Local multicaches

I am new to geocaching and have just solved my first multi cache..the whole thing from start to cache was only a kilometre . I have just begun to realise that multis can start near me..but can end up many many kilometres away...even overseas for the experienced explorer!! While I’m starting off, I’d like to just be able to do ones where the destination is only a small distance away from the start point...or at least only a few kilometres away. Is there a way I can tell? 

Thanks in advance guys 

Not unless the CO mentions it in their description or as an attribute (there are 3 that pertain to distance I believe).  If the other waypoints are visible, you might be able to tell as well, but most multi owners will hide the stages.  Occasionally there will be a multi structured with all the waypoints provided, but I see that more in Europe than over here in the US.

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, shack1961 said:

... I’d like to just be able to do ones where the destination is only a small distance away from the start point...or at least only a few kilometres away. Is there a way I can tell? 

I would suggest that you interact with your local community, attending Events, looking for online groups, asking from other geocachers, which multis are shorter... by instance.

Mysteries are easier... from the distance perspective. ;)

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Upvote 2

In my area, most of the time the cache owner will mention in the Description if the Stages and/or Final location require a great deal of travel.  Otherwise,  I assume that the various steps in the Multi are within walking distance.

The Find logs (and occasionally the disappointed DNF's) will also give some clue as to the  Multi's that require driving or longer distances to complete.

• Upvote 2

Multis in my area are similar to others here, the CO states somewhere in the description what you might be in for.  This area (like Touchstone's),  most assume it's entirety is within whatever tract of land you start.  Found it logs have good info.  We've done many in miles, all on trail.    :) 

• Upvote 2

In my experience, it's pretty rare for multis to be spread out over great distances.  For the most part, they tend to be walkable or only require short drives.  

I know mysteries have to be within two miles of the posted coordinates, but multis do not have such a limitation.  I wouldn't be against there being some sort of requirement to at least mention that total travel distance will be more than a couple of miles.  

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

The Find logs (and occasionally the disappointed DNF's) will also give some clue as to the  Multi's that require driving or longer distances to complete.

Notes (versus Found/DNF logs) may also indicate distance or difficulty.  If the cacher has started the multi but not finished it, it likely has difficult components or distance components that make it difficult to complete in a single day.  Locally we have a five stage multi that covers 175 miles.  Cachers will typically post a note for each stage, but rarely will complete more than one stage in a single outing.

• Upvote 2

I've only run into one or maybe two multis where the final was a significant distance away, so generally you don't need to worry about it. Worst case, you start a multi and find out the final is on the other side of the globe. Is that really a big deal? I fail to find caches for all kinds of reasons, so it doesn't bother me that once in a blue moon, the reason is that I'll never be at the coordinates where the final cache was hidden. What makes multis different is the process, so I don't worry much about those cases where I won't be able to sign the log and claim the find.

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much everyone for the info...it seems, from all your advice that I just need to check others’ activity messages or CO notes. The reason I asked is that there seem to be several around me with a large distance involved and I was wondering g if this was the norm rather than rarity. Glad to hear it’s not so usual.

i agree with J Grouchy that I wouldn’t be against the rule being some sort of requirement to note if large distance covering is required...but I’ll just try and do some research. I love the idea of the multi and the coordinates used.

thanks again. Great forum and received lots of helpful feedback. I’m loving the friendly geocaching community.