Must a cache have a logbook?

Im planning on making a series of more elaborate (in physical design) caches with physical puzzles in to give a location of a final possibly cryptex style cache. 

Instead of having a signable paper log, could i engrave a trackable code that is set to discoverable only so could act as a digital logbook as such, whilst at the same time proving you have been there and have solved the cryptex? 

Short answer : No.

A Cache needs to have a logbook per the guidelines. Exceptions are Virtuals and Earthcaches.

So if you do have a virtual reward handy by accident, you could use that.

A solution would be to engrave coordinates and then but a container with a logbook at the coordinates and call the whole thing a multi.

8 minutes ago, Gamma Ray said:

Im planning on making a series of more elaborate (in physical design) caches with physical puzzles in to give a location of a final possibly cryptex style cache. 

Instead of having a signable paper log, could i engrave a trackable code that is set to discoverable only so could act as a digital logbook as such, whilst at the same time proving you have been there and have solved the cryptex? 

If you're OK with it being a Trackable Item only (not listed as a Geocache), that's fine.

But if it's a "cryptex", a hollow tube with a kind of combination to open it, inside could be a cache log.   As pingurus mentioned, it could work if all the puzzles are stages and the log is at the final.

To expand on pingurus' post, the logbook guidelines specify:

Must include logbook

For all physical caches, there must be a logbook for geocachers to record their visit. The logbook must be

• Physical
  • Replaceable
  • Easy to sign
  • Enclosed within a container

Examples: Notebook, paper scroll.

As pingurus indicated, there are exceptions for non-physical caches (Virtuals and EarthCaches). But anything else needs a physical log.

More specifically, the Guidelines say:

For all physical caches, there must be a logbook for geocachers to record their visit. The logbook must be

• Physical
  • Replaceable
  • Easy to sign

Multis and puzzles provide heaps of flexibility with waypoints, which can be pretty much anything, so long as the final is a container with a physical logbook inside it.

Must include logbook

• Physical
  • Replaceable
  • Easy to sign

However, the log book does not need to be paper. I've signed a Pinewood derby car that was the log (at first I was too scared to put my name on it, but we figured that HAD to be the cache log!).

17 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Must include logbook

• Physical
  • Replaceable
  • Easy to sign

However, the log book does not need to be paper. I've signed a Pinewood derby car that was the log (at first I was too scared to put my name on it, but we figured that HAD to be the cache log!).

We signed the inside of an ammo can once (per CO request) - of course, it was a very large, walk in size ammo can...  The walls were the "log book".

17 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Must include logbook

• Physical
  • Replaceable
  • Easy to sign

I have signed a bus shelter.. with a UV pen which was hidden in the bus shelter for that purpose.

I drove past a few weeks later and the log book had been shattered into thousands of pieces..

1 hour ago, hukilaulau said:

I don't think any of these examples would be allowed now. Years ago I found several caches where you signed some physical part of the cache, but the rules changed a few years ago. The key words are "replaceable" and "enclosed within a container."

The pinewood derby car is replaceable ($3 each last time I bought one), and it was inside an Ammo can.

37 minutes ago, badlands said:

So a magnetic strip does not meet the guidelines but two magnetic strips do?

Basically, yes. Although usually I see a magnetic strip and a separate replaceable log sheet of some sort. But a magnetic strip where you sign the back of the magnetic strip itself is no longer allowed.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

The pinewood derby car is replaceable ($3 each last time I bought one), and it was inside an Ammo can.

That wooden car is going to last a lot longer than paper. I'd much prefer that.
With everyone carrying a cell it makes little sense to require paper logs when its easy enough to snap a picture of the cache for upload.
As long as they fit, I'll keep putting wooden tokens in them....

woodentokens.jpg

2 hours ago, garyo1954 said:

That wooden car is going to last a lot longer than paper. I'd much prefer that.
With everyone carrying a cell it makes little sense to require paper logs when its easy enough to snap a picture of the cache for upload.
As long as they fit, I'll keep putting wooden tokens in them....

woodentokens.jpg

Nice coins!

The idea of photologging has been discussed ad nauseum. The rules of the game are, Find a cache, SIGN THE LOG, and log it online. No camera required.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, K13 said:

Nice coins!

The idea of photologging has been discussed ad nauseum. The rules of the game are, Find a cache, SIGN THE LOG, and log it online. No camera required.

Thanks K13! So far I've spent $47 for tacos and haven't got a single phone number! That one is not working for me.....:rolleyes:

Its a credit to the player that they do follow the sign log as best they can. Saw one today where someone didn't have anything to write with so they took a stick and impress/indented their signature in the paper. If you shaded over it would see their signature. I was impressed with that idea!

7 minutes ago, garyo1954 said:

Thanks K13! So far I've spent $47 for tacos and haven't got a single phone number! That one is not working for me.....:rolleyes:

Its a credit to the player that they do follow the sign log as best they can. Saw one today where someone didn't have anything to write with so they took a stick and impress/indented their signature in the paper. If you shaded over it would see their signature. I was impressed with that idea!

I've used the "stick as pen and grass as ink" to sign a log when caught without a pen. I've also used blood from the scratches due to thorns and briars which apparently stole my pen on the way to a cache.  I find a way to leave my mark on the log.

Just now, K13 said:

I've used the "stick as pen and grass as ink" to sign a log when caught without a pen. I've also used blood from the scratches due to thorns and briars which apparently stole my pen on the way to a cache.  I find a way to leave my mark on the log.

I hear that. Whatever works. First thing I put in my bag was an assortment of pens, pencils and sharpies. I've seen some labels and a couple of stamps as well. I even thought about doing a stamp for Letterboxing.......

• Upvote 1
On 4/6/2018 at 8:04 PM, Gamma Ray said:

Instead of In addition to having a signable paper log, could i engrave a trackable code that is set to discoverable only so could act as a digital logbook as such, whilst at the same time proving you have been there and have solved the cryptex?

Made an adjustment for it to be acceptible.

If you really want to do that, you can, you just can't require geocachers to make use of it.

• Upvote 3

Personally, I like the "analog" aspect of this hobby. There are plenty of options for folks that want to play a "digital" game.

On 4/8/2018 at 2:54 PM, garyo1954 said:

Actually, not everyone carries a cell when finding a cache. With park-and-grabs, I don't bother taking my phone. It just stays in the car.  And there have been plenty of times that my phone's battery has dropped below 5% while out caching, and at that point the Camera won't function.  This hobby would not be enjoyable if I had to be concerned about my phone's battery level in case the cache didn't have a paper log and required a photo instead.

On 4/8/2018 at 7:26 PM, garyo1954 said:

There have been some relatively recent threads about alternative signing methods:  If you dont have a pen  and  Signing in blood?

• Upvote 2