Selecting a cache from an Etrex 30 map

Hi Guys

I have just bought a Garmin Etrex 30x and managed to load caches on to the device.   However, I was hoping to see all the caches on the map and select one from there rather than use the list.  

However, the caches are not appearing.   Is there anything I need to change in the settings to be able to see them?

1. Make sure you're using the geocaching profile. This has some pre-set settings that are advantageous for geocaching. You can always customize from there.

2. You want to go to Setup > Map > Advanced Settings > Zoom Levels. There may be an option for geocaches. Set this high (5 miles or 10 miles). This represents the maximum zoom level on the map that geocaches will be shown. Don't go too high or the geocache icons will clutter the map.

3. you can set different zoom levels for different activity profiles.

I don't know if there is a setting such as Mineral2 mentioned in #2 above. I don't see such a setting option on my eTrex 20, using the Geocaching profile.

Simply put, geocache icons will not appear on the map if you are zoomed out too much. On my device, the caches appear on the map only if I'm zoomed in to where the scale at the bottom left is 3 mi or less.  If I'm zoomed out to 5 mi or more, than the icons don't show up. Not sure if the 30x works the same as the 20.

3 hours ago, noncentric said:

Simply put, geocache icons will not appear on the map if you are zoomed out too much. On my device, the caches appear on the map only if I'm zoomed in to where the scale at the bottom left is 3 mi or less.  If I'm zoomed out to 5 mi or more, than the icons don't show up. Not sure if the 30x works the same as the 20.

I use Garmin POI Loader with GSAK for my Garmin 30x.  The icons show up for out to 30 mile scale.  (Very cluttered!)

14 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

I use Garmin POI Loader with GSAK for my Garmin 30x.  The icons show up for out to 30 mile scale.  (Very cluttered!)

Why?  You lose all of the Geocaching features.  You can adjust that in the map settings as well.

As to the Geocaching views.  It is under "zoom levels" and "user waypoints".

• Upvote 1
On 4/7/2018 at 2:44 PM, Red90 said:

As to the Geocaching views.  It is under "zoom levels" and "user waypoints".

Thanks for that. On my eTrex 20 the full path was:  Setup -> Map -> Advanced Map Setup -> Zoom Levels -> User Waypoints  --- I've never adjusted this before and it was already set to "Auto", so I changed it to "5 mi" and now I see the cache icons when zoomed out to 5 miles, whereas before I had to be zoomed in to at least 3 miles to see icons.