proper GPS format Help!!!!

GovernmentMule

15 hours ago, GovernmentMule said:

stating hiding caches and the first went fine. Now I keep getting rejections saying my GPS format is imcorrect.

Can somebody please explain to me what is wrong with this?

N 35° 57.124 W 079° 43.807

Thank you in advance!

As Viajero Perdido indicated, something is being fussy about the syntax.  The format you're using is Degrees Decimal Minutes (DDM).  Each part will (optionally) include the hemisphere (N/S/E/W) followed by the degrees, a space, then the decimal portion.  Using the degree symbol *should* be optional, as well as the space between the hemisphere and the degrees value.  DDM is the standard format that geocaching uses for displaying coordinates.  "Under the hood" it's converted to DD (Decimal Degrees). For S latitudes,and W longitudes the DD value will be negative.  Thus, the same location could be represented as 35 57.124 -079 43.807 in DDM format or 35.9520667°, -079.7301167° in DD format.

Here is a pretty good site that will perform coordinate conversions:  http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx

The CSP (original cache report form) is fairly robust in what coordinate formats it accepts.

The current cache EDIT form ONLY takes DMM

If you try decimal degrees, or DMS.ss in the edit form you'll get a warning on save:

Please enter coordinates in DDM format.

with a link to the coords format article in the help center

(My admin account can tell you that the edit form DID accept the coords in the OP, issue solved).

3 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

The current cache EDIT form ONLY takes DMM

This caused some profanity at VPHQ the last time I had to enter additional waypoints.  Because I remembered the good old days of flexible input (I had ddd.ddddd from a map and had to do MATH to make the form happy.  And because I thought of the programming effort that likely went into this planetary promotion, and NOT into basic usability.

I don't think GS is listening, but there, I said it.

1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

This caused some profanity at VPHQ the last time I had to enter additional waypoints.  Because I remembered the good old days of flexible input (I had ddd.ddddd from a map and had to do MATH to make the form happy.  And because I thought of the programming effort that likely went into this planetary promotion, and NOT into basic usability.

I don't think GS is listening, but there, I said it.

This issue was compounded with the removal of  link to the coordinate conversion tool that was included on every cache page.   The programming effort to convert DD to DDM was already done, but they removed it.  I don't think I can ever recall anyone asking for the coordinate conversion page and link to be removed.