cache_n_out said:

The guidelines say 0.5 mile.   Is that 1 way or round trip?

For a 1 terrain the guidelines say, "The hike is less than 0.5 mile (0.8 km) and wheelchair accessible (attribute required). Most likely paved and flat.   

"The hike" sounds like round trip (to me), since "the hike" wouldn't end at GZ, but would extend back to the car.

- But the header for terrain above it does say, "Physical effort needed to arrive at coordinates".   To "arrive at coordinates"  (where a cache is located...)  it could mean a one-way trip as well. 

Good question.  Maybe it could be made clear in the guidelines.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

For a 1 terrain the guidelines say, "The hike is less than 0.5 mile (0.8 km) and wheelchair accessible (attribute required). Most likely paved and flat.   

"The hike" sounds like round trip (to me), since "the hike" wouldn't end at GZ, but would extend back to the car.

- But the header for terrain above it does say, "Physical effort needed to arrive at coordinates".   To "arrive at coordinates"  (where a cache is located...)  it could mean a one-way trip as well. 

Good question.  Maybe it could be made clear in the guidelines.

I've often wondered the same thing about the <1km, 1-10km and >10km attributes. As best I can tell, the concensus here seems to be that it's one way, from the nearest parking to GZ.

28 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

coordinates are the same at the base of a tree as they are 20' up

Well, I'd say that clayjar is more accurate as it defines terrain rating as, "to the cache", which would include that tree or cliff climb.  Sometimes people try to simplify a bit too much ;-) (my favorite example of this on Geocaching.com is,  How do I log a trackable? info here )

On the other hand, specific to Terrain 1, clayjar says, " How is the the most difficult part of the cache? If the cache is within a few feet of a trail, don't worry about the last few feet."  Not worrying about the last few feet means (meant) that a good many T1 caches couldn't be reached by someone in a wheelchair, using a walker, pulling an oxygen tank (cacher in my area was doing that). 

• Upvote 2

Here's a T1 cache on a gorgeous ADA compliant gravel trail. https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3QFYD_wastatepks100-rockport While the map on the cache page doesn't show it, there is a large map at the parking lot that rates portions of the trail, showing the slope of the trail in various places. The total elevation change was around 125 feet. So, a wheelchair bound person could plan their route accordingly. The cache is located right at the edge of the trail, about waist high. Easy to access in a wheelchair. The distance to the cache from the parking lot is a bit over the 0.5 mile (one-way) guideline.

• Upvote 1