Event activities

Last January, I ran an event for our national day, Australia Day, called The Great Aussie Keytag Trek. I have a large local park nearby where I placed a keytag at 10 different locations around the park. Each keytag had a letter and a symbol on it. I used the symbols as well so that participants had to visit all 10 waypoints even if they guessed the secret word before visiting all the waypoints. I prepared a sheet with the waypoint coordinates on it for each location and places for participants to record the letters and symbols. It took about an hour to walk the course. When participants had all 10 letters and symbols, they then unjumbled the letters to reveal a code word. Each person who completed the course and discovered the secret codeword received a small chocolate candy bar as a reward. In Australia, you buy them in packs of 12. It was a great day and everyone enjoyed this activity. I will be making this an annual event holding it at a different park here in Sydney, each year.

Here is a link to the now archived event page..... https://coord.info/GC7FVX8

G'day from Australia,

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed a game hosted in one of the local events here.

The host printed out a bunch of photos that were uploaded in logs by geocachers on different caches. Everyone had to fill in a sheet to guess which cache each photo belongs to. No spoilers, just nice viewpoints or attractions from GZ.

Motivate attendees by having some small prizes (swag, trackables, containers, etc.) for winners. Door prizes are always fun too.

On 4/17/2018 at 0:20 PM, EggsTheBest said:

I really enjoyed a game hosted in one of the local events here.

The host printed out a bunch of photos that were uploaded in logs by geocachers on different caches. Everyone had to fill in a sheet to guess which cache each photo belongs to. No spoilers, just nice viewpoints or attractions from GZ.

That's a great idea.  I may have to steal it.  :anibad:

1 minute ago, hzoi said:

That's a great idea.  I may have to steal it.  :anibad:

I created a puzzle cache that was inspired by one similarly done in another area.   It had photos of six somewhat well know caches, into which  I photoshopped a number.  A few were pretty obvious, but a couple were difficult to see.  

Back when film cans were a more popular micro container, we used to incorporate them into events.

film-canister-cache-container2_500.jpg

We had something similar to an egg relay, where instead of balancing an egg on a spoon, cachers had to balance film cans on butter knives.

My first mega event had some other film can related events.  There was film can tossing, and they even had a big bag of film cans and gave away prizes for guessing how many.

They also had another event, nano log rolling, where cachers were timed as they unraveled an entire nano log, sign it, and then rolled it back up and got it back in the container.

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

Back when film cans were a more popular micro container, we used to incorporate them into events.

film-canister-cache-container2_500.jpg

We had something similar to an egg relay, where instead of balancing an egg on a spoon, cachers had to balance film cans on butter knives.

My first mega event had some other film can related events.  There was film can tossing, and they even had a big bag of film cans and gave away prizes for guessing how many.

They also had another event, nano log rolling, where cachers were timed as they unraveled an entire nano log, sign it, and then rolled it back up and got it back in the container.

Line up a bunch of film cans on a log.  Give everyone a slingshot and a handful of nano caches.  The winner is who knocks over the most film cans.  As a side effect, it may destroy the film cans and many nanos will be lost.

• Upvote 2