Going ape: hopefully

terratin

I've just booked a hotel in Capao Bonito for two nights as Junior informed me that I'm too late for the lodges inside the park. Can't help it. I only learned about the actual travel dates for my annual trip to Brazil last week.

Trying to make backup plans in case I only have two days instead of three:

• Are three hours realistic for driving from any of the airports in Sao Paulo to Capao Bonito, and which airport would be more suitable? Still undecided whether to take checked in luggage along.
  • How much time should I calculate for getting to the park from there? I know it's not a tarmac road.

And generally:

• Is a sedan sufficient or should I get a 4x4 for early May? Last year the weather was fine around that time, but I don't know if it usually is.
  • The highway seems to be a toll road, and I can't find any information in English. Can anyone help me? How much is the route approximately and can I pay cash (I get charged for every credit card use abroad)? Do I need the exact right amount? Does and don'ts at the toll stations?

Thanks a lot.

Welcome again.

The best airport would be Guarulhos (GRU).

3 hours from the airport to Capão will be very difficult... but it may depend the week day.

From Capão to the park, around 40 minutes, also depending the trail conditions, in case it's been raining.

You don't need a 4X4. Remember to ask for a plate numbered according to the week days.

You will pass around 10 tolls... and you need to pay in cash... preferably coins. The total is around R$70. Pay attention to the correct tolls box, some are only for card holders (not credit or debit cards from regular banks, but from the highway manager). Train you portuguese... ;)

4 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Welcome again.

The best airport would be Guarulhos (GRU).

3 hours from the airport to Capão will be very difficult... but it may depend the week day.

From Capão to the park, around 40 minutes, also depending the trail conditions, in case it's been raining.

You don't need a 4X4. Remember to ask for a plate numbered according to the week days.

You will pass around 10 tolls... and you need to pay in cash... preferably coins. The total is around R$70. Pay attention to the correct tolls box, some are only for card holders (not credit or debit cards from regular banks, but from the highway manager). Train you portuguese... ;)

Thanks a lot @RuideAlmeida

I heard about the license plates before but can't find much detail other than it being in force from Monday to Friday? At the moment I'm looking at renting a car from Saturday to Monday (though it's possible I need to return on Sunday night). Thus I should be fine and only need a potential Monday into account?

Traffic in Sao Paulo on Saturday morning and Sunday evening? If I have until Monday then I can take all the time I need to get back to the airport.

Thanks for the toll information. I'll make sure I have enough cash.

Looks like I could take an early morning flight from Rio de Janeiro Santos to GRU. If I have to return on Sunday then I have at least a bit of time in the park. Return on Monday would be perfect of course.

Ok, lets do this. Not much time inside the park but things won't be better for me next year. If anyone is interested in joining me: 6 May early morning from airport Viracopos International, back to the airport 7 May for an evening flight. Will rent a car. Accommodation in Capao Bonito as the lodges in the park are fully booked.

Short Feedback: All went very smooth: Picked up rental car at the airport in Campinas and drove to the park without problems. From Capao Bonito to the park is about 45-50 minutes in dry conditions. Might be very slippery though when it's wet due to the clay in the soil. From Campinas to Capao Bonito was about 2.20 hours comfortable driving. Pay stations are easily marked, and I had enough small change with me. Insect repellent inside the park might be a good idea, though both the mosquitoes and the masses of ticks ignored it. Maybe something else than deet? Good food available in the park, otherwise there's a good supermarket in Riberao Grande. Great trip overall :)

• Upvote 1