Bridge geocaches?

321geocache

Hi,

I am new to geocaching, and just had a question. I noticed that there are some geocaches near me that are hidden on small road bridges. The caches are not hidden on highway bridges, just two lane road bridges. Some of these are in residential areas. I read that geocaches cannot be placed on highway bridges. Are the caches I described breaking the geocaching rules, or are they OK because they are on a small road bridge, not a highway bridge?

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

"Bridge" hides depends on the area.  Many countries/states policies can be found in the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki.  

We've found many on/under/in bridges.  :)

If you're not sure of, or have questions about placement, an email to your local Reviewer's a good bet as well. 

This^^^^^

Too many unknowns to draw any conclusions. Is the cache under the bridge, at the foot of the bridge? Is there a walkway/bicycle path on the bridge? 

2 hours ago, 321geocache said:

I read that geocaches cannot be placed on highway bridges.

For reference, here's the relevant section of the guidelines (emphasis added):

Stay away from restricted areas

Do not place geocaches in restricted, prohibited, or otherwise inappropriate locations. Some areas have additional regulations and laws that further restrict geocache placement. Geocaching HQ staff or a community volunteer may temporarily disable or permanently archive the cache page if any of the following is reported. (This list is not comprehensive.)

• A landowner or land manager reports the geocache.
  • The geocache is in an area that is sensitive to additional foot or vehicular traffic. Examples may include archaeological sites, historical sites, and cemeteries.
  • The geocache is on railroad property or right of way. See the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki for details in your region.
  • The geocache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure. Examples include highway bridges, major roadways, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other areas defined in the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki.
  • Locations that strongly encourage or require access through restricted locations.

Basically, if the bridge (or roadway, or whatever) is major enough that a geocache placement could be problematic, then you can't put a geocache there.

Thanks, niraD, for quoting the relevant listing guideline language concerning "highway bridges."  The interpretation of what exactly constitutes a "highway bridge" may vary from one region or another, and may be location-dependent even within the same general region (for example, urban vs. rural areas).

Next door to the OP in Ohio, I've found it helpful to use a bright line test:  a "highway" is an Interstate, a Federal Highway or a State Highway.  Elsewhere, reviewers may apply a different standard, like "a highway is four lanes or more, separated by a center divider." 

In contrast, a two-lane county road in a rural area is not something I'd consider to be a "highway."  A cache at the end of a guardrail on a bridge taking that road across a nice fishing stream would be a nice placement.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

On 4/12/2018 at 3:01 PM, garyo1954 said:

Too many unknowns to draw any conclusions. Is the cache under the bridge, at the foot of the bridge? Is there a walkway/bicycle path on the bridge? 

I don't really know 100%. I assume it's on top of the bridge, possibly on the guardrail, due to the cache description. There is no walkway or bicycle path on the bridge, only a wide shoulder on either side of the road.

23 hours ago, Keystone said:

Next door to the OP in Ohio, I've found it helpful to use a bright line test:  a "highway" is an Interstate, a Federal Highway or a State Highway.  Elsewhere, reviewers may apply a different standard, like "a highway is four lanes or more, separated by a center divider." 

In contrast, a two-lane county road in a rural area is not something I'd consider to be a "highway."  A cache at the end of a guardrail on a bridge taking that road across a nice fishing stream would be a nice placement.

It's definitely not a highway. It's a small two lane road that crosses over a creek. The speed limit is 35 MPH. It's in a semi-rural area - not really that rural, but also pretty far from being a very busy area. It's technically located within the city, but it's 1/2 mile from where the city ends and road names start becoming county roads.

I can provide a link to the geocache page if needed.

My main question is: If a geocache is hidden on a non-highway bridge, is that OK?

Thanks.

Edited by 321geocache