Photo Uploads?

jhuoni

When posting images to a cache page, there's the option to rotate the image.  My computer is sometimes confused and shows an image upright when being viewed in my photo folder, but I now have a cemetery marker "lying on its side" when uploaded.  I can't find a tool on Waymarking.com to correct the image.  Help?

53 minutes ago, waxwing454 said:

When posting images to a cache page, there's the option to rotate the image.  My computer is sometimes confused and shows an image upright when being viewed in my photo folder, but I now have a cemetery marker "lying on its side" when uploaded.  I can't find a tool on Waymarking.com to correct the image.  Help?

I don't think that there is a Waymarking tool to fix that.  However, if you make any kind of edit to your photo BEFORE you post the image to Waymarking, the problem should disappear.  I edit every single photo before it goes to Waymarking.  The easiest, quickest edit should do the job.

As far as I know, there is no utility on the Waymarking site to rotate photos, as there is on the geocaching site. Nor is there a way to edit photo captions once it is uploaded. The only way to make changes is to archive the image and upload it again.

The issue with photo rotation - I've had that same issue before - although for majority of images I have non problems with how they appear, landscape or portait. Instead of a lame attempt to explain something I don't fully grasp, I will just direct you to read up for yourself: https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/

The article provides a few suggestions for fixing it. I think I just saved a copy of the image that I already downloaded, rotated and saved that, then uploaded the altered image

Or maybe open the image in MS Paint, rotate, and save a copy. I think the rotate function in Paint may behave differently that the (much easier) rotate in the folder view. hope that makes sense the way I explained it.

Please let us know what ends up working for you.

I use Faststone for most photo editing and it doesn't handle the rotation issue properly, so I generally just remove the EXIF info on pix in portrait orientation. That's where the problem lies and I don't think Faststone changes the EXIF info when it rotates a pic. I haven't actually checked lately and have updated Faststone at least once since I began removing the EXIF. Maybe it handles it correctly now. In any event, removing the EXIF info does the trick.

Keith

Right now I can't upload photos, neither for new waymarks nor for visits. Tried with different waymarks, different photos etc. After the upload seems to be finished I get:

Upload Complete

There is no image with that ID
HyperLink

[view link] [view link] [view link] [view link]

15 minutes later and uploading works again.

Edited by PISA-caching

Oh Oh! Pic uploads just went south here. I'll post again if they start working in the near future.

Keith

EDIT: Two hours plus later, still busted. Tried another WM in case the problem might be tied to a specific WM. No Go!!

Edited by BK-Hunters