Photo backpack recommendation

hzoi

As my LowePro Orion Trekker is about to give up the ghost, I think it is time I get a new camera bag.

I would get another LowePro Orion Trekker, as it is a great travel bag, just enough room for a camera and a couple lenses in bottom and a daypack in the top portion for flashlight, GPSr, travel bugs, and whatnot.

lowepro-a1-1000x700.jpg

Sadly, this line is long discontinued, as is the Orion Trekker II, so I don't have that option.

The only drawback this had for me was its inability to hold long lenses - I can fit a Canon 5D Mk II with grip and lens attached, plus another two lenses in the bottom portion, but my 70-200mm zoom had to go in a padded case in the top compartment.  Which is how that lens was recently damaged, as the zipper came open and the lens dropped onto the floor.

So.  I am looking for a camera backpack that isn't massive and can carry a mix of camera gear and other whatnot, that works well both on the trail and as a carry-on item.  If you have a recommendation, I welcome it.  (If you can add a photo of what you can hold in it, that would also be quite helpful.)

I have found the same difficulties that you have trying to find the correct backpack so I can geocache have my camera have water for my dog water and food for my dog. Hard quest for the perfect backpack. It's so important to be able to take your camera out quickly and it's not always that easy just to have it around your neck or sling it

Edited by tamike000
Oops

finding the right backpack is hard! Finding one that will fit the bigger lenses (like the 70-200mm or bigger) is even harder. By the time you find one that's big enough for the camera and lens as well as with a daypack portion, it's going to start getting good sized. You might want to check out the Thinktank line. I hear a lot of good things about them (and a friend loves hers) and am seriously considering one of their bags when I have to get a new one.

I've been using Tamrac Evolution 9 for my main backpack. It's big but it'll carry my 5D with the 70-200 or the 100-400 on it plus additional lens(es). It also has a small daypack portion on top (and laptop compartment) that I can put snacks/cache stuff/whatever in it. Tarmac is still around but was bought out and not sure if the quality is still there or not. I have a smaller one that's older but won't hold the larger lenses.

• Upvote 1
On 8/24/2018 at 9:52 PM, kyoteh said:

Tamrac Evolution 9

Seems that line has been discontinued - and the line that was supposed to replace it has also been discontinued.  I guess the Tamron takeover has played a part.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:52 PM, kyoteh said:

You might want to check out the Thinktank line.

Thanks!  The rotation180° series looks like it might be just what I was looking for - and I'd never heard of the company before so I might not have known to look for it. 

panorama-rotate_medium.gif?v=1532987621

I really like the option to just spin out the camera compartment without having to take the pack off - that's really smart.

On 9/11/2018 at 8:36 AM, hzoi said:

Seems that line has been discontinued - and the line that was supposed to replace it has also been discontinued.  I guess the Tamron takeover has played a part.

Thanks!  The rotation180° series looks like it might be just what I was looking for - and I'd never heard of the company before so I might not have known to look for it. 

panorama-rotate_medium.gif?v=1532987621

I really like the option to just spin out the camera compartment without having to take the pack off - that's really smart.

Looks cool...but I'm not sure if it justifies a $500 (or even $200) price tag.

Then again, I guess if you can afford a $3000 camera, a few hundred on a bag is no big deal.

23 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

Looks cool...but I'm not sure if it justifies a $500 (or even $200) price tag.

Then again, I guess if you can afford a $3000 camera, a few hundred on a bag is no big deal.

I don't drive a fancy car, and I don't own a fancy house.  My idea of a vacation involves a backpack full of camera gear and a GPSr, and the camera backpack I've been using is about played out after 20 years of abuse.

So while this is at the upper end of what I'd consider paying for a bag, if it does what I want it to do for the next 20 years, then it's money well spent.

If ever I can return the favor and opine on your spending habits, just let me know.  :anibad:

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

If ever I can return the favor and opine on your spending habits, just let me know.  :anibad:

I did no such thing. 

If I could afford to spend that much on anything, I'd still find it hard to justify.  It's not a judgement on anyone but myself. 

If ever I can return the favor and put words in your mouth, just let me know.

Edited by J Grouchy
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
16 hours ago, J Grouchy said:
18 hours ago, hzoi said:

I did no such thing. 

If I could afford to spend that much on anything, I'd still find it hard to justify.  It's not a judgement on anyone but myself. 

If ever I can return the favor and put words in your mouth, just let me know.

I need to walk this back.  I read too much into your comment.  Sorry for being defensive.

Under the new privacy/forum rules, I guess I could delete my post, but Imma leave it there as a reminder to myself.

• Upvote 1