Website Down??

DyverDown

6 minutes ago, fairymicha said:

hasn't been working here for a couple of hours... always error 500. never get any further than the login page :( Pity, wanted to head out this evening....

I'm heading out today to get more points for the Planetery Pursuit and there was no warning that the website would be down for a while today. Very upset if I'd known I would've gotten the coordinates ahead of time

3 minutes ago, duncanhoyle said:

Status doesn't indicate anything other than it's broken and the current downtime

http://status.geocaching.com/

Their Twitter feed says that they're working on it

https://twitter.com/GoGeocaching

The same happened last weekend and usually does whenever they put out souvenirs. Time to invest some money in a more robust server setup perhaps...

I don't believe A robust server is going to do automatic website updates. Neither of those sites you gave links to says when they will bring the site back online. 

4 minutes ago, DyverDown said:

Still down here in Canada.... 505 error

DD

Yup, 505 error here to for the US too. I have to be at the spot in an hour that I hope to find multiple geocaches (but I may only get to find 1 that I DNF'd last week) I hope they bring the site back online, otherwise the Planetary Pursuit should be extended. 

I commented on this topic and someone replied with help. I got called away before I could thank them. I'm back now and see it's gone because I was censored (deleted}. I now have no way of thanking that person, unless they see this. Thank You for your help. And the computer is still down.

If you have time to censor maybe you can tell us what's going on?

Edited by rustynails.
  • Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, Pond Bird said:

I don't believe A robust server is going to do automatic website updates. Neither of those sites you gave links to says when they will bring the site back online. 

Learn a little patience. Something is broken and the engineers are working on it. It happens.

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, Frau Potter said:

We have a large team of engineers working to troubleshoot the problem and get us back to full service again. There is a very heavy load on the servers today. Thank you for your continued patience. 

Cindy / Frau Potter

Thank you.  It's somewhat reassuring to know I'm not alone and it's not just my phone or computer that is not working.  Frustrating, yes.  We are traveling and were hoping to pick up a few high favoite point caches today, but at this point we can't pull them up, even to save data for offline.  We didn't anticipate needing to use data offline when we were planning our day today.  

Perhaps there will be an allowance made (an extra day to get the souvenirs or something?) for the Planetary Pursuit and perhaps not.  We may or may not be able to get to the caches we scoped out last night before leaving this area, so we will just readjust and hope to make up the points somewhere else.  Whatever, it's just a game, right?  And this outage appears to be for everyone, so no one has any advantage over anyone else in this.

8 minutes ago, ekhoc said:

Severe overload due to four days off work causing a lot of logging needs? ;)

Yesterday for a while, only the maps weren't working.  I speculate it was related (and today is related?) to a switchover to new maps gone wrong somehow.  (As discussed in another thread, new maps are expected any day now.)

It won't help anybody now, but setting yourself up for offline caching (with certain phone apps or all GPS units) would avoid the dead-in-the-water syndrome where people want to go caching right now, but can't.

• Upvote 4
1 minute ago, Viajero Perdido said:

It won't help anybody now, but setting yourself up for offline caching (with certain phone apps or all GPS units) would avoid the dead-in-the-water syndrome where people want to go caching right now, but can't.

Except for Groundspeak's Geocaching app, all the apps I've used have made offline caching automatic. If I viewed a cache listing, then it was automatically available offline. Groundspeak's Geocaching app is the only one I've used that requires me to do something extra to save cache data for offline use.

6 minutes ago, JustFindingOurWay said:

Looks like unscheduled "scheduled maintenance" to me, given the plethora of announcements that didn't happen!

I'm thinking the conversation went like... "hey, something is severely wrong with the server. You know that maintenance we wanted to schedule?, Lets schedule it now."

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, rustynails. said:

I commented on this topic and someone replied with help. I got called away before I could thank them. I'm back now and see it's gone because I was censored (deleted}. I now have no way of thanking that person, unless they see this. Thank You for your help. And the computer is still down.

If you have time to censor maybe you can tell us what's going on?

I hid your post because of inappropriate language, plus the reply which quoted it.  As a volunteer moderator, I had the time to do that on a break from my paying job.  So, that's what's going on. 

If you provide questions or feedback without cursing, your posts stand a better chance of remaining visible.  Just a tip.

• Upvote 3