Leaving my music in a cache?

When more people hid ammo cans in the woods, we used to see a lot of caches loaded only with books, movies, and music.   The cache's name usually told you what was to be traded if you weren't one to read cache pages.    We'd leave an assortment of "stuff" in the car.  :)

These days though,  we wouldn't put anything someone (that we don't know) made into any of our pcs. 

I definitely would listen to a CD I found in a geocache! I've toyed around with the idea of something similar in leaving flash drives in geocaches with music and other cool things on them, sort of like those USB dead drops in big cities. Now whether or not people will be brave enough to insert a random flash drive they found in the woods from some stranger is a different matter entirely, but I think music CDs in caches would be an awesome idea. 

On 4/17/2018 at 10:10 AM, Stakmaster said:

I definitely would listen to a CD I found in a geocache! I've toyed around with the idea of something similar in leaving flash drives in geocaches with music and other cool things on them, sort of like those USB dead drops in big cities. Now whether or not people will be brave enough to insert a random flash drive they found in the woods from some stranger is a different matter entirely, but I think music CDs in caches would be an awesome idea. 

I have found CDs in caches, I listen to them then some I keep and some I leave in other caches.  I also have found a flash drive which no way would I plug it into my computer. I did plug it into an old computer I had and not using but it wouldn't load or open.  SAid all this in my log and left it in another cache.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Microsoft, for giving us autorun of CDs and flash drives. Wasn't that brilliant? How about administrator-by-default? Aah, those were the days, before you figured out security.

It doesn't matter if it's safe to plug those things in nowadays.  Trust, once lost... How does that go?

(I have forensic tools and plug in anything I find.)

7 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Thank you, Microsoft, for giving us autorun of CDs and flash drives. Wasn't that brilliant? How about administrator-by-default? Aah, those were the days, before you figured out security.

It doesn't matter if it's safe to plug those things in nowadays.  Trust, once lost... How does that go?

(I have forensic tools and plug in anything I find.)

I have also heard (and seen first hand) of instances of digital cameras and digital picture frame that were connected with a USB cable that contained a virus.  Several years ago a virus that was propagated using flash drives hit our university.  There were scanning stations (a linux based system running a forensic tool) set up in several places (including where i work) for students to have the flash drives tested.  There were over 1700 compromised flash drives (and at least one digital camera) discovered.  Shortly after that I heard a story on the radio about some digital picture frames with a virus on them.  These were items some bought from a big box electronics store and contained the virus out of the box.

• Upvote 1

Remember the Sony rootkit fiasco?  They implemented a crude form of copy-protection by selling music CDs that installed malware on your computer, made possible by that blasted autorun misfeature.  Permanent changes to your computer, without your permission, and they were destabilizing changes at that.  Supposed to prevent you from accessing the CD as data, but only as music.  Didn't work very well, and neither did your computer in general after that.  They were unapologetic.

To this day, Sony is on my permanent boycott list.