Problems with Reviewer

Hello,

I'm Geocacher in Southern Germany (Baden-Würtemberg, near Stuttgart).

Actually we have a great Local community. The responsible Reviewers for this Area are motivated and stay beside for any question. They are happy to help an do a great Job.

Since about three Months, we have a Reviewer from another Area (Bavaria, near Munich) who interferes in our Area. He Archieve Caches without caring of arrangements made with the local Reviewers.

In our local Community at least ten Cachers gave up Geocaching because of these problems. I Wrote an E-Mail to Groundspeak two Months ago, but I never heard anything from this Side.

Now I (and some other Cacher) am thinking about leaving GC.com because of these Problems.

Maybe someone had already an similar Problem and could help me with some Contacts or something like that.

Sorry for my bad English and Thanks for any Help

"Take my ball and go home" has little to no effect anywhere, really.   I remember similar at work once, and they were told to "put your finger in a glass of water, then watch for the hole it leaves when pulled out".  :)

I guess that Reviewers discuss things with others a lot.  "Arrangements made" doesn't sound like all working towards the same goal.

If you feel there's an issue, the only recourse you have is to send an email to Groundspeak. 

• Upvote 1

The people I'd be inclined to talk to are the local reviewers. I suspect they'd give you a better understanding of what's going on and why. I don't think there's anything you'll be able to do about this new reviewer's actions since it sounds like it just one more aspect of a general change in attitude of GS towards cache maintenance, but I think you're local reviewers will be able to help you adjust to the changes if you can.

I won't defend this reviewer's actions, but I do want to ask you to consider why those caches were archived and whether it's really that big of a deal that they were. Even if you wish they weren't archived, can you still see a reasonable justification for the decision? If so, maybe you should just move on and plant replacement caches instead of archiving caches yourself and leaving the game. I have a hard time seeing the logic in archiving good caches to protest this reviewer archiving caches which must have been in some sense dubious. If you are willing to archive caches so easily, why didn't you archive those caches before that reviewer ever came into the picture?

• Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, Snowsurfer11 said:

He Archieve Caches without caring of arrangements made with the local Reviewers.

Normally these arrangements are well documented in the cache log. Is there a possibility that something is arrange behind the curtain and this leads to misuderstandings.

Snowsurfer, you won't get any traction here on the forum. The forum regulars and moderators won't allow any real critcism of reviewers. They will even retaliate with false accusations and log deletions without any explanation as to what rules have been violated. The help center will continue to ignore your complaints. I suggest you check with geocaching groups on other social media sites to read about the hundreds of problems a few of these reviewers are causing and about all the geocachers who are leaving the game due to the hostile policies of geocaching HQ.

Geocaching HQ continues to perpetuate this problem and everyone wonders, "Why are the numbers down?"

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Nicc from KS said:

Snowsurfer, you won't get any traction here on the forum. The forum regulars and moderators won't allow any real critcism of reviewers. They will even retaliate with false accusations and log deletions without any explanation as to what rules have been violated. The help center will continue to ignore your complaints. I suggest you check with geocaching groups on other social media sites to read about the hundreds of problems a few of these reviewers are causing and about all the geocachers who are leaving the game due to the hostile policies of geocaching HQ.

Geocaching HQ continues to perpetuate this problem and everyone wonders, "Why are the numbers down?"

I took the criticism in the OP at face value and responded on the merits in a polite and informative way. As a forum moderator, I welcome respectful criticism and discussions of issues.

I don't see where in my post that I made any false accusations.

If I retaliated against the OP by deleting logs made by the OP, that would exceed the scope of my authority and would subject me to disciplinary action by Geocaching HQ.  So, I haven't deleted any of the OP's logs.

Other than that, though, your assessment of the forum moderators is spot on.  Thanks for sharing! :)

• Upvote 5
10 hours ago, Snowsurfer11 said:

Maybe someone had already an similar Problem and could help me with some Contacts or something like that.

Sounds like you have a great working relationship with your local Reviewer(s).  Have you tried contacting them to express your concerns?  They might be unaware of the seemingly heavy handed approach of this other Reviewer.  It might give them an opportunity to discuss some of these apparent offline "arrangements" that have been going on, and get them more aligned with local practices and customs.

• Upvote 3