Play Anywhere Cartridge Noob

Clan Riffster

Hey gang, I'm hoping you guys can help me with a problem.

I am looking at creating geo-art using Wherigo caches, and my Reviewer told me that, in order to do this, the cartridges will need to be the "Play Anywhere" variety.  My plan is for the cartridges to be simple, single trivia question types. (Answer a trivia question, and get the coords for the final. Lather, rinse, repeat) My problem is, I've never built a "Play Anywhere" cartridge. Heck, I've never even played one. I made a couple cartridges using the Wherigo/Kit builder, loaded them to the Wherigo page, selecting the "Play Anywhere" box, loaded them to my phone, and they don't seem to be acting like "Play Anywhere". The player is showing zone 1 as 59 miles away, so it's not triggering the question.

I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know if my failure is in the build, in the upload, or in my phone operation.

Any ideas?

-Sean

Edit to add: Here is a link to one of them.

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=589d95dc-b7de-481c-9ddd-fde6f51f094c

I'll have to look at this on Sunday.  I'm doing a small trip for the first time this year.

Once you get a good template going, that's all you'll need.  I can help you get set up (assuming no one else does it before Sunday; others can feel free to help before I can get back from the trip).

I'm surprised the reviewer said they had to be the Play Anywhere type.  As long as the cartridge starts at the posted coordinates and ends within a suitable distance, you should be able to do anything between.  You could even set up a Kit cartridge that starts where your geoart coordinates are, asks a few questions, then the final zone comes up.  This would make it a two zone cartridge.  That should pass review.  Now, if the cacher can't even get to the posted coordinates, it would have to be a play anywhere type.  Even if this solves your immediate issue, I'll still work with you to get set up with creating a play anywhere type.  (I guess that's something I need to add to Kit, though it would break the builder compatibility I've tried to retain.)

For other play anywhere cartridges, I've seen hangman, some trivia ones, state capitals, etc.

8 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

Now, if the cacher can't even get to the posted coordinates, it would have to be a play anywhere type.

That's the key factor. The geo-art is in an area where getting to the posted coords would be all but impossible.

I was thinking that simply checking the "Play Anywhere" box would allow folks to play the cartridge without going to the posted coords. But apparently, it's not that simple.

My Wherigo experience is limited to the more traditional type builds, so I'm left scratching my head on this one.

BFlentje mentions a Reverse Wherigo, but I don't even know what that means. (Sorry Bart. I truly am clueless)

Tungstene mentions a zoneless option, but again, because of my cluelessness, I don't know how that works.

Any clarification folks could offer would be most appreciated.

-Sean

I'm back after my trip.  Thank you for your patience.

You can check out the Reverse Wherigo cartridge, which you can use to create as many reverse Wherigo listings as you want.  So, what is it?  When you play this cartridge, it will tell you how far away you are from the geocache.  It won't tell you the direction, though.  You then go to another location and ask it again how far away you are.  You keep doing that, hopefully getting closer, until it says you are close to the cache.  If you bring up a geocache listing for this, you'll notice it says to feed the cartridge three lines of text.  This is used to set up the cartridge for that specific location as the same cartridge is used for all reverse geocaches.  You can create and play reverse Wherigo caches using the same cartridge.  By the way, the easy way to solve this is to move to three locations some distance away and then use triangulation to come up with the final coordinates.  The brute force approach is just to keep asking the cartridge how far away you are until it says you're there.

Here's what you'd do to create a reverse Wherigo cartridge: download the cartridge to your phone, go to where you want to hide the cache, start the reverse Wherigo cartridge, select that you want to place a cache, and write down the three lines of text it provides you.  You then create a cache page like this one.  You don't have to create a Wherigo cartridge; just link to the reverse Wherigo cartridge page.  (There are some other ways you can use that cartridge to create the caches without actually going to the location.)

Then you have the hangman Wherigo cartridges for constellations, states, presidents, and flags.  There are probably more.  These have you working with the cartridge's creator to get your cache's coordinates in that cartridge.

You also have the Name That Tune cartridge, of which a template can be found here.  I'm sorry, but I openly confess I had to look inside several of those cartridges because I'm not that good when it comes to identifying music.  My interests don't run mainstream to the US as I prefer the likes of Nightwish, Epica, and Within Temptation.

You should be able to create a zoneless cartridge.  You should know how to work with inputs, right?  Well, it's just a bunch of that.  In a new cartridge, find in your builder where to put events to happen when the cartridge starts.  String some messages and inputs together.  At the end, you can either show the final zone or show some coordinates.  So, it would be like this: on cartridge start, show a message box; when the user clicks to clear the message box, show an input; when the user inputs an answer, validate the answer; if the answer is correct, show the final coordinates.  If you go this route, you don't even have to define it as a play anywhere because you're not even working with having to move zones.

There's also the Cacher Integrity Test, which is a zoneless cartridge that should be playable in any emulator.  It asks a bunch of questions and will show final zones based on how many questions you got right.

I'll let you mull over all this and see what you would like to do next.  Take some time to play a few of those in an emulator and see if you want to use something like that for your geoart.

On 4/8/2018 at 7:51 PM, Ranger Fox said:

You can check out the Reverse Wherigo cartridge, which you can use to create as many reverse Wherigo listings as you want.  So, what is it?  When you play this cartridge, it will tell you how far away you are from the geocache.  It won't tell you the direction, though.  You then go to another location and ask it again how far away you are.  You keep doing that, hopefully getting closer, until it says you are close to the cache.  If you bring up a geocache listing for this, you'll notice it says to feed the cartridge three lines of text.  This is used to set up the cartridge for that specific location as the same cartridge is used for all reverse geocaches.  You can create and play reverse Wherigo caches using the same cartridge.  By the way, the easy way to solve this is to move to three locations some distance away and then use triangulation to come up with the final coordinates.  The brute force approach is just to keep asking the cartridge how far away you are until it says you're there.

I would like to use this reverse Wherigo. But it says I need to know a personal password to build my own. I really need to build these from my computer and not through the phone app.

Please help!! Thank you