Multi Cache Rules?

Hi,

Do multi caches require at least one physical stage? I have seen some multi caches near me that do not have any physical stages, that aren't listed as virtual caches. When creating a multi cache, do you always have to include at least one physical stage, or can the cache not have any physical stages at all?

Thanks.

My understanding is that the rules now require a physical cache at the end.

But apparently it wasn't always that way. I also have done a "multicache" that was more like a virtual/puzzle cache with no physical cache at the end, just email in a phrase that you learn by going to the sites. It was explained to me that this was an "old" cache that was "grandfathered in".

12 hours ago, edexter said:

All (non virtual) caches are required to have a physical log.

"Virtual cache" types include: (some of which are no longer available to place and/or log)

• EarthCache
  • Event Cache
  • Cache In Trash Out Event (CITO)
  • Mega-Event Cache
  • Giga-Event Cache
  • Geocaching HQ Geocache
  • GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit
  • Lab Caches
  • Virtual Cache
  • Webcam Cache
  • 10 Years! Event Cache
  • Locationless (Reverse) Cache

Off topic, but Geocaching HQ is decidedly not a virtual cache.  There is a giant treasure chest in the lobby, complete with a deluxe logbook and (most of the time) an amazing array of trackables that have been dropped off by visitors.

Missing from the list of virtual cache types are "Lost and Found Event Cache," "Geocaching Block Party," and "Groundspeak Lost and Found Celebration."

1 hour ago, badlands said:

"Virtual cache" types include: (some of which are no longer available to place and/or log)

• EarthCache
  • Event Cache
  • Cache In Trash Out Event (CITO)
  • Mega-Event Cache
  • Giga-Event Cache
  • Geocaching HQ Geocache
  • GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit
  • Lab Caches
  • Virtual Cache
  • Webcam Cache
  • 10 Years! Event Cache
  • Locationless (Reverse) Cache

Hmmm... I think this is a very broad list. :)

In some of the above cases there are containers or at least logbooks to sign, trackables to trade or discover, etc. Physical stuff so to say. :)

In mine "narrow" list, I would include only Virtuals and Webcams. ;)

Edited by RuideAlmeida
43 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

In mine "narrow" list, I would include only Virtuals and Webcams.

From a practical point of view I would agree if you include Earth Caches.

Most events "do" have a log book, but according to the guidelines, signing an event log book is not required.  If a signature in a log book is not required, then, although not explicitly stated, neither is the log book.

4 minutes ago, badlands said:

From a practical point of view I would agree if you include Earth Caches.

You don't need.

From my point of view, ECs are the richest caches in terms of pieces of knowledge/discovery one can learn... and all are related to very physical phenomenons... but hey... I simply expressed an opinion, worth the same than any other. :)

• Upvote 1

I think that all the types of geocaches are equally good, including the grandfathered types (virtual and webcam). I have yet to visit any type of cache other than Traditional, but I'm looking forward to visiting other types of caches in the future.

I checked the listing of the virtual multi cache I mentioned in the first post, and it was published in 2003. Most likely before virtual caches and webcam caches were grandfathered.

40 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

From my point of view, ECs are the richest caches in terms of pieces of knowledge/discovery one can learn

We currently see field puzzles or multi-caches starting at historic locations with physical components in places where they are allowed.

It would be nice elevate educational types of caches to a higher status by awarding them a unique icon.