WAYFROG - need a little help here...

T0SHEA

Hi Wayfroggie,

Could you please point one of the current resident gurus in the direction of the Waymarks Search Page and ask him to at least try and fix the "search by coordinates" function?

It worked perfectly for years then began to get flaky a few weeks ago. Today it is broken - I tried many times in many ways to get it to work using both decimal degrees and degrees & minutes, all to no avail.

Thanks Wayfroggie!!!

Keith

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I often open a specific waymark and click on the "Nearest Waymarks" link, which is pretty much the same, because it uses the coordinates of the initial waymark.

Yeah, but first one must have the coords of that "specific waymark" in order to open it, in most cases.

Last night, for the first time, I was using addresses as a work around. That works, but requires an extra step.

2 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Works fine for me. Has someone fixed it or do you still have problems?

YUP!!! Wouldn't you know it. Worked first try just now. I shall keep my fingers and toes crossed. :huh:

Keith

4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

That, and waymarks from nearest geocache. I just don't remember ever typing in coordinates. 

For that matter, I've never typed in coordinates, either - it's always copy and paste from a map or from an Excel sheet.

Keith

LATER: That was a fluke - it's NOT WORKING once again!!!

Edited by BK-Hunters
15 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I don't remember ever using that feature (search by coordinates).

Those of us who waymark out in the country, and in areas where there are not a lot of Waymarkers, don't have the luxury of using an existing waymark to see if what is in the area of our, say, Country Church or whatever.

Using the nearest waymark 30 miles away is going to give you a listing of things around there; but it might take page after page to see that there might not be anything in the area of your "new?" waymark.   And even then, how do you know when you've waded through enough pages of waymarks near that 30-mile-away waymark to determine that you've actually covered the desired area?

Nope.  The only way to do it when you're out many miles away from other waymarks is to use the coordinates.

I am trying to recreate this issue and not immediately seeing what the problem is. Can someone provide the specific set of steps to reproduce the error? Here's what I tried without any problems:

1. navigate to http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks.aspx
2. Make sure waymark tab is selected
3. type coords directly in the textbox that reads "(optional address or postal code)"
4. Press "search" button

OR 
3. click on the "additional search options" link
4. click the "coordinate search" tab
5. enter coordintaes
6. press "use these coordinates" button
7. Press "search" button

Both of these methods work for me on the waymarks page and also the home page. If you are experiencing something different with either of these methods or trying to do a coordinate search differently, please lay out your steps here to help me figure out the issue. Might help to include the actual coordinates you are using as well.

Thanks,
bootron

2 hours ago, MountainWoods said:

Those of us who waymark out in the country, and in areas where there are not a lot of Waymarkers, don't have the luxury of using an existing waymark to see if what is in the area of our, say, Country Church or whatever.

Using the nearest waymark 30 miles away is going to give you a listing of things around there; but it might take page after page to see that there might not be anything in the area of your "new?" waymark.   And even then, how do you know when you've waded through enough pages of waymarks near that 30-mile-away waymark to determine that you've actually covered the desired area?

Nope.  The only way to do it when you're out many miles away from other waymarks is to use the coordinates.

It may be the way you prefer, but it's certainly not the only way.

3 hours ago, bootron said:

I am trying to recreate this issue and not immediately seeing what the problem is. Can someone provide the specific set of steps to reproduce the error? Here's what I tried without any problems:

3. type coords directly in the textbox that reads "(optional address or postal code)"
4. Press "search" button

OR 
3. click on the "additional search options" link
4. click the "coordinate search" tab
5. enter coordintaes
6. press "use these coordinates" button
7. Press "search" button

Both of these methods work for me on the waymarks page and also the home page. If you are experiencing something different with either of these methods or trying to do a coordinate search differently, please lay out your steps here to help me figure out the issue. Might help to include the actual coordinates you are using as well.

Thanks,
bootron

Hi Bootron,

I've tried both methods outlined above. Until a couple of days ago, when the search simply wouldn't work, I had never used the second method, as there was no need to. 

HOWEVER, today it works except that it changes the search radius from 10 km., which I had selected, back to the default 100 km. and after the search completes only the LAT (46.342908) is left in the input field, the LONG (-63.068739) is gone. The header reads "Search Criteria: All Waymarks Within 100 km of 46.342908" instead of "Search Criteria: All Waymarks Within 10 km of 46.342908 -63.068739", as it should, although the search was successful.

I'm guessing that if I were to try it again in a few minutes, the search would fail and return the results of the most recent successful search with the input field empty and the header reading "Search Criteria: All Waymarks Within 100 km of none", which is its normal behaviour when it fails.

(Just tried it again and everything was normal, search was successful and header reads "Search Criteria: All Waymarks Within 10 km of 46.476622 -63.660700" so who knows what will happen down the road.)

Many Thanks, Keith

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, Max and 99 said:

It may be the way you prefer, but it's certainly not the only way.

Please provide a way given:
Coordinate search is not working.
There are no waymarks within 30 miles of the area where I want to check to see if I'm making a "new" waymark.

I'm at a loss to figure out how to find what's at that location, and open to suggestions.

Hmmmmmm... Addresses busted , too....

Incidentally, addresses worked for me yesterday, but not coords. Haven't tried it today. 

On 4/18/2018 at 0:16 PM, MountainWoods said:

Please provide a way given:
Coordinate search is not working.
There are no waymarks within 30 miles of the area where I want to check to see if I'm making a "new" waymark.

I'm at a loss to figure out how to find what's at that location, and open to suggestions.

MountainWoods - My workaround has been to click on Google Maps until it returned an address (after plugging my coords into the map). Most of the time, in the places I've been WMing lately, it will, but sometimes it will return only a highway number. But when I get an addy AND the search function is working it is a useful workaround - UNTIL Bootron nails down the problem and implements a permanent fix.

Keith

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, Max and 99 said:

If there are no waymarks within 30 miles of where you want to post a new waymark, then there's no need to check. 

I often use the nearest waymarks from a rural geocache page to let me know if there are any waymarks nearby, and how far away. There are lots of rural areas where I live. 

You're still missing the point.  You are assuming that one knows something before they know it.  How am I supposed to know that there are no waymarks within 30 miles of where I want to post the new one, unless I can use COORDINATE SEARCH to see what is in the vicinity?  There is no other "handle" or reference thing to see if there are waymarks in the area, except to start to make a new one that may or may not be extraneous.

Anyway, I use the coordinate search very often; and it does not make sense for someone who doesn't use it to say that it isn't necessary just because they don't use it.  Naturally, everyone has to waymark the same way or they are doing it wrong?

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:15 AM, BK-Hunters said:

Hmmmmmm... Addresses busted , too....

Incidentally, addresses worked for me yesterday, but not coords. Haven't tried it today. 

MountainWoods - My workaround has been to click on Google Maps until it returned an address (after plugging my coords into the map). Most of the time, in the places I've been WMing lately, it will, but sometimes it will return only a highway number. But when I get an addy AND the search function is working it is a useful workaround - UNTIL Bootron nails down the problem and implements a permanent fix.

Keith

Thank you.  I like replies that provide useful information. :):) 

Of course, this work around does require extra steps, as you've pointed out.  Getting the coordinate search working again will be wonderful.

By the way, I still only get the map to display about 35% to 40% of the time; and that's after getting a new computer with (absolutely lousy) Windows 10.  Most of the time it just shows an empty box.  We have 1.5 Mbits/sec here, and someone mentioned that it could be an internet latency issue, though I don't see why.  If it's going to display something, it should just display it, no matter how long it takes TO display it.  But soon that may not be an issue, since we're getting fiber optic put in with speeds of about 256 Mbits per.  That'll be wonderful!

2 hours ago, MountainWoods said:

You're still missing the point.  You are assuming that one knows something before they know it.  How am I supposed to know that there are no waymarks within 30 miles of where I want to post the new one, unless I can use COORDINATE SEARCH to see what is in the vicinity?  There is no other "handle" or reference thing to see if there are waymarks in the area, except to start to make a new one that may or may not be extraneous.

Anyway, I use the coordinate search very often; and it does not make sense for someone who doesn't use it to say that it isn't necessary just because they don't use it.  Naturally, everyone has to waymark the same way or they are doing it wrong?

I pointed out that there is more than one way to search after YOU pointed out that your way is the "only way":

3 hours ago, MountainWoods said:

Thank you.  I like replies that provide useful information. :):) 

Of course, this work around does require extra steps, as you've pointed out.  Getting the coordinate search working again will be wonderful.

By the way, I still only get the map to display about 35% to 40% of the time; and that's after getting a new computer with (absolutely lousy) Windows 10.  Most of the time it just shows an empty box.  We have 1.5 Mbits/sec here, and someone mentioned that it could be an internet latency issue, though I don't see why.  If it's going to display something, it should just display it, no matter how long it takes TO display it.  But soon that may not be an issue, since we're getting fiber optic put in with speeds of about 256 Mbits per.  That'll be wonderful!

Good to know you've upgraded your internet service!  I still thought you were still tying messages to the leg of that Pileated Woodpecker we saw when we were out to your place!!!  :D  

20 hours ago, iconions said:

Good to know you've upgraded your internet service!  I still thought you were still tying messages to the leg of that Pileated Woodpecker we saw when we were out to your place!!!  :D  

No. We currently still have the 1.5 Mbits/sec service we had back then.  But our phone service (CenturyLink) is being upstaged by our power company (Barry Electric Cooperative)!  We'll be replacing our internet service AND phones (using VoIP) in about a month (sometime in May).  So long old phone carrier, time for some real speed.  And from our power carrier at that!  They're the ones bringing in the fiber optic below their power lines on the poles.  (BEC has always been a great company, so that's not surprising.)

Another great advantage is that we won't have to switch off our phone lines during lightning storms.  I installed a big knife switch on the incoming phone line some time back, after we had lost so many phones, modems, and what have you on the CenturyLink phone lines.  We through the knife switch off during lightning.   With fiber optic, we won't be doing that.  We can actually watch the storms approaching on the web during the storm!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MountainWoods said:

No. We currently still have the 1.5 Mbits/sec service we had back then.  But our phone service (CenturyLink) is being upstaged by our power company (Barry Electric Cooperative)!  We'll be replacing our internet service AND phones (using VoIP) in about a month (sometime in May).  So long old phone carrier, time for some real speed.  And from our power carrier at that!  They're the ones bringing in the fiber optic below their power lines on the poles.  (BEC has always been a great company, so that's not surprising.)

Another great advantage is that we won't have to switch off our phone lines during lightning storms.  I installed a big knife switch on the incoming phone line some time back, after we had lost so many phones, modems, and what have you on the CenturyLink phone lines.  We through the knife switch off during lightning.   With fiber optic, we won't be doing that.  We can actually watch the storms approaching on the web during the storm!

Nice - we need to get back down to your neck of the Woods (literally)...