Garmin Epress

kidcobalt

I get the same message but I can't even get it to recognize my Garmin extex 10 and I can't load any caches. It doesn't allow me to "write to device" as it doesn't recognize the device. The computer says that it recognizes the device but not in the geocache site. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, icezebra11 said:

One reason is to transfer caches on a list using "Send to Garmin."  Another is to get Garmin software updates.

I'll just be quiet from here on out and let yall bang your heads against whatever wall is available.

The reason I asked that question was to get StefandD to respond. Apparently they didn't look at the link I posted because the guys who wrote is say (quote), "One of the issues with the Monterra is you cannot mount it as a removable drive." (unquote).

If you can mount it as a removable drive, then you don't Garmin Express to update the caches. (It takes less time to replace a PQ on an Etrex 10 than to open Garmin Express.)

4 hours ago, garyo1954 said:

If you can mount it as a removable drive, then you don't Garmin Express to update the caches. (It takes less time to replace a PQ on an Etrex 10 than to open Garmin Express.)

Just to provide some context here.  Garmin Express allows cachers to send a bookmark list directly to Garmin GPSr's without having to go through the extra step of creating a PQ and running/downloading that PQ.  This feature was added last year and plenty of cachers have found it useful to quickly create a list and then send it directly to their devices without going through the PQ route.  See  THIS RELEASE NOTES  thread for more background.

4 hours ago, garyo1954 said:

The reason I asked that question was to get StefandD to respond. Apparently they didn't look at the link I posted because the guys who wrote is say (quote), "One of the issues with the Monterra is you cannot mount it as a removable drive." (unquote).

The article starts with a false presumption. The Monterra is recognised as a removable drive. Only it uses the MTP protocol (especially designed for removable media)  like photo cameras and other Android devices do. That means you get no drive letters like other Garmins. That may be problematic to some older software, but Garmin Express (and also other software like BaseCamp and GSAK) is able to detect the Monterra like any other Garmin device.

That means you can send caches in lists and update software with Garmin Express, read caches, waypoints, tracks and maps with BaseCamp and send/receive caches and drafts with GSAK. Even the obsolete Garmin Communicator was able to send caches to the Monterra before NPAPI plug-ins were banned by all browsers.

There is absolutely no need to use the Wi-Fi transfer software. It's an old workaround for older software like MapSource. But I can get gpx files more easy into MS by double clicking on the GPX file.