Literary Book Marks

I'm feeling sorry for the member who posted this new proposed category, especially since she went and purchased a premium membership to be able to be the founder of the category.  Yes, she definitely didn't read, didn't understand, or didn't vet  the four categories to keep in mind when putting in a new category.  She definitely didn't know to get the category vetted through the forums.  I do think that the feedback given by the members is generally positive in nature, even though the proposed category itself is a redundant one.  I know that when I created my new proposal, I couldn't have created the quality category without the feedback from the rest of the Waymarking community at large.

This experience shows the importance of actually Waymarking first, in many, many categories before trying to create new proposed categories.  My hope is that the member in question will actually try to go out and waymark, both visits and creates  - especially in the categories that have been stated as the redundancies to her proposal.   Anyway, my two cents...  :) 

• Upvote 3

Yes, Tom, I agree. I'm feeling a bit sorry for them, too, as they put a bit more work into their proposal - see their Flat Family Page - than do many. I get the feeling that they fully expected their proposal to be accepted.

They are not alone, however, as we've had a spate of tyros trying to float new categories in recent times, with little success, if I recall correctly. The minute someone comes along with a solidly researched, well written and interesting category proposal I will be all for it. It's becoming obvious, though, that it requires a good deal of imagination and "out of the box" thinking to discover a new category that will be accepted by the majority of the community. I've had more than one fall on its face and have seen a couple that I thought might well fly go down in flames.

Not to give up, though, there must be at least one more really good category out there - I'm just not seeing it.

Keith

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure whether it was naive or cheeky, but the good thing is: The system worked fine.

5 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Not to give up, though, there must be at least one more really good category out there - I'm just not seeing it.

Keith

I know that there are many more good category ideas out there. One thing that came to my mind when reading your posting:

We have a category for the Beatles, Elvis, Jimmy Buffett, Abraham Lincoln, Benjamin Franklin, Carl Linneaeus, Martin Luther King, George Washington, John F. Kennedy, Ponce de León, Vasco da Gama, Buffalo Bill, William Shakespeare, James Bond, Tintin, Ronald McDonald, Ansel Adams, Frank Lloyd Wright, Zippy the Pinhead, ..... but I have found no category for a female person or character. The only thing I found is the Statue of Liberty and the Woman's Clubs category. Isn't that a shame?

• Upvote 2
20 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

..... but I have found no category for a female person or character. The only thing I found is the Statue of Liberty and the Woman's Clubs category. Isn't that a shame?

True, it is... ...and it's not hard to come up with a few good candidates:

Joan Of Arc, Pocahontas, Catherine The Great, Sacagawea, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Queen Victoria, Susan B. Anthony, Florence Nightingale, Annie Oakley, Marie Curie, Helen Keller, Eleanor Roosevelt, Amelia Earhart, Mother Teresa, Rosa Parks, Anne Frank, Jane Goodall, Gloria Steinem, to name a few.

Pick one and get on it. -_-

Thinking here - more to come...

Keith

4 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

True, it is... ...and it's not hard to come up with a few good candidates:

Joan Of Arc, Pocahontas, Catherine The Great, Sacagawea, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Queen Victoria, Susan B. Anthony, Florence Nightingale, Annie Oakley, Marie Curie, Helen Keller, Eleanor Roosevelt, Amelia Earhart, Mother Teresa, Rosa Parks, Anne Frank, Jane Goodall, Gloria Steinem, to name a few.

Pick one and get on it. -_-

Thinking here - more to come...

Keith

Some of them I know well, others I have never heard of. The first name I was thinking of was Marylin Monroe. :) On the list of the top 100 famous women she's #10, followed by Mother Teresa. I'm sure that both are known worldwide, but why not start with the #1, Princess Diana? I would feel a lot better though, if some female waymarkers would post their thoughts about that choice.

25 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

Some of them I know well, others I have never heard of. The first name I was thinking of was Marylin Monroe. :) On the list of the top 100 famous women she's #10, followed by Mother Teresa. I'm sure that both are known worldwide, but why not start with the #1, Princess Diana? I would feel a lot better though, if some female waymarkers would post their thoughts about that choice.

Rolling my eyes that the most famous woman in the world is Princess Diana, when we’re all here because of Eve (no disrespect to Lady Diana, but don’t get me started on princesses and how they get pushed on little girls in the USA). 

I think a category to waymark sites related to significant women worldwide would be a wonderful addition to the hobby.

One thing we've noticed is that there seem to be far fewer women's memorials than for men, probably because it had been up to the men to erect the memorials. :rolleyes: In any event, you'll notice that each existing memorial category is for an individual, which might lead to some sparse categories. So, what I envision is something like this:

Monuments

Women of History

Women of Literature

Women of Science

Women of Medicine

Women of Entertainment

Women of Politics

Something like that...

Keith

Interesting to see that Princess Diana and Queen Victoria are being suggested as possible category ideas (under the History - People (History) category). I once proposed a category for locations associated with Royals (kings, queens, etc etc). Although the consensus seemed to be that it would not pass peer review and so I didn't pursue it too far.

On 4/14/2018 at 3:12 PM, BK-Hunters said:

One thing we've noticed is that there seem to be far fewer women's memorials than for men, probably because it had been up to the men to erect the memorials. :rolleyes: In any event, you'll notice that each existing memorial category is for an individual, which might lead to some sparse categories. So, what I envision is something like this:

Monuments

Women of History

Women of Literature

Women of Science

Women of Medicine

Women of Entertainment

Women of Politics

Something like that...

Keith

and Women of Sports? (Unless you consider that part of Entertainment)