Wherigo.com site upload not working

DrPflug

This is BAD news for me. I have a working, tested Wherigo that I need to upload for an event in two weeks where I promised to have it ready. It already exists in a compiled version, runs just fine on my phone, tested live in the woods. But I can't upload it!

Is it possible to get a temporary OK to upload it to my own site, strictly only until HQ gets it together and I can upload it properly? Or are new wherigos simply locked out for an unknown amount of time?

On 4/13/2018 at 11:25 AM, SnowstormMK said:

It may take several days

You've got your requested, "some kind of estimate when to try again", in the Lackey statement I quote. I'd try again on Tuesday 17 April, or maybe Wednesday, April 18, myself. If it's still not available, then I'd come back here and whine some ;-) 

If your cart has already been field tested, great. If you'd like to let someone else test  run it, then sure, upload to your own site so they can grab it, or just share it directly.

• Upvote 1

You cannot publish a Wherigo Geocache on Geocaching.com until the cart upload to Wherigo.com works.  This is an inconvenience, but  as it's two weeks to the event, I think you'll be okay. 

You could write up the cache page, and submit it, just to be sure that the final location is okay (unless you already are sure of that).  Explain in a Reviewer note the cart is NOT uploaded, as the Wherigo site is down, and link to this thread. That way, as soon as the cart is uploaded and you have that link, your cache is ready to go. No further delays in publication that might run into the event date. 

• Upvote 1

I have been trying the whole day to upload new cartridge version to Wherigo.com. Unsuccessfully. No error message, no message at all, just no new version uploaded. Wouldn't it be just professional to place a message about planned maintenance somewhere on the Wherigo.com webpage?

P.S. You should probably remove the NEW icon next to the Wherigo Player, as we have just celebrated the 10th anniversary of it...

On 15. 4. 2018 at 4:02 PM, Ragnemalm said:

Yes, I guess it is tuesday.

But is it not legal to make a Wherigo geocache where the Wherigo is downloaded from somewhere else. :(

Is it legal to make a Mystery cache using a Wherigo cartridge stored on some place other than Wherigo.com?

This explains why I couldn't upload an update to one of my cartridges. SnowstormMK, is there an ETA on when the functionality will be returned?

Second and even more of a weighty question which I am sure has been asked before........ Does HQ have any future plans to upgrade/update the Wherigo website?  Its been something like 10 years since any updates have taken place. With all cell phone platforms all having Wherigo apps to play the cartridges, it would be fantastic if HQ can put some resources back into the Wherigo platform. 

Thank you for any info you have. 

12 minutes ago, on4bam said:

I don't think there are laws concerning Wherigo's . There will be rules though ;).

Too bad Wherigo is so badly developed as it offers so much more than just picking up traditionals.

I don't know I would go as far as to says its "badly developed". Rather, its not been updated and maintained. The problem with Wherigos when they came out was the limitations of the players available for them. Pocket PC or Garmin Oregon and Montanas. Thats really about it. Garmin stopped putting the players on their GPSs, that all but killed it. Then the smart phone showed up and the app developers followed. The two main cell phone platforms have Wherigo apps that play the cartridges far better than the Garmin GPS units could play them. The problem is HQ has not done any updates to the Wherigo platform in like 10 years.  With more people having players to play Wherigos, its really time for the platform to be updated. It has so much potential now than it ever did in 2006.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, mc3cats said:

I don't know I would go as far as to says its "badly developed". Rather, its not been updated and maintained.

Well, that's what I mean, there's no more development for years. In the mean time just about every Wherigo we did had a lot to offer, they were creative caches and it's too bad the site looks almost orphaned.

On4bam, hopefully with enough of us posting on this forum that HQ will see that there is still very much an interest in Wherigos. Personally, I have put out 13 Wherigos with another one pending. I have even built cartridges for other players. So, to say I like doing WIGs is well an understatement. WIGs add another dimension to geocaching. To keep something going, long term, you have to keep it fresh. WIGs, if updated with a more enriched player and builder experience, will do just that....keep it fresh. 

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

A  cache published on Geocaching.com that requires running a Wherigo cart is  a Wherigo, not a Mystery. And the cart must be loaded to Wherigo.com. 

But does that imply that a Wherigo on another site would be legal as a mystery cache? And, for that matter, programs (e.g. web scripts) that do something similar? Like that... whatever it was called. I don't think it is legal to demand installation of programs on your computer or phone, but running a web script seems fine. And downloading a Wherigo could be, too.

And now it is tuesday and it still isn't working. :/

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, mc3cats said:

...The problem with Wherigos when they came out was the limitations of the players available for them. Pocket PC or Garmin Oregon and Montanas. Thats really about it. Garmin stopped putting the players on their GPSs, that all but killed it. Then the smart phone showed up and the app developers followed. The two main cell phone platforms have Wherigo apps that play the cartridges far better than the Garmin GPS units could play them. The problem is HQ has not done any updates to the Wherigo platform in like 10 years.  With more people having players to play Wherigos, its really time for the platform to be updated. It has so much potential now than it ever did in 2006.

Agreed.  We've only found a couple, and at the time, the other 2/3rds simply used her iphone  (where I had a windows phone).  Now that a great number of folks are using their phones for caching, I really thought Wherigo could/would have been updated (maybe for geotour promotions).   :)

Speaking of lack of progress on Wherigos, the documentation is a major point where it is lacking. There are most likely big possibilities that I just don't know how to access.

And too many Wherigos are junk Wherigos. You can slap one together in Wherigo\\kit in no time at all, but it will be rubbish. With my first, I went far beyond that, and with my second, that I now try to upload, I am still doing things that are sadly uncommon, although basically just using the "inventory" a tiny bit. That shouldn't be hard, and it isn't, but most Wherigos don't touch on even such basic functionality, and that gives the whole concept a bad name.

And I am still waiting for the compiler to come back. :(

On 4/17/2018 at 0:46 PM, Ragnemalm said:

But does that imply that a Wherigo on another site would be legal as a mystery cache? And, for that matter, programs (e.g. web scripts) that do something similar? Like that... whatever it was called. I don't think it is legal to demand installation of programs on your computer or phone, but running a web script seems fine. And downloading a Wherigo could be, too.

And now it is tuesday and it still isn't working. :/

You might want to look a Intercaches (https://www.intercaching.com) .   The site recommends listing them as multi-caches but a lot of them are listed as mysteries as well.  They don't require installing any additional software or apps (it's  web application accessible using a mobile brower).  Any phone that has a browser and a built in GPS can be used. They are not quite as elaborate as Whereigos but are still interactive and can be quite similar.  The developer of the intercaching site is a regular here and even though the platform hasn't been updated in awhile, seems to be open to suggestions.  

59 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

The site recommends listing them as multi-caches but a lot of them are listed as mysteries as well.

For a good reason because guidelines for multi-caches requires this: "The cache can be found by reading the cache page and following the instructions in the field." and disallows this "The cache cannot be found without calculation, or research that goes beyond reading the cache page."

Basically you should be able to find multi-cache with a printed copy of the cache description and a GPSr.

Edited by arisoft
15 minutes ago, arisoft said:

For a good reason because guidelines for multi-caches requires this: "The cache can be found by reading the cache page and following the instructions in the field." and disallows this "The cache cannot be found without calculation, or research that goes beyond reading the cache page."

Actually, one can complete an intercache without reading the cache page.  If you go to the published coordinates and know the name of the cache you can go to the intercaching.com site, look up the name, then start following the instructions.   The instructions can all be found on the intercaching site.   

Intercaching has been suggested to me (see my post from tuesday) but it isn't really in my plan to rebuild my complete and tested Wherigo to an Intercache slightly more than one week before the deadline. I was *done* and now I can't pass the finish line one step ahead...

I havn't tried Intercaching but from what I understand it is doesn't give much more freedom than Wherigos, right?

I have the same problem like Ragnemalm. In want to publish a Wherigo-cache as a bonus for all the participants of my CITO on 21th of April. 

What about uploading the cartridge on wherigofoundation.com? It is legal to put a download link from this site in my cache listing?

I also don't understand the lack of communication for this problem. A small note in the Newsletter from Groundspeak or next to the upload-button on Wherigo.com should not be difficult. But it prevent that owners of Wherigo-caches getting frustrating.

I hope that this maintenance ends soon. 

Greetings from Germany

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Sh1rkan said:

What about uploading the cartridge on wherigofoundation.com? It is legal to put a download link from this site in my cache listing?

Sorry, but no.  A Wherigo cache requires a link to an active cartridge on Wherigo.com; otherwise, it can't be published.  Thanks for your patience during the maintenance window.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Keystone said:

Sorry, but no.  A Wherigo cache requires a link to an active cartridge on Wherigo.com; otherwise, it can't be published.  Thanks for your patience during the maintenance window.

ok. The reviewer of my cache told me one hour later the same. 

In a situation like this, that's stupid

It is a very poor show to announce the 'routine maintenance' only after a cacher has been unable to upload a cartridge, checking the Wherigo section here I see they didn't even tell Ranger Fox.

A practical suggestion for those with events planned : upload the cartridge to Wherigo foundation or anywhere else you fancy (or even take it along on a laptop and ask folk to bring their own cables) . Let your attendees download and  run the Wherigo, have the fun, sign the cache log etc.  The caching experience is all there, they can have all the fun, the only thing missing is that they can't immediately log it on line, they must wait for the smiley until you can publish the listing.

Or perhaps there is an alternative cache listing site you can use in your area ?

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Keystone said:

Sorry, but maintenance window (with no improvements) lasting a week? I want to maintain my Wherigo geocaches. This often requires uploading a new version of the cartridge. I have not been able to do that for a week. Could you at least estimate how long this situation will last?

Gently there Ragnemalm, you got a standard response for all things Wherigo.   GeocachingHQ staff asks everyone with Wherigo related tech issues to report to these forums. 

I expect that when they shut down the Wherigo upload page, they were hoping that a day or two or three would do it. What they found was a mess. Touch one thing, break another - a giant plate of spaghetti, all tangled. They started picking at it, and the meatballs rolled off and the hamsters started nibbling on them. Now they have to reconstitute the meatballs, sans recipe. 

I bet those working on it are likewise really, really wishing it was done.  And really working to get it done.

I think some whining to let 'em know that somebody cares is okay. Civil whining, thanks

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

I expect that when they shut down the Wherigo upload page, they were hoping that a day or two or three would do it. What they found was a mess. Touch one thing, break another - a giant plate of spaghetti, all tangled. They started picking at it, and the meatballs rolled off and the hamsters started nibbling on them. Now they have to reconstitute the meatballs, sans recipe. 

That's not really how things work unless the issue is a data migration or some huge data update which is running WAY slower than what they expected. If it's an application change, that's done offline, tested, and then deployed without being down for days (or possibly even down at all).  And of course there's always the option to roll back and retest in non-prod until it's working and try again.

2 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

That's not really how things work unless the issue is a data migration or some huge data update which is running WAY slower than what they expected. If it's an application change, that's done offline, tested, and then deployed without being down for days (or possibly even down at all).  And of course there's always the option to roll back and retest in non-prod until it's working and try again.

Yup, that's how it's supposed to be done, but.... (self-censored to avoid another forum ban :ph34r:)

Well it's April 22 and I tried again and still no luck. Again, this is just a revised cartridge to an existing puplished Wherigo (Hutto Hippos).  Last revised on March 31 and I uploaded that revision without a problem.   Can someone from Groundspeak reply with a status on this issue?

3 hours ago, Frau Potter said:

Greetings from Signal's Lily Pad,

I'm happy to report that the engineers have finished the maintenance of Wherigo.com and returned the ability to upload Wherigo cartridges. If anyone has trouble uploading cartridges, please tell them to write to us via the Help Center so we can help to troubleshoot. 

Cindy / Frau Potter

Thanks for the update.  But it does not seem to work for me.  This time it uploads, but I get the following error:

Error Occurred

You are attempting to upload an invalid GWZ file.

5 hours ago, Frau Potter said:

Greetings from Signal's Lily Pad,

I'm happy to report that the engineers have finished the maintenance of Wherigo.com and returned the ability to upload Wherigo cartridges. If anyone has trouble uploading cartridges, please tell them to write to us via the Help Center so we can help to troubleshoot. 

Cindy / Frau Potter

Ms. Potter, I was able to upload a revised cartridge for my Leavenworth Wherigo cache and it uploaded just fine. Please convey my sincerest gratitude to the hamsters there at HQ. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, SoaringEagle said:

Thanks for the update.  But it does not seem to work for me.  This time it uploads, but I get the following error:

Error Occurred

You are attempting to upload an invalid GWZ file.

I have been trying to upload and get this responce

Error During Upload

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> You are attempting to upload an invalid GWZ file. at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Wherigo.GSPCartridgeService.CartridgeService.GetCompiledCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String CartridgeFileName, String CartridgeId, Int64 PlayerId, String PlayerName, DeviceType deviceType, String CompletionCode) at cartridge_download.btnDownload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

I think it is worse than before. Now you cannot load a cartrige on a player.

On every cartridge I tested I get the error:

Error During Upload

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> You are attempting to upload an invalid GWZ file. at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Wherigo.GSPCartridgeService.CartridgeService.GetCompiledCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String CartridgeFileName, String CartridgeId, Int64 PlayerId, String PlayerName, DeviceType deviceType, String CompletionCode) at cartridge_download.btnDownload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

but I don't upload a file, I want to download...

Error_Download_Cartridge_20180426.JPG

Edited by et2728
23 minutes ago, gustmoge said:

I think topic is not correct anymore. Now its downloadning that doesn't work even thou error message says uploading... I guess a GET in the webcode is a PUT??

That sux... I hope this gets fixed fast as I'm preparing our cachingday for Saturday of Tuesday and one of the caches is a nice Wherigo with many favorites.