Hiding a spoiler log

arisoft

As some of us already knows, many of the fierce clashes between geocachers caused by the contents of the logs. Geocachers writing the log mostly not understand that they are on the cache owner's "private area" while posting the log and the cache owner should respond to any spoilers they post deliberately or accidentally.

The current tool by "encrypting" the log is just a joke. Instead of preventing spoilers it just makes them easier to find. That is why many cache owners avoids "encrypting" logs and prefers to delete log or request to change the content and this may lead to problems because people behind the nicknames may have different view to the situation.

My suggestion is to add possibility to hide the log entry from public. If the cache owner feels that the log content is not suitable for publishing for any reason, but there is no need to remove the status update the log actually presents, the cache owner could temporarily or permanently hide the log text and images from public. Only the cache owner and the player who posted the log should have access to the hidden content.

Edited by arisoft
grammar
  • Upvote 4
5 hours ago, arisoft said:

My suggestion is to add possibility to hide the log entry from public. If the cache owner feels that the log content is not suitable for publishing for any reason, but there is no need to remove the status update the log actually presents, the cache owner could temporarily or permanently hide the log text and images from public.

I'd prefer they just delete and email the cacher, asking for a new log. 

Logs such as, "Looking for a small cache, found a pill bottle instead", "A poor area for a cache.  So much garbage about, I just question why place one here?", "A homeless camp right next to it", "Do you have any idea when maintenance is finally going to be done?  It's been disabled for three months."  -    might "upset" the CO and then simply deleted by them (like what happens now).

Removing what may be valuable information for future seekers by hiding it from view isn't part of my, or the cache's history.   I'd rather they asked me for a change, so I could simply write TFTC , which might provide a clue about it (since all here know I don't leave logs like that).  :)

• Upvote 4

When a log (and find) is deleted, notification goes to the cacher that posted it.    I've never noticed one of my logs encrypted, but I'd assume that no notification's necessary since the logs still there (kinda). 

I'd be real ticked (after questioned at an event) to find someone saying "Thought I was gonna be FTF after three days of no logs.  Cerberus found it on day one, but never logged it here."  in their log.  

They couldn't see I found it and logged in (when I got home), because the CO "hid"  my "By the cache page thought I'd find a small, but the bison tube micro's too little for the trackables I wanted to drop." from view...

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

They couldn't see I found it and logged in (when I got home), because the CO "hid"  my "By the cache page thought I'd find a small, but the bison tube micro's too little for the trackables I wanted to drop." from view...

I do not suggest that log status could be hidden as you supposed.

6 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I think that what arisoft suggests is that the log text is hidden by the CO, but the log entry itself is still there.  Essentially, it would look like someone entered a blank log.

This is an interesting idea. I can see the OP's point, but I think it's better to just delete the log and ask the cacher to submit a new log without the spoiler information.

I've seen logs on caches, mostly from cachers with a small number of finds, that say something like "Look under the rock" or "Under the bench".  No other text in the log. There is one on my own cache that I was tempted to delete, but my cache is pretty easy anyway and they just said "Look under" and not what to look under. Plus they added other non-spoiler comments after those two words and I eventually just forgot about it and now I don't feel it's right to delete someone's log almost a year after they submitted it.

But I digress. The OP's idea has some merit, but I think it's better to delete the log and explain why their log text was inappropriate, or encrypt the log even though it's easily decrypted.

1 hour ago, arisoft said:

I do not suggest that log status could be hidden as you supposed.

17 minutes ago, noncentric said:

I think that what arisoft suggests is that the log text is hidden by the CO, but the log entry itself is still there.  Essentially, it would look like someone entered a blank log.

Unless it's been changed, I'm not allowed to log a find and leave a blank log. you must put something in the text box.

- Though from past threads,  I'd think my "blank" log would get the same point across as anything the CO wanted to hide.  :D

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, noncentric said:

This is an interesting idea. I can see the OP's point, but I think it's better to just delete the log and ask the cacher to submit a new log without the spoiler information.

If the CO can hide the spoiling log temporarily there is plenty of time to edit the log and then unhide the log when it is correct. Deleting any log, spoling or not, makes people nervous. This feature could remove all disputes relating to the content of the log.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 1
21 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Unless it's been changed, I'm not allowed to log a find and leave a blank log. you must put something in the text box.

- Though from past threads,  I'd think my "blank" log would get the same point across as anything the CO wanted to hide.  :D

Yes, cachers that know how the logging system works would realize that a blank log was deleted by the CO.  Probably the same point as when seeing that a log is encrypted, but an encrypted log can be decrypted, while a blank log is just blank.

21 hours ago, arisoft said:

If the CO can hide the spoiling log temporarily there is plenty of time to edit the log and then unhide the log when it is correct. Deleting any log, spoling or not, makes people nervous. This feature could remove all disputes relating to the content of the log.

I see your point. I'm not opposed to the idea, although I don't think it will be high on the priority list of things that get worked on. It's not a bad idea.

21 minutes ago, noncentric said:

I see your point. I'm not opposed to the idea, although I don't think it will be high on the priority list of things that get worked on. It's not a bad idea.

I am not sure about this priority. I don't know how many unnecessary disputes HQ must handle. My experience is that everything which can eliminate potential disputes have been done. I also know that players who do not tolerate spoilers are subject to ridicule.

On 4/13/2018 at 3:12 AM, arisoft said:

As some of us already knows, many of the fierce clashes between geocachers caused by the contents of the logs. Geocachers writing the log mostly not understand that they are on the cache owner's "private area" while posting the log and the cache owner should respond to any spoilers they post deliberately or accidentally.

The current tool by "encrypting" the log is just a joke. Instead of preventing spoilers it just makes them easier to find. That is why many cache owners avoids "encrypting" logs and prefers to delete log or request to change the content and this may lead to problems because people behind the nicknames may have different view to the situation.

My suggestion is to add possibility to hide the log entry from public. If the cache owner feels that the log content is not suitable for publishing for any reason, but there is no need to remove the status update the log actually presents, the cache owner could temporarily or permanently hide the log text and images from public. Only the cache owner and the player who posted the log should have access to the hidden content.

I agree.  Side comment: if you hide a spoiler log and lock it, the LO wouldn't have the opportunity to make any changes. I think hiding a spoiler log is a great idea, but I do not like that the CO can lock my log. But I'm happy to edit it if asked to (if not locked).

Edited by Max and 99