Hey Bend!!

Nurse Dave

quote:
I noticed there is a large percentage there that are not available. What's up?
Some people tend to disable caches when they should archive them. Also, there's a couple of hiders who create short-term caches by design.

There are about 20 active caches in the city limits and at least a hundred within 20 miles. Some of these are quite difficult and can take most of the day. Enough to keep you busy, I'd reckon. icon_wink.gif Have fun!

I've got a series of 3 caches (Cruise by the Creek) where I'll buy you a beer if you complete all 3 by foot or bike in a day.

Assuming you are coming from Portland you may want to grab some caches along the way so it's time for the shameless Madras area plug (97741). The area just north of Redmond including Smith Rock and the Nat'l Grasslands is also quite the caching mecca. As for disabled caches, no comment. We've been archiving our older caches as they turn up missing just to try to make things more maintainable. We have one disabled cache that I know of, Bread & Butter in Redmond, that is disabled until we can ascertain whether it is gone or not.

Hope your trip is enjoyable and you grab lots of caches. If you're true Oregonians you will attempt to find Navdog's Picnic at Hanging Rock or Moondog3's Legend of Skull Hollow. They are both deserving of all the accolades they've received, plus some. Have fun!

WARNING: I cannot be responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.

I've been meaning to archive my 'Silt Pond & Beyond' for some time now. Thanks for the reminder. icon_smile.gif It became the victim of progress (Pronghorn).

And thanks to those who chased that cache. It had a uniqueness of it's own.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"

-George Harrison

Hey Nurse Dave and LKay,

If you're going to Bend via Hwy 26, we liked these:

Hotshot Hill

Pay it Again, Sam

Little Zig

If there is not too much snow in the area, these two were awesome:

Crater Lake Jr.

Timothy Lake Bike Cache

And here are a couple easy virtuals in Madras very near the Hwy 26:

Jackie

Kelly's Virtual Driveby

So far, in Central Oregon (we've only been there twice so far since we started caching), we've stuck to the general Redmond area. Here are some that we rather liked, which are fairly close to the Highway or are near to Bend:

The Corral

Ogden

Mustang

Old

Tuuli Puspus Pa

We know that there have been plenty more awesome caches placed since we've been out that way, and I'm sure we forgot some, but this should give you guys some more to go on. Have fun!

--laurak and doug

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

[This message was edited by dasein on April 29, 2003 at 11:38 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly's Heroes:

As a fellow wearer of shorts for all cache hunts I'd suggest you bring some tic repellent and maybe some neosporin... That sage can be awfully rough on the legs, especially when it's thick and dead. And the manzanita kinda sucks sometimes too. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

quote:
Originally posted by oregonature:

Some of these caches in the outer areas may be unavailable do to snow closing roads etc. I have one disabled and I could not get to another today because my truck wouldn't make it!

Yeah, we'll be skiing until at least mid-May. It's that time of year when you can't decide whether to hike, bike, paddle, ski, garden, geocache or some combination. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly's Heroes:

That sage can be awfully rough on the legs, especially when it's thick and dead. And the manzanita kinda sucks sometimes too. icon_biggrin.gif

The lava rock where many caches are hidden leaves nice souvenirs as well. But if you go out in the morning, your bare legs will be so numb in the 30 degree temperatures that you won't notice the pain until mid-afternoon. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Jack & 1st Mate:

Dave, be sure to keep an eye out for those pesky little buzzy worms (rattlesnakes). We were caching near Madras last weekend and yes, they are about. Living on the east side, we are usead to their presence and we always carry a snake bite kit (Sawyer extractor) just in case.

That's it. We're just staying in our hotel room! icon_eek.gif

Well if your coming over this way and are spending the night, you might try Where's Red.

I hope all the Cats have followed the deer out of the area. You just might have to keep a watch over your shoulder while wandering around.

Also, I do not think there are a lot of buzz tails in the area.

And it still should be cool enough to keep the scorpion's and Black Widows calmed down so they do not bite/sting to bad.

And I think the Bats in all the caves should be fine right now also.

I have not heard about too many Bear's in that area lately.

All the songdogs should be fat on housecats and fluffies food so they should not be a problem either.

Wow, it sounds good enough I might go hunt it myself !! As long as Red is packing enough food, water and extra lights.

enjoy.

Just got back from our Bend trip. 365 miles and somewhere around 15 caches. I need to round up the pages and will log them in over the next day or so. A big THANKS for the folks that hid all the caches we found, and even the 2 we didn't. I'm still not sure how I feel about a hint that says it's under a rock when the whole city is covered in rocks. icon_razz.gif

We had great weather, met another cacher and were treated to great views.

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

Just got back from our Bend trip. 365 miles and somewhere around 15 caches.

That's all the mileage you racked up? Over our Sisters/Green Ridge Lookout weekend 5/3-5/6, we racked up over 700 miles! But then again, caches north of Sisters are fewer and far between. Plus, we did some major tooling around on 4WD backroads for fun! Looks like you got more caches to the gallon. We got 10 last weekend, then went back this weekend too (to celebrate our 12th anniversary today), and got 5 more. We're looking forward to visiting the Bend area sometime this summer.

--laurak

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

Just got back from our Bend trip. 365 miles and somewhere around 15 caches.

Good job! You did them all in shorts?

In general, how might the caches you did be improved?

OKay, you got me. I was a little worried about strange animals and wore sweats. icon_frown.gif I know it wasn't much protection, but it was a mental barier between me and a 20 foot snake.

The only thing I wasn't really enjoying were the ones that were under rocks where there were rocks everywhere. But it's just a different style of caching I guess. In Portland the standard is bark arranged around the ammo box so those tend to be easy to spot. It's more about finding the area it's in. In the case of the rock ones, it was more about actually finding the cache once you got there.

I think being used to the other kind I got frustrated too soon. I was thinking that if my reading is off by 30 feet and the hider was off by 30 feet, then that's a 60 foot radius of just flipping over rocks. I might not have thought anything of it if that's what I was used to, but it was frustrating for me.

Otherwise a good percentage of them were in different type of places with good views. Very enjoyable.

Rocks are truly glorious, although they can be an acquired taste. At times we have taken umbrage at the way people often times might lead you to a pile of rocks and say "under a rock" or "in the usual place". But more often than not rocks make the most clever hiding place if the hint is well thought out. Easier said than done. icon_razz.gif

And for the record... In a reluctant post script. I am truly let down that you succumbed to the restriction of sweats for the fear of reptiles. The last time a rattler stood in my way without any way around I did the unthinkable... I dropped a bigazz rock on him. Pants or no pants if I would've been dumb enough not to hear him rattling at my dog from 50' away I would've deserved to get the crap bitten out of me.

And I've gotten poison oak THREE galdang times in the last couple of months and yet still I feel loathe to muck about in jeans, gortex, and particularly sweats. Call me crazy but to a certain point, I feel I must defy nature's bastardly threats. Briars of course deem this whole theory obsolete.

Nuff said. Real Dumbasses cache in shorts icon_biggrin.gif