Permanent outdoor stages

I have attended several theater and musical shows in Permanent outdoor stages usually located in parks or squares and I think it would be an interesting category.

Bandshells (structures that have a roof and are enclosed on three sides) would be excluded.

Some examples courtesy of a google search:

Example:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

And some examples that I have visited:

Example:  1   2   3    4  (Ex. 3 and 4 are from Google street view, I do not know where I put my photos. )

What are your thoughts on this?

• Upvote 1

I’m going to need a lot of convincing.  

Are these interesting?

Can you get a photo of them from a public place you did NOT have to buy an admission ticket for?

Will these be permanently installed and able to be visited all the time, or are they just seasonal?

Why are these stages not redundant with the other outdoor stages we already have, Bandshells and Outdoor ampitheatres?

Has any category officer from Bandshells or Outdoor Ampitheatres been consulted to see if these can be accepted in their existing category?

I am not usually a fan of categories that need a lot of exclusions.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

I’m going to need a lot of convincing.  

Are these interesting?

Can you get a photo of them from a public place you did NOT have to buy an admission ticket for?

Will these be permanently installed and able to be visited all the time, or are they just seasonal?

Why are these stages not redundant with the other outdoor stages we already have, Bandshells and Outdoor ampitheatres?

Has any category officer from Bandshells or Outdoor Ampitheatres been consulted to see if these can be accepted in their existing category?

I am not usually a fan of categories that need a lot of exclusions.

Bandshells are quite specific - they are going to have a covering over them to be able to project the sound to the audience - stages generally do not.  An amphitheater, again, is quite specific, it is going to be a ground level stage with seating usually carved up the side of a hill.  Attached is the bandshell waymark I did from Dodge City.  If the stage doesn't have that cover to make it a bandshell, it can't get waymarked anywhere.  I see exactly why the need for the category.  As far as interesting - I know of one in Pittsburg Kansas that was constructed by the WPA, I think the category might show promise.  I definitely think, though, it would have to be a true stage and not like a raised gazebo where speeches are sometimes given.

DSCN6904.JPG

I like this idea. I have had buildings rejected by bandshells for not having complete 3 sides (only partial). Also have had amphitheater rejection. These are very restricted categories. There is a local stage constructed in a park where they have been doing Shakespeare in the Park for a number of years. It would not fit in either amphitheater or bandshell.

I like this idea. I have had buildings rejected by bandshells for not having complete 3 sides (only partial). Also have had amphitheater rejection. These are very restricted categories. There is a local stage constructed in a park where they have been doing Shakespeare in the Park for a number of years. It would not fit in either amphitheater or bandshell.

Multifarious Multifarious would accept outdoor stages not accepted into bandshells or amphitheaters.