Archive, or pass the baton?

agentGC

Hello friends! It's come time for me to cut ties with the geocache I have hidden. :( I was going to archive it, but then I wondered whether it's an option to pass the cache listing on to someone else should anyone be interested in becoming it's new owner. Is it possible to transfer ownership of a cache? Is it worth it to do that, or should I just take it down so that the space frees up for someone else to place a new cache? I hate to just archive it because people are still coming to find it all the time. Would love to hear opinions and suggestions on this. Thank you!

You could leave a note on the cache page asking about adoptions, and maybe the local faceboook group.   :)

No offense, but I'd question if it's that special to adopt out anyway.  No FPs, and even though a few Lackeys found it, none mentioned that you still didn't leave an OM to correct the NM for the soaked log from 10/17.  It was replaced by another shortly after.  Maybe they'd adopt it...   A couple mentions of a prior cache there, if you archived it it's possible another may spring up new to take its place (and another "smiley" for returnees).  

• Upvote 2

Thank you everyone for your advice! I think I will end up just archiving it so that it remains to be mine, and so that someone else can come in and start something new if they want to. That's how I got my location actually, the cache that used to be there was archived. And I'm glad to know that there actually is a way to transfer ownership of a cache, just knowing that it was an option helped me make my decision. 

• Upvote 2
On 4/4/2018 at 5:15 PM, agentGC said:

I think I will end up just archiving it so that it remains to be mine, and so that someone else can come in and start something new if they want to.

That's what I've done whenever I move.  I know adoption is an option, but I'd like to keep credit for the caching karma my old hides generated.

In the past I've reached out to see if someone wanted to recreate the listing, then left the container in place for the new owner to put in a new log and arranged with a reviewer to archive my listing at the same time the new listing was published.  But that now seems unnecessarily complicated to me.  If someone really likes any of our hides and wants to recreate them in the same spot after we take off, they can decide that for themselves, in their own time.

• Upvote 2