What's up with Explosis?

Capt. Jack & 1st Mate

Hope he doesn't mind me speaking for him, but maintaining your caches can be a real hassle. I think he is tired of that part of it. And I sympathize!! People write in their posts ''you need to put another pen in this cache, the old one is gone''. Getting to that cache requires the cachers time and money.

I think there should be a strong ethical code in Geocaching where everyone brings along a spare cache (small) to be used as replacement parts for the caches they are visiting!! The original cacher took the time, effort, and money to make something enjoyable for others, They should recipricate with a little help with maintenence every now and then!

He's pulling his one by one so they are not just trash.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

By the way, this is not a slam on anyone, (other then maybe myself for not having done this better in the past). It is a commitment on my part to do so in the future. I'd rather do this than trade. Hope it catches on.

Agreed. I cache with a group of fun women (Lucy, Wienerdog, and Supergenius), and we carry items designed to clean out and replace caches. We have paper towels, baggies of various sizes, notebooks, microcache containers, pens, and a few trinkets.

We've dried things out, restocked caches, replaced bags, and have even taken over caches that seem to be abandoned by disappearing cachers (people who haven't logged in since January 2002, and the cache is falling apart).

It is more fun than trading trinkets, plus it lets us fuss over our finds. icon_smile.gif

Cin

quote:
Hope he doesn't mind me speaking for him, but maintaining your caches can be a real hassle. I think he is tired of that part of it. And I sympathize!! People write in their posts ''you need to put another pen in this cache, the old one is gone''. Getting to that cache requires the cachers time and money.

I thought that maybe it was because many of them have not been found anywhere from 2 months to two years, but a virtual that was found 18 days ago? What kind of maintenance does that require? Seems like there might be more to it than that.

I have gotten in the habit of carrying spare parts as well. My parts are:

Pens

Pencils

Duct Tape (works wonders)

Spare Notebooks

Zip Locs

And the usual trade goodies.

Have found that it makes the owner happy when you tell them that you dropped a spare notebook and pen in their cache. Saves them the hike in and insures that others after you get to enjoy the cache.

I dont carry a spare container, but the duct tape has solved the leaks I have found so far.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Jack & 1st Mate:

I thought that maybe it was because many of them have not been found anywhere from 2 months to two years, but a virtual that was found 18 days ago? What kind of maintenance does that require? Seems like there might be more to it than that.

Well that could be. The two things he noted to me were maintaining caches and cache density was too high nowdays. Sorry, that's all I know.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

I have gotten in the habit of carrying spare parts as well. My parts are:

Pens

Pencils

Duct Tape (works wonders)

Spare Notebooks

Zip Locs

And the usual trade goodies.

Have found that it makes the owner happy when you tell them that you dropped a spare notebook and pen in their cache. Saves them the hike in and insures that others after you get to enjoy the cache.

I dont carry a spare container, but the duct tape has solved the leaks I have found so far.

The duct tape is a great idea. I've been carrying a small roll ever since going to Geo Duct 1. Which, by the way, is where I finally met EraSeek f2f. icon_smile.gif

Hmmmmm...this thread sure took off in a new direction.

Cin

explosis got burned out on geocaching. He bought a waverunner and spends allot of his time doing that last I heard. I sent him an email awhile back asking him if he was alive and he said yah.

Oregone and him were going all out for king of the hill that he tired of it. Heck I am not even that active anymore. I rarely go on all day caching trips anymore. I have 4 or 5 caches on my home page and I havent even went out to get them yet.

Some people when they hit the 300-400 mark just naturally get burned out.

For me, all the parks are starting to look the same in Portland and I do most of my caching up in the gorge or revisiting and hiking some of my favorite spots where I have found geocaches.

Of course I have been planning my 12 monkeys event mostly lately with my spare time.

I am concentrating on placing caches now rather than finding them too much.

quote:
Originally posted by Syn:

Some people when they hit the 300-400 mark just naturally get burned out.

For me, all the parks are starting to look the same in Portland and I do most of my caching up in the gorge or revisiting and hiking some of my favorite spots where I have found geocaches.

Speaking for Doug and I, after 13 months of geocaching and 310 or so finds, we cache less and less in the city and more and more in the country. Last summer we cached locally several evenings a week after work. This summer we rarely do, but instead take weekend day-trips out into the boonies over logging roads, etc.

We like the backroads and being away from prying eyes. Sure, we don't get nearly as many finds this way, but for us the reward is much greater. There are many newer caches within just a few miles of us that get great numbers of hits. We have chosen to pass them up to go out to the country and find a cache that only a handful of people have found in a year or more. To us, that's living! To each his own; that's one of the great things about caching: you can pick and choose!

--laurak

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

quote:
EraSeek: Well that could be. The two things he noted to me were maintaining caches and cache density was too high nowdays. Sorry, that's all I know.

quote:
Syn: explosis got burned out on geocaching. He bought a waverunner and spends allot of his time doing that last I heard. I sent him an email awhile back asking him if he was alive and he said yah.

quote:
oregone: The short answer: Girlfriend.

Okay...waverunner, girlfriend, now he's going to fnd out what MAINTENANCE really is! icon_wink.gif At least things make sense now. Hopefully others will replace a few of his caches as they were at some pretty cool locations.

quote:
CachinCin: Hmmmmm...this thread sure took off in a new direction.

Boy, howdy! icon_rolleyes.gif But the question appears answered, so let this go where it may. icon_smile.gif

I had noticed his post because I watch his ''All Ocean View'', certainly must be in my top ten. Scared the pants off me!

I got more selective on the caches I hit long ago. I just go for the ones that look worthwhile to me. And yes, I really enjoy planting them probably more then finding. But I am slowly pulling the older worn out ones as well. Pipeline and quary View were great. How tough the adventure is less important than where it takes you. 'Georgous' was super easy but it made you go ''Ahh! WoW!'' when you stood there.

4497_300.jpg

quote:
oregone: The short answer: Girlfriend.

quote:
Okay...waverunner, girlfriend, now he's going to fnd out what MAINTENANCE really is! icon_wink.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Being female, I should really put on my righteous-anger face and act all offended, etc. etc. etc. at this remark, but I AGREE with it!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Good luck, Explosis dude! You're gonna NEED it!! icon_biggrin.gif

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

[This message was edited by Sparrowhawk on July 25, 2003 at 09:19 AM.]

quote:
I had noticed his post because I watch his ''All Ocean View'', certainly must be in my top ten. Scared the pants off me!

Roger that EraSeek! One of our favorites as well and 1st Mate wouldn't even look down!!! icon_eek.gif

quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Being female, I should really put on my righteous-anger face and act all offended, etc. etc. etc. at this remark, but I AGREE with it!!!

Glad you have a good sense of humour Sparrowhawk. icon_smile.gif