Premium Caches

Beelz_ny

I understand not being able to locate the premium caches with your maps/app without a premium account, but if one is found by a random chance I should still be able to claim I found it. This morning makes the second time I accidentally found a premium cache... Not even counting the one I found that isn't anywhere on the internet(last signature from 2011), but you guys won't approve it because I technically didn't put it there. Seems there's always a catch, whether it's paying for a membership to spend my own time or whatever. It's disappointing that everyone is looking for an angle to make money, you guys included. I know the posts are screened before they're approved so nobody except moderators will see my rant, but you're the ones I want to see it anyways.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Beelz_ny said:

I understand not being able to locate the premium caches with your maps/app without a premium account, but if one is found by a random chance I should still be able to claim I found it. This morning makes the second time I accidentally found a premium cache... Not even counting the one I found that isn't anywhere on the internet(last signature from 2011), but you guys won't approve it because I technically didn't put it there. Seems there's always a catch, whether it's paying for a membership to spend my own time or whatever. It's disappointing that everyone is looking for an angle to make money, you guys included.

If you set aside your conspiratorial capitalist theories for a moment and simply ask for help, you will find that the forum community can be quite helpful.  Some guidance:

1. We don't publish brand-new caches at the same coordinates as existing caches owned by someone else, just because you are having difficulties logging the existing cache.
  2. Nothing is stopping you from logging an "advanced" cache (not available on the app) by going to the website and logging it there.
  3. Nothing is stopping you from logging a true "premium members only" cache by using one of several established workarounds.  You can't see the page itself, but you can log your find.
5 minutes ago, Beelz_ny said:

I know the posts are screened before they're approved so nobody except moderators will see my rant, but you're the ones I want to see it anyways.

Surprise!  It's actually more helpful for your post to be seen in the public forums where the community can help you, so your post was approved.  What is the point of ranting only to a volunteer moderator?  I work for a bank in Pittsburgh.  I have no ability to wave a magic wand and remove all restrictions in the "starter app" that you downloaded to learn about geocaching.  Ranting to me does nothing except, perhaps, to vent some of your pent up anger - always a good thing.  This activity is supposed to be fun, not anger-inducing.

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, Beelz_ny said:

I understand not being able to locate the premium caches with your maps/app without a premium account, but if one is found by a random chance I should still be able to claim I found it.

-snip -

I know the posts are screened before they're approved so nobody except moderators will see my rant, but you're the ones I want to see it anyways.

There's actually a number of ways a basic member can log a pmo cache.  A simple google search will show you how (though we tell friends to use the same link in CAVinoGal's post.  :)

I've let my pm go a few times now, logging every type of cache but those pmo (see CAV's link...) , and the only thing I really missed was notifications.  You can find and log all "advanced" caches just by using the website for the information.

If posts were "screened" before entered, no one would be able to discuss anything.  This is an international forums with too much going on to screen posts.   If someone is bad enough that they need to be reported, we (the common folk   ;) ) report it to a Moderator. 

• Upvote 1
On 4/18/2018 at 6:25 PM, Keystone said:

If you set aside your conspiratorial capitalist theories for a moment...

*Puts tin-foil hat away*

Sorry for the rant, the top of the page said post had to be approved beforehand. Either way, thanks for the link. I admit I could've tried google, but I figured that if the main site said I can't see the cache, let alone log it, then I was SOL.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Beelz_ny said:

*Puts tin-foil hat away*

Sorry for the rant, the top of the page said post had to be approved beforehand. Either way, thanks for the link. I admit I could've tried google, but I figured that if the main site said I can't see the cache, let alone log it, then I was SOL.

I really appreciate your response and attitude.  I hope that you will get hooked on geocaching, and that you will ask any other questions you might have in future forum posts.  You will find helpful people like CAVinoGal and Cerberus1 to help you!

• Upvote 2