Proposal: FTF caches

Vincent.m

For reference:

Must be accessible

• Long term
    • Hide your cache to have a long life.
    • Temporary caches intended to stay active for fewer than three months will not be published.
    • Caches intended to move will not be published.
  • Availability
    • Caches must be available most of the week.
  • No contact required
    • Caches cannot require geocachers to contact the cache owner or anyone else.

29 minutes ago, Vincent.m said:

An FTF cache is a type of geocache that I thought of. After this cache is published the first cacher to find it takes it and hides it in a different location. I hope someone considers this idea.

Moving caches have been dropped (no longer allowed) since mid '17 (May, IIRK). 

When the "Intro" app first came out years ago, we had caches "moved" just as you mention, those folks not bothering to read "how to play".   :)

The site stopped publishing new moving caches in 2003.  The action that Cerberus1 referred to was the archiving of the remaining moving caches that were grandfathered.  They caused too many problems and I don't see them ever coming back.

To the OP, I recommend trying this as a "side game" on your local geocaching group's facebook page or other social media outlet, as is done in several other areas.  No official smiley points, but the same amount of fun otherwise.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Keystone said:

To the OP, I recommend trying this as a "side game" on your local geocaching group's facebook page or other social media outlet, as is done in several other areas.  No official smiley points, but the same amount of fun otherwise.

Apologies to Keystone, but I don't recommend trying this, unless you can be sure that all finders will understand the difference between caches that are supposed to stay where they are and cache that are supposed to be moved.  

You could join one of those rock hiding groups on FB.  This is a very popular activity right now and is kinda what you are describing.  You paint a rock and hide it and the person who finds it either keeps it or re-hides it.  There is no smiley count involved though.  It is just for fun.  I believe this activity is probably at its peak right now so there are some really neat rocks out there to find.  You could hide a cache and put a painted rock next to it for the FTFer to take and re-hide.

Edited by Twinklekitkat
typo correection
  • Upvote 1