The Best of the Best.

yumitori

I tired posting this to the Washington Geocaching list, but got very little response. So I'll try here...

For our honeymoon, Peggy and I will be vacationing in Washington and Oregon. Obviously, geocaching won't be the primary goal of the trip, but we would both like to hit some of the more interesting caches along our route.

Rough itinerary includes -

One day traveling between Spokane and Seattle.

Two days in the Seattle area.

Two days traveling to Portland, via the Olympic Peninsula, with an overnight stay near Fork.

One day in Portland.

Five days traveling down the Oregon coast, from Tillamook to Harris Beach.

Then one day back up to Portland, via I-5.

And end with one day heading over to Spokane, via the Columbia River Gorge.

So. We would prefer to avoid some of the more difficult puzzle or multi-caches, just due to time concerns, but we're pretty open beyond that. What shouldn't we miss out on, given our limitations? Where would you send your friends and family, if they wanted to see the best geocaching in your area?

Ron/yumitori

....if you find yourself in Pacific City (just a little south of Tillamook), here are a couple around there. "Tricia's Birthday" (near some really great micro-brew and eats) and "One Tree Stands Out Above the Rest". As you wonder further south, to Lincoln City, I can recommend "It's Spring!" (a great little walk in the woods), and "Where The Devil Did It Go??? " (sort of a multi, but not very difficult). Around Newport, "Billy Goats Gruff", "View by the Bay", and just south of town "Ona's Crossing". If you go as far south as Florence, try "Bored Heceta", and "Heceta Blue Spruce". Congratulations to you both!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

"Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

Rough itinerary includes -

Two days traveling to Portland, via the Olympic Peninsula, with an overnight stay near Fork.

This cache is a multi, but since you're in the area, it would be a shame NOT to do it. It's my favorite cache.

On your way down the Oregon Coast, stop here for lunch or dinner. Here is my favorite place to stay on the coast. Tell Rosie I sent you. Be sure to stop here for gifts to take home and a enough free samples to hurt.

Most lincoln city caches are easy drive-bys, but most of them have great views of the rocky coast and the beaches.

If you're staying in Newport, then this is the best hotel because you can stumble there after after an evening spent here.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

If you meant Forks Washington, you might try this Cache.

A little north, but it is one of the most interesting (historically) and stunning (veiw of Canada) I had seen in awhile. Bumpy road going up, but not to difficult. Plus, you get to drive by Lake Crescent, which is AMAZING! -S

What do you call 2,000 pounds of Chinese Soup? Won Ton.

I thought I had included the dates for the trip; sorry about that. We'll be on the road the first couple weeks in June.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Please, keep them coming. I tried doing the zip code search for the cities along the way, but the number available is simply overwhelming. Thus the request for help for those of you who live in the area. You will certainly know which ones are worth the time and effort.

Ron/yumitori

As long as you get on I-5 at Albany (or points south) you can pick up this one or this one while heading back up toward Portland. And here's one out by PDX airport. It's not far from

Blownads, which Nurse Dave and LKay mentioned earlier.

Best wishes for a happy futures together, and sharing great geocaching adventures too!

--laurak and dougk of dasein

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

Ron.

If you are not heading over to the Dry side of the cascades other then The Gorge, I can not suggest any Best of the Best caches for you to do.

I will suggest that you stop at any one of the Moe's resturants along the Oregon Coast and grab a large bowl of Clam chowder and some bread.

Besides, any drive along the Oregon Coast is top notch, even without geocaching. No slam to the Washington coast as I have not been along it but short ways.

logscaler.

Og, I have to do that one! Thanks for the heads up.

If you're not towing a trailer, try the Mo's (as suggested by logscaler) at Otter Rock. Incredible view! It's even worth the little hike from the public parking lot if you are "in tow". Plus, the Flying Dutch Winery Testing Room is next door.

Now, I'm wondering how you proposed....was it in true geocacher style? You know, get on one knee, look deeply into her eyes, and whisper a set of sweet coordinates to her? icon_wink.gif

flir~girl

"Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

One day in Portland.

Assuming the protesters down the street ever find it in their hearts to remove themselves from the center of the Burnside bridge, i figure that one of the best caches to do in Portland if you're only here for a day is this one.

That way, you have some homework to do before your vacation.

And while you're in the neighborhood, you might as well do my best cache. Promise to bring me a 22oz of Scape Goat or Moose Drool, and I'll snail-mail you a CD tomorrow.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

And while you're in the neighborhood, you might as well do my http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=48829. Promise to bring me a 22oz of Scape Goat or Moose Drool, and I'll snail-mail you a CD tomorrow.

Hey, cool! Someone on the I-5 who know about Big Sky Brewing! Sure, send along the CD -

Ron Martino

Box 3153

Missoula, MT 59806

I'll also check out La Cascada. (But I'm a bit confused; it doesn't seem to be a beach cache. Is this the one you intended to link to?)

Oh, and flir~girl, I'm afraid I don't have a cool geocaching proposal story... We weren't into the sport yet. We are planning a cache or two near our wedding site, however!

Ron/yumitori

Hi Ron,

I have had a hard time coming up with good caches to recommend, since I generally prefer those that don't fit in with the requirements that you set forth in your initial post. However, I did one this weekend that I think you would really enjoy - Lewis Gorge Hike.

It is a multicache, but is very well done and in a very scenic spot. It feels surprisingly remote despite being so close to the city. It's well worth a visit if you have the time.

Plus, there are dozens of other nearby caches, so you'll have plenty to hit on your way to and from! icon_smile.gif

icon_geocachingwa.gif