How to go about inviting fellow players?

Hi there, I'm Gabe, I'm a beginner geocacher I usually go by myself but I thought I'd invite some local cachers from my area to geocache with. 

Do people use this site to do that? I've tried adding friends but it appears nobody has even logged in to see my request.

I'm trying on the Facebook Group as well but still no replies, oh well.

2 hours ago, Gabeman26 said:

Hi there, I'm Gabe, I'm a beginner geocacher I usually go by myself but I thought I'd invite some local cachers from my area to geocache with. 

Do people use this site to do that? I've tried adding friends but it appears nobody has even logged in to see my request.

I'm trying on the Facebook Group as well but still no replies, oh well.

Man! You must have 9000 caches in NW Houston to choose from! Are there not any groups that have meetups in that area?

Have you checked out sites like these too?

http://texasgeocaching.com/

http://www.geocachingaustin.com/

There's a bunch of others listed in the Geocaching Austin website too. I bet you could find some events and people through one of those, especially the Texas Geocaching Association. The one up in Michigan is super busy and lists all of the events for the entire state too, including doing their own. Sadly it looks like the association for Houston was shut down, for reasons they don't say. Likely the owner was no longer interested in the game.

Edited by mimaef
  • Upvote 1

Or create your own event.  Find an easy, low maintenance event idea and run with it.  I host several ice cream socials each summer, which get a lot of attendees, for several reasons:

1) A lot of people like ice cream in the summer, and it's a relatively inexpensive treat

2) Even if you don't eat ice cream, it's not awkward to participate in the event

3) I don't have to worry about collecting money, it's pay your own way

4) There's not a big time commitment for attendees, compared to something like a sit down dinner.  People show up early, show up late, stay the whole time, or a short time, and still have a nice time.

5) Hanging out in a parking lot allows a lot of different social interactions, compared to sitting in a seat around a table

Everyone else has already posted most of the pertinent information but I can't stress enough the event creation/attendance.  There might be a FB group you don't know about that they can tell you about and it's one of the best ways to match up with cachers that want to go on outings for caching purposes.

Houston used to be a geocaching mecca with bunches of great cachers and caches. But like many areas, caching activity has slowed a bit. I believe there are still some monthly events going on that you could look into. Matter of fact, one is taking place today (4/18/18) on the west side of Houston around lunch time

Welcome to the West Side

I would imagine there is fb group but my quick search didn't pull up anything. Digging a little deeper might get some results.

14 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

Go to an event and meet some people face-to-face, I’m guessing that will help a lot

When I first started in 2007 I went to several events, hosted by a very active local geocacher.   I met him again while geocaching in his area and then was invited on a couple of small group (4-5 people) day trips, and a group hunt for a night cache.  Alas, he moved out of the area in 2010 or so to Kansas City.  I had a business trip in KC last fall and sent him a PM to see if he was still active.  We met the day before my meetings, went out and found a few caches and had a great BBQ lunch.  

Geocaching isn't just a game.  It's a community.  Be part of it.

• Upvote 2
20 hours ago, Gabeman26 said:

I thought I'd invite some local cachers from my area to geocache with. 

Most hobbies, often it's the other way around...  ;)

As others said, Events are a good way to meet folks.   You'd meet long-time players who may be interested in taking a newbie under wing, or another new person who hasn't found all the local caches to team up with.  Good luck.   :)