Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
DaMetalStratGuy

Leaving my music in a cache?

Recommended Posts

Would it be acceptable for me to leave a CD in a cache? The CD's would be my own original music and will have my name and the album title and the track list on them. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't see why not. I have found CDs in amocans. Make a hide and leave it as a first to find prize.

Share this post


Link to post

When more people hid ammo cans in the woods, we used to see a lot of caches loaded only with books, movies, and music.   The cache's name usually told you what was to be traded if you weren't one to read cache pages.    We'd leave an assortment of "stuff" in the car.  :)

These days though,  we wouldn't put anything someone (that we don't know) made into any of our pcs. 

Share this post


Link to post

It would be fine.  I don't know if someone would take and listen to it but someone might.  I don't see how it would be any different then us putting a WarNinja's button we had made in a cache.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, DaMetalStratGuy said:

Would it be acceptable for me to leave a CD in a cache? The CD's would be my own original music and will have my name and the album title and the track list on them. 

I think that's a fun idea.

Share this post


Link to post

I definitely would listen to a CD I found in a geocache! I've toyed around with the idea of something similar in leaving flash drives in geocaches with music and other cool things on them, sort of like those USB dead drops in big cities. Now whether or not people will be brave enough to insert a random flash drive they found in the woods from some stranger is a different matter entirely, but I think music CDs in caches would be an awesome idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/17/2018 at 10:10 AM, Stakmaster said:

I definitely would listen to a CD I found in a geocache! I've toyed around with the idea of something similar in leaving flash drives in geocaches with music and other cool things on them, sort of like those USB dead drops in big cities. Now whether or not people will be brave enough to insert a random flash drive they found in the woods from some stranger is a different matter entirely, but I think music CDs in caches would be an awesome idea. 

I have found CDs in caches, I listen to them then some I keep and some I leave in other caches.  I also have found a flash drive which no way would I plug it into my computer. I did plug it into an old computer I had and not using but it wouldn't load or open.  SAid all this in my log and left it in another cache.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, captnemo said:

I also have found a flash drive which no way would I plug it into my computer. 

Ditto. No way.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you, Microsoft, for giving us autorun of CDs and flash drives. Wasn't that brilliant? How about administrator-by-default? Aah, those were the days, before you figured out security.

It doesn't matter if it's safe to plug those things in nowadays.  Trust, once lost... How does that go?

(I have forensic tools and plug in anything I find.)

 

Share this post


Link to post

I would play a CD in my CD player. Yes, I still have working Kenwood CD player that connects to nothing else but speakers.

I would not play a CD in my computer, car, or any other device that does more than just play CD's.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Thank you, Microsoft, for giving us autorun of CDs and flash drives. Wasn't that brilliant? How about administrator-by-default? Aah, those were the days, before you figured out security.

It doesn't matter if it's safe to plug those things in nowadays.  Trust, once lost... How does that go?

(I have forensic tools and plug in anything I find.)

 

I have also heard (and seen first hand) of instances of digital cameras and digital picture frame that were connected with a USB cable that contained a virus.  Several years ago a virus that was propagated using flash drives hit our university.  There were scanning stations (a linux based system running a forensic tool) set up in several places (including where i work) for students to have the flash drives tested.  There were over 1700 compromised flash drives (and at least one digital camera) discovered.  Shortly after that I heard a story on the radio about some digital picture frames with a virus on them.  These were items some bought from a big box electronics store and contained the virus out of the box.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Remember the Sony rootkit fiasco?  They implemented a crude form of copy-protection by selling music CDs that installed malware on your computer, made possible by that blasted autorun misfeature.  Permanent changes to your computer, without your permission, and they were destabilizing changes at that.  Supposed to prevent you from accessing the CD as data, but only as music.  Didn't work very well, and neither did your computer in general after that.  They were unapologetic.

To this day, Sony is on my permanent boycott list.

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry I didn't reply to this faster. 

From what you guys are saying, I think its safe to assume that there isn't much wrong with what I want to do.

Thx guys!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4

×