To upgrade or not to upgrade is the question

Hi we are a family of 4 6 year old and an 8 year old. Wondering if it is worth us upgrading. Does anyone know if I can search by age appropriate kiddy friendly trails?? Wondering if this would benefit us??? It’s quite expensive so don’t want to do it off the cuff 

thanks

Any Feedback greatly appreciated 

You may find  THIS THREAD  of interest.

FYI - Basic Members can log PMO caches via this site:  http://www.geocachingadmin.com/   When logged into their Basic Member account, then go to theaforementioned link, enter the GC Code of the cache, then hit the "Log" button.

FYI - The cost is $30 USD for 1 year when purchased via the website, which is the route I'd suggest using if you decide to purchase.  There are options to purchase via app stores, but it seems like those prices are higher than buying via the website.

It really depends on your area. If there are a lot of caches locked away to premium users only and you want to find them then yes. If there are plenty of caches not locked away it's probably best to stay standard. If you are trying to figure out what caches are easy enough to bring the kids along, check the terrain rating. Although sometimes people don't always put an accurate rating. 

• Upvote 1
On 4/5/2018 at 2:48 AM, vin231183 said:

Hi we are a family of 4 6 year old and an 8 year old. Wondering if it is worth us upgrading. Does anyone know if I can search by age appropriate kiddy friendly trails?? Wondering if this would benefit us??? It’s quite expensive so don’t want to do it off the cuff 

thanks

The most compelling reason to upgrade to premium is the desire to support the listing service (Groundspeak) which provides hours and hours of entertainment.

Most people who can afford a smart phone can afford $30/year.  If the cost is a budget buster for you (and with three kids I can see where it might be) then please, just enjoy the experiences and family time without a second thought.

"Worth it" from a functionality viewpoint is very dependent on your personal usage.  If you're just starting out and taking the kids on a few hunts, then by no means is it worth it.  If you're going out frequently then having the ability to download caches by the thousands into a database type program is a huge benefit.

If not regularly maintained, caches will degrade over time.  What started out as a wonderful stocked container will over time become a wet stinking refuse container.  The best way to find age appropriate kiddy friendly caches is to 1) read the cache page 2) read the logs 3) go out personally ahead of time and find them. 

On 4/5/2018 at 3:48 AM, vin231183 said:

thanks

My cache team include a 3 and 8 y/o.  I don't go rock climbing with them, but I also do not hold them back from the challenges that some locations pose.  I upgraded because it opened a lot of hides in my area, and $30/yr is fair for what they are providing IMO.  This quickly snowballed in my house and the whole family enjoys the hobby and has their own cache kits that they carry when we head out.  If the expense is more about the GPS unit, I found one on a second hand site very affordable.  I had to do this because we were out in the rain hunting one weekend and my phone got a little too wet.  It is also a little more rugged than a cell phone, so I do not mind clipping it on my oldest's pack and letting him carry.