Website Down??

DyverDown

2 hours ago, Gatwick Girl said:

Same here.   I wonder if we'll get a partial refund on our Premium Membership?   (Won't be holding my breath...!!)

33 minutes ago, noncentric said:

If the site is down for an entire day, then do you want an 8-cent refund?  Really?

:laughing:   

We have some at work who think that when we "Spring forward" for daylight savings, they should be paid OT for that hour.  Though when asked, none think they should be cut an hour when we "Fall back".  :D

Well, this crash lands my Planetary Pursuits. :-(  I only have a few hours left to get caches. I never expected to get very far since my caching time is very limited, but I was hoping to squeeze in a multi and maybe a few more today. If only this happened tomorrow. Lol

Thank you to all the people working hard to fix this issue. I know you’re not happy either.

Goodness sakes...this *is* a problem for those of us who are still trying to aim for the final few souvenirs needed for planetary pursuit! I certainly understand (as I think we all do!) that the IT folks are working as hard as they can, but I'm afraid I must also agree with some of the other users on here and social media: can we please get an extension of the planetary pursuit promotion equal to the outage duration? It seems only fair since most apps (even the "offline" capable ones) aren't able to show anything right now, and for quite a few, that's the only caching tool they own!

17 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

Err, the Planetary Pursuits thing doesn't end until April 8th, another 6 days....

Yeah. Some of the posts in this thread had me worried that it was ending today, even though I thought it went into the 1st week of April.  I had to go back to find the Blog post to assure myself that I wasn't crazy.  "Points" can be collected through April 8th, so we all have this week and another weekend to work on it.  Collect points through April 8th, get them all logged by April 9th.

Edited by noncentric
typo

I haven't been caching as much recently as I had in the past, and have been relying heavily on the app as well as online access. My own fault for not downloading PQs. Site is up / down intermittently right now.

Advice for those logging to accumulate points for Planetary Pursuit - wait for the site to stabilize. Last week I logged a cache right when the site went down, the find was registered but no points were recorded. I had to delete and relog for the points to show up.

Edited by Chrysalides
  • Upvote 1

We were out caching in Oakland, CA today, and it's still on and off, but it was on enough that we were able to navigate to one cache and find it, even though the app kept kicking us off once we were there and we couldn't log it.  This is a learning experience about the utility of Pocket Queries, which we tried for first time last week.  I'm not entirely clear on this, but looks like they can be used to have the coordinates downloaded to your phone or GPS device whether or not the app is working.  Anyway, it was still a great day to be out hiking around with Leatherboot Kid.

I also don’t use social media for geocaching and couldn’t get the maps open or info on the caches. There are several days left but not everyone can just cache all day everyday. There is weather and appointments and work schedules to be considered. We planned to do a bunch today and haven’t been able to do any at this point. We should get an extension to cover lost time even though the makeup hours may not be equal to the days and time lost. We might not be able to go then like we could today. Please hurry and fix and consider giving us more time. We are working very hard to get the points even though it seems impossible.  Thank you. 

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Gatwick Girl said:

Same here.   I wonder if we'll get a partial refund on our Premium Membership?   (Won't be holding my breath...!!)

Let's see, our memberships amount to about 9 cents per day, so if it's down half a day then you may be asking for 4 1/2 cents back. Perhaps if you show up at the office they may refund it. : )

What's more urgent is our planetary pursuit. Perhaps they'll extend the challenge a day so cachers all over the world won't panic and run amok.

I'm seeing the 500 error message when I was trying to log in. I'm glad i"m not the only one, so I won't take it personally.

I had caching planned for the afternoon too, so I'll try not to panic yet. : )

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, HB2401DT said:

since 2 days ... Err 500, nothing works.

Yes, same here, Germany, Provider 1&1, Error 500

I really wonder what has happened.  First thing I learned considering server, software, accessibility was, you NEVER mess around with a life system, you always have a test system /base where you can test/load any changes.

Just now, Mausebiber said:

Yes, same here, Germany, Provider 1&1, Error 500

I really wonder what has happened.  First thing I learned considering server, software, accessibility was, you NEVER mess around with a life system, you always have a test system /base where you can test/load any changes.

Ah, you mean live. I thought you mean "Life" as in "life or death".  Hey, caching is important, but I wouldn't quite go that far (although some will disagree with me). :)

Still things break.

They may be experiencing a higher load because the last days of the challenge are closing in.

Missing today may mean I'll miss the challenge, but hey, I think I'll survive it. :)

Although I would really have loved to have those extra pixels in my souvenir page. Are there any awards for trying? :P   

(oh yeah, I already got some)

Just now, Mausebiber said:

What challenge? Planetary Pursuits is going on for another couple of days.

Have fun, MB

I, like others, have limited time out and about, especially with the variability of the weather right now.

I still need over 100 points, so I may not be able to get out enough to fulfill that requirement.

But if that's the worst thing I have to worry about this week I'm doing well. :)

29 minutes ago, leatherboot said:

We were out caching in Oakland, CA today, and it's still on and off, but it was on enough that we were able to navigate to one cache and find it, even though the app kept kicking us off once we were there and we couldn't log it.  This is a learning experience about the utility of Pocket Queries, which we tried for first time last week.

Glad you were able to find a silver lining, learning about PQ's, with this outage.  Another thing you might find useful is Draft logs. This feature in the app allows you to save a log to your account and then post it later, so you enter the log text while offline and then submit those logs later via the website or app when you're online.

18 minutes ago, Sol seaker said:

Still things break.

They may be experiencing a higher load because the last days of the challenge are closing in.

And I'm sure all the c:geo users out there are not helping the "higher load" situation, especially those that use that app without paying for PM.

Hi all, I finally managed to log all my finds from yesterday and today - heavy caching days, as I will not be able to cache at all for the next week, and I really wanted to finish the planetary pursuit. I found and logged 36 tradis, 1 letterbox and 12 mysteries - by my count, that should be 370 points, exactly what I needed to finish (I had 130 to start with). The weird thing is, my friend league is showing I collected only 315 points altogether - so some 185 disappeared somewhere. Is anyone else having the same problem? And can someone please look into the issue? Thank you!

Veronika aka verunkam81

Edited by verunkam81
1 minute ago, verunkam81 said:

by my count, that should be 370 points, exactly what I needed to finish (I had 130 to start with). The weird thing is, my friend league is showing I collected only 315 points altogether - so some 185 disappeared somewhere. Is anyone else having the same problem? And can someone please look into the issue? Thank you!

You didn't read my post above :D

The system is still unstable and may not record points correctly. Happened to me last week. Find out which ones didn't contribute to points (under Friend League, click on your username to see the list), delete those logs, and log it as Found again.

3 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

Not for me in Germany.

System says: "Sending request to www.google-analytics.com..." and nothing happens.

Just checked my friends league totals and they (as well as my friends) seem to be about on par with where they ought to be.

Cache update is still not responding.

24 minutes ago, Chrysalides said:

You didn't read my post above :D

The system is still unstable and may not record points correctly. Happened to me last week. Find out which ones didn't contribute to points (under Friend League, click on your username to see the list), delete those logs, and log it as Found again.

Aha, no, sorry, did not see your post. The problem is, we are off now for a week, with no internet access. I literally just managed to finish logging for us now as we are heading out the door. If I have to do all these caches again, it is A LOT of logs, for which I unfortunately have no time :(

I had planned today as my big planetary pursuit caching run.  I had it all planned and plotted.  I had it saved to offline.....then, on the third geocache, 69'feet away from ground

zero (which was all snowy), the server went down.  Up and down, up and down, for the next 5 hours.   Instead of the 30 caches I had planned on pursuing, I ended up with 11, and that was only because the other geocaching app on my phone, was somewhat working....but not good, either - and I don't really like that app anyways..... :(

Would gc.com consider extending the deadline for obtaining those 500 points for planetary pursuit?  I am now at work, and now it seems that the server has stabilized, but it's too late for me, I can't leave work until 4am.    I don't know if I will be able to complete all 500 points, which was my goal -- today was the big push day, even with all the snow!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, scrabblehounds said:

I had planned today as my big planetary pursuit caching run.  I had it all planned and plotted.  I had it saved to offline.....

Just curious. Was it saved to offline in the official app?  I thought that if it was saved offline, then you could open that list and see the caches. I haven't tried using the app during an outage, so just wondering if that didn't work?

2 hours ago, verunkam81 said:

The problem is, we are off now for a week, with no internet access. I literally just managed to finish logging for us now as we are heading out the door. If I have to do all these caches again, it is A LOT of logs, for which I unfortunately have no time :(

I don't know if Groundspeak will re-calculate the score, hopefully they will. Otherwise, unless you want to have the caches logged in the exact same order you found them in, you only need to re-log the missing ones. Still tedious, unfortunately. Groundspeak also usually allow a few days after the event is over to allow users to continue logging in order to get the souvenir (because not everyone can get all their logs in on time) so you can fix them then if it is more convenient. Either way, good luck, and have fun with your trip.

3 hours ago, Chrysalides said:

Groundspeak also usually allow a few days after the event is over to allow users to continue logging in order to get the souvenir (because not everyone can get all their logs in on time) so you can fix them then if it is more convenient.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I suspect that logs need to be entered before the Friend League resets on Monday April 9, at noon UTC.  I don't think scores will be tallied after the Friend League resets. That was what happened with the other promotion (Mary Hyde) that relied on Friend League scores.

11 hours ago, Gatwick Girl said:

It was down for five hours.  If it had been a full day, the prorate would be 8.2 cents.

So, here you go.  Don't spend it all in one place.

2243761691_1409df66b0_b.jpg

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, noncentric said:

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I suspect that logs need to be entered before the Friend League resets on Monday April 9, at noon UTC.  I don't think scores will be tallied after the Friend League resets. That was what happened with the other promotion (Mary Hyde) that relied on Friend League scores.

You're right, it does say that. Seems like a short amount of time for people to log for this souvenir especially if they go beyond the asteroid belt. I thought the grace period for the pre-friends league event souvenirs were longer but I may not have remembered correctly.

11 hours ago, Chrysalides said:

You're right, it does say that. Seems like a short amount of time for people to log for this souvenir especially if they go beyond the asteroid belt. I thought the grace period for the pre-friends league event souvenirs were longer but I may not have remembered correctly.

I think you're remembering correctly about the pre-league souvenirs. I suppose it's because the current souvenirs are based on the League score, and that score will be reset on Monday, so GS won't be able to award souvenirs within their current framework.

It is certainly going to be a challenge for me to get my logs submitted by then, as I tend to be behind on Drafts.  Even now, I have about 50 caches yet to log.

On 4/2/2018 at 5:30 PM, noncentric said:

Just curious. Was it saved to offline in the official app?  I thought that if it was saved offline, then you could open that list and see the caches. I haven't tried using the app during an outage, so just wondering if that didn't work?

Saved offline, yes - but the problem was that I got logged out of the app - and I couldn't log back in to access the offline lists.  

All is well now; we ended up doing a power puzzle trail with our son and his family while visiting on April 6 (we didn't expect that!) and got 32 puzzles in one day and got more than double the points we needed for the Planetary Pursuit.  And we have an extra week to earn more!  I am glad GS added the week to help alleviate some of the frustration caused by the outages though. 

9 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Saved offline, yes - but the problem was that I got logged out of the app - and I couldn't log back in to access the offline lists.  

Wait... you need to be logged in to the app / web to use offline information?!?! I don't use the official app, but that seem like a poor design. The third party app I use doesn't need to be connected to the internet to access information stored within it.

Edited by igator210
1 hour ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Logged into the app... YES!

Accessing internet... NO!

Logging in to the app, or logging in to your geocaching.com account on the app?  Because I would assume that to log into the app you need to provide your GC credentials, which requires verification over.... the internet?

Edited by thebruce0
2 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Because I would assume that to log into the app you need to provide your GC credentials, which requires verification over.... the internet?

The word "offline" is self-explanatory... if you are offline, you can always access any info you previously saved for... offline use.

4 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

The word "offline" is self-explanatory... if you are offline, you can always access any info you previously saved for... offline use.

Right, that's what I'd expect, but this doesn't jive then:

9 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Unless she was doing something wrong.

ETA: Case in point, I just logged out of the app in airplane mode, and now can't use it at all until I log in, which requires the internet.

Edited by thebruce0
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:
1 hour ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Right, that's what I'd expect, but this doesn't jive then:

10 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Unless she was doing something wrong.

ETA: Case in point, I just logged out of the app in airplane mode, and now can't use it at all until I log in, which requires the internet.

Exactly. 

To contrast (only to show how truly offline caching should work on a phone, imo) in the app I use it doesn't require a login to use. Rather, the app is connected via the API to be made use of whenever an online request is needed (that API connection does require login and approval, but remains in place until explicitly disconnected or expired).  That means I can open the app, and all content available is assumed to be me because it's my phone - I don't log in or out of the app. If I want to change to a different GC user, I disconnect vai the API and reconnect with a different user (logging in again at that point).

Basically, if the GC service goes down, my app isn't affected unless I need to make a request to the website or API.  Otherwise, everything remains directly and immediately accessible in my app (ie, "offline")

If the official app were to assume a default account for the current phone user, then it wouldn't need the user to 'log in' to use the app for offline content (or prominently prompt to Log Out). It could instead be set up that in order to switch users you'd need to reconnect to the API and grant access / log in.

But, maybe this is more relevant to the official app as it's currently designed:
* It should be made more clear that if the user logs out (within the app), then all offline content which is securely connected to that user will not be available until the user logs in again. So, if you're going where there's no signal or the website goes down, do not "log out"! :)

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

* It should be made more clear that if the user logs out (within the app), then all offline content which is securely connected to that user will not be available until the user logs in again. So, if you're going where there's no signal or the website goes down, do not "log out"! :)

That was the issue - I don't log out of the app on my phone - and caching in no signal areas with my offline lists has worked in the past.  With the recent outage - I was automatically logged out of the app and could not log back in.

That seems to make sense with the design of official app (contrasted to my earlier comment about true offline apps) - in this case it sounds like the app's authorization to connect to your account (to use the API) expired - which is a good thing it itself, but the app took that expiration is a complete log out, rather than continuing to allow you to use the app in offline mode (since it wouldn't need to use online functions anyway).

In short, if I'm guessing correctly, the app is taking the API authorization timeout as a full account disconnection, thus a log out from the app itself, rather than just not having permission to use online API functions but allowing continued offline use until permission (logging in) is required again (ie, when there's internet and the user chooses to).

If that's the case, then it may be a bit simpler of a fix for the GS hamsters. If the API access expires, don't log them out of the app as it appears to do, otherwise they can't continue to use it "offline" (which already assumes they won't be using the website/api) if there's no internet to reconnect to the API.

On 4/2/2018 at 1:03 PM, duncanhoyle said:

Site IS down now, and unfortunately cannot check anything on the website nor within the Geocaching iOS app.

Hope the cause gets identified, and all Geocaching gets back online soon.

Just worried that the ongoing Cache Carnival may get watered down on a should-be very busy Geocaching weekend.

Extension, maybe?

Edited by Dr.MORO
45 minutes ago, Dr.MORO said:

Thought the same thing... we had a day planned with a crew to attack high favs today........lost half the day or more so far...

Site IS down now, and unfortunately cannot check anything on the website nor within the Geocaching iOS app.

Hope the cause gets identified, and all Geocaching gets back online soon.

Just worried that the ongoing Cache Carnival may get watered down on a should-be very busy Geocaching weekend.

Extension, maybe?

I think they may have fixed it. Someone just got the FTF on one of my new caches and I was able to see my cache page and audit log through GC.com. They stated in their log entry that they made the find before the website went down and were only just now able to log it.

Edited by TwistedCube
typo/clarity