Thieves, Hurricane, Fire, Landslide - what do they have in common?

Maps-R-Us

Okay, as long-time geocachers we know that caches don’t last forever. Losing caches is just part of the game - they come and go and that is as it should be. But we are beginning to think we have bad cache karma. At least we are willing to bet we have lost our caches to a wider range of phenomena than most.

The first one to disappear was the Carto Cache that was placed near the Willamette Stone in the West Hills of Portland. It was plundered outright and, amazingly enough, reported to us by a guy from Tennessee who made a special trip just to find this cache while in Portland. Darn! Lost a lot of maps, too!

Next we lost the Buena Vista #2 cache we placed near Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. It seems the biggest hurricane to hit Mexico in decades,Hurricane Kenna, struck dead-on and washed our cache to sea. Okay, not too many visitors anyway so we can live with that, too.

But then some weirdo decides to set a couple fires near the Portland Zoo late last fall. Remember the news of Portland firefighters riding the Zoo Train to protect houses? It seems they trampled right over the remains of the Wild Arboretum cache, which was reduced to a glob of molten plastic and some unrecognizable metal parts. icon_frown.gif That one hurt since it was by far our favorite cache and had over 100 finds in its first year of existence.

Well today we got an e-mail from a fellow cacher regarding the Lookout View cache:

quote:
Night Hawk has added a log to your cache (Lookout View):

I found this cache once before, and today I took my girlfriend to it (her first day of caching)

The Cache is GONE!! Along with about 100 yards of the mountainside.

The area the cache was at has fallen into the ocean, my GPS was pointing out over what is now the edge of a cliff. I couldn't find any of the landmarks I used to find it the first time so between that and my GPS readings I have to say that the cache was lost when the mountainside slid off.

So our caches have now fallen victim to thieves, a hurricane, a fire and now a landslide. What will happen next? Well, we suppose it is time to get out there and place some new ones. Any ideas of where we could place one that would be safe from all these types of events? Anyone have a spare ammo can?

icon_confused.gif

I have always been convinced that too many trailers in a trailer park are the source of most tornadoes. This leads to the possible conclusion that your caches may have in fact caused the landslide, hurricane, fire and delinquency of our area citizens.

Whatever you do, please DO NOT place any caches in or around the Cedar Hills neighborhood. Just a few weeks ago we had some flooding -- where exactly did you place your most recent cache?

All kidding aside, I look forward to your next cache and will try to get to it before it causes too much harm.

Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 12:59 AM

To: Maps-R-Us

Subject: Your Geocaches

Please contact my staff at your earliest convenience. I would like to discuss the possibilities of placing your caches in the Baghdad area.

Sincerely,

Colin Powell

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

Can you believe it? This was in yesterday's e-mail:

quote:
User ***** has contacted you with the following message:

Hello took some friends geocaching today (newbies) to Batteries Plus - Oregon History Lesson #9. I have been there many times with my kids and some newbies and, well to cut it all short, when we got to the cache site it was flooded and we went down to where the cache was hidden and it wasn't in there but it was floating around not to far away so I fished it out and brought it back with me so it wont be plunderd. If you like I would be more then happy to place it back when the water receeds or you can come get it at the koa down the road. please let me know what you would like down thanks

Well at least it was saved! Great guy that found it icon_smile.gif and it will be back. Maybe our luck has changed?

Maps-R-Us wrote:

quote:
Any ideas of where we could place one that would be safe from all these types of events?

I had an idea to place a cache in a Wells Cargo safety deposit box, but after reading this thread I'll just turn that one straight over to you Maps icon_wink.gif.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited to fit your TV screen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm slightly fearful that something may happen to me now. Since you were the first to grab the clone cache out of Attack of the clones - there is this fear that your bad karma will work it's way to me.

Not that I really believe in karma or anything, but in a caching sense I'm thinking it sucks to be you right now. icon_razz.gif

Well, I was reading this thread yesterday, thinking how lucky I have been that most of the caches I've placed have made it, or soon will make it to the two year mark, without being plundered, washed away, or burnt up. I then went out to do cache maintainance and found that one of my oldest caches "The Old Carty Place" had been stolen icon_eek.gif. Joseph and I hunted all over for it, with no luck. Met Lord_Greggon at the gate headed in to hunt it, and had to tell him it wasn't there....bummer.

Bob G. (1pilot)

Where are we going?......And WHY am I in this handbasket???

[This message was edited by 1pilot on February 18, 2003 at 03:41 PM.]

DenaliNW said:

quote:
I'm slightly fearful that something may happen to me now. Since you were the first to grab the clone cache out of Attack of the clones - there is this fear that your bad karma will work it's way to me.

Well we already had our bad karma with our first placement of the Clone cache so I think you are okay! Remember the security guards down by the river? And the better half of this team had an appendicitis 'Attack' the same day the guards found you!