Corrected coordinates vs Waypoints

julie609

Any way you thinks it's the easiest. B)

I use GSAK with databases that hold all caches I need and use corrected coordinates for solved mysteries and extra WPs for multi's, that way I know that the cache coordinate is the point I have to go to start a cache to find info or find the container.

When I use the corrected coordinate feature on the cache page and then load the cache into the GPSr I have no way to know if the coordinates are posted or solved.  My solution has been to load the cache into GSAK which will retain the new and original and then to load the cache into my GPSr with a flag showing that the coordinate have been changed.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, badlands said:

When I use the corrected coordinate feature on the cache page and then load the cache into the GPSr I have no way to know if the coordinates are posted or solved.  My solution has been to load the cache into GSAK which will retain the new and original and then to load the cache into my GPSr with a flag showing that the coordinate have been changed.

My solution is to never load mystery/puzzle caches into my device except through the "solved unfound puzzles" bookmark list. If I see a mystery/puzzle cache on my device, then I know it's ready for me to visit the coordinates.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, niraD said:

My solution is to never load mystery/puzzle caches into my device

Same here but I use "user flag" in GSAK once a Mystery is solved. Only thing left to do is to set the user flag for mysteries that are only solvable in the field (bonus caches). We never load all caches in an area anyway but just the ones we want to go after.

Mysteries we want to do get user data set to "to solve", when solved user data is set to "todo" and user flag is set. Preparing to go out is as easy as filtering on user flag and/or userdata "todo". The ones we don't want to go after have user data set to "not" and get filtered out too.

15 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Same here but I use "user flag" in GSAK once a Mystery is solved.

My solution as well, however I use a custom field.  The "user flag" field is too useful for short term filters to dedicate to a single use.

In addition, I use the GSAK "tags" to prefix the cache name.  In the event that I do need to load non-solved puzzles (caching with a group for example), I can still identify which one's have corrected coordinates.

1 minute ago, badlands said:

My solution as well, however I use a custom field.  The "user flag" field is too useful for short term filters to dedicate to a single use.

In addition, I use the GSAK "tags" to prefix the cache name.  In the event that I do need to load non-solved puzzles (caching with a group for example), I can still identify which one's have corrected coordinates.

If you use the Garminexport macro the icon on the map will have an exclamation mark next to it if the cache has corrected coordinates. I have set the amount of favorites set to prefix the cache name ( like 15_geocache....).

14 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

For you all that don't load mysteries unless solved, aren't some mysteries field puzzles where there's nothing to solve until you go to the initial coords? Or do you move those field puzzles into your solved?

Not an approach I take but just wondering. 

I move them to "solved" but flag them as "do in the field" so I know what to expect just by looking at the modified cache name.

9 hours ago, julie609 said:

When solving a puzzle cache, I usually enter in the new coordinates as a waypoint, but should I do it as corrected coordinates? What's the difference? Thanks 

If you enter corrected coordinates on the cache page, the cache icon is shown at the new position.  Also, the corrected coordinates appear in a Pocket Query, although it may not be easy to tell which coordinates are "corrected coordinates" as mentioned in this thread.  Apps treat such things in various ways, so it can get confusing.

As for what you should do, that depends on the individual puzzle cache.  For example, you may need the original coordinates as well as the corrected ones.  It also depends on when you solve the corrected coordinates.  In the field, you'd typically make a new waypoint (or waypoints, for some puzzles).  For a puzzle you solve in advance and will hunt later at the corrected coordinates, editing the cache page may be fine.  But double-check the App or GPS before you leave.

I have an official-looking Indiana-Jones-Style notebook where I write the coords and notes, so no matter how the site or Apps or GPS treat "corrected coordinates", I have exactly the right info. :cute:

1 hour ago, Team DEMP said:

For you all that don't load mysteries unless solved, aren't some mysteries field puzzles where there's nothing to solve until you go to the initial coords? Or do you move those field puzzles into your solved?

I just set the user flag, since we prepare our outings in advance we know when the mystery is to be solved in the field (like bonus of a series or mystery with more than 1 WP). In GSAK I have solved mysteries in green, first WP solved but further WP's in yellow, "old" (placed month not yet found) in orange and so on.

I can still remember what to do for each cache when we go out as I select them and load my GPS just the evening before ;)

Looks like this:

cachelist_GSAK.jpg

2 hours ago, badlands said:
3 hours ago, Team DEMP said:

Not an approach I take but just wondering. 

I move them to "solved" but flag them as "do in the field" so I know what to expect just by looking at the modified cache name.

Yeah, "solved" doesn't necessarily mean solved. It really just means that I can go to the edited coordinates. For typical "solve to get the coordinates" style puzzles, that means solved, and it means that I expect to find the puzzle cache at the edited coordinates. For challenge caches, it just means that I've completed the challenge and can now find it and log the find. For multi-stage field puzzles, it means that I've got the coordinates of the first stage and am ready to try my hand at the field puzzles. And so on.