... *watch* certain geocaches?

EmzyJanezy

This may not even be possible, but I thought I'd ask in case it is.

Is there a way to *watch* certain geocaches for activity? 

I'm asking because I'm going to be placing home-made swag into some and it would be great to be notified when somebody has visited those caches without having to constantly check the logs individually.

Like I said, this may not be possible, but I thought no harm in asking.

4 hours ago, EmzyJanezy said:

I'm asking because I'm going to be placing home-made swag into some and it would be great to be notified when somebody has visited those caches without having to constantly check the logs individually.

If you're watching to see who grabs your home-made swag, rare for us to see mention of "trades" in peoples logs anymore.  Rarely mention leaving/taking trackables as well (which might have helped some if they go missing).   So if you're not expecting it, it could be fun to see mention of one.   :)

Mentioning taking something would mean you'd have to mention leaving something.    ;)

When we check our ammo cans at maintenance, most are close to empty (most times even the pencils and all sharpeners).  We fill them with "stuff".  Every year we pick certain areas and fill ammo cans to the top with new-in-box Hallmark ornaments, between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Most COs see their caches empty in the Spring, with nada for a "trade".

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

If you're watching to see who grabs your home-made swag, rare for us to see mention of "trades" in peoples logs anymore.  Rarely mention leaving/taking trackables as well (which might have helped some if they go missing).   So if you're not expecting it, it could be fun to see mention of one.   :)

Mentioning taking something would mean you'd have to mention leaving something.    ;)

When we check our ammo cans at maintenance, most are close to empty (most times even the pencils and all sharpeners).  We fill them with "stuff".  Every year we pick certain areas and fill ammo cans to the top with new-in-box Hallmark ornaments, between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Most COs see their caches empty in the Spring, with nada for a "trade".

Exactly!

Yeah, I'm not expecting miracles lol.  Although I am mentioning if I leave anything in a cache in my logs.  

I'm also interested to read others' experience of a cache I'm familiar with, or if I've got a frustrating DNF I'm interested to read how the next person got on with it, that sort of thing.

Anyway, its so easy, I can't believe I couldn't work it out for myself lol.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:28 AM, EmzyJanezy said:

Thank you! :)

Since you also recently mentioned sending out some travel bugs you can also watch trackable items.  Just go to the trackable item page and click on "Watch this trackable item".  I've done that on a few TBs I've picked up and moved far away to see where they go next.

• Upvote 1

Most of the caches on my Watchlist are "lonely" caches that I found and are found infrequently.  It surprises me that some of them still haven't been found or even attempted, but I guess that's because the terrain was 2.5+.  Another segment of my Watchlist are caches that I DNF'd and I want to revisit if other caches subsequently find it or if the CO does maintenance.

I think it's a great feature.

Cachers can have any Bookmark List serve as a watchlist, by selecting to receive Notifications for that Bookmark List.

Edited by noncentric
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Yes, but you get more notifications from the watchlist than the bookmark list, right? I use both!

Not sure what you mean by "more notifications"?  The option for Bookmark Lists is to get a notification email whenever a cache in the list gets a new log, which is the same action that happens for caches in the Watchlist.  I think they're the same.  Of course, if you have a cache on both your Watchlist and a Bookmark List with notifications, then you'd probably get two emails.  I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure.