Distance from my present location

Tonight when I was creating a new waymark, just before I submitted it I noticed a message that said "E 1369.1  mi from your present location."

The place I'm Waymarking is about 20 miles north of me. I'm wondering if just maybe, they are basing it on the last waymark I submitted, thinking I was there? I don't know! I've never seen this before and I don't know what they're basing it on. Not my Geocaching Home Coords either, which is the first thing I checked.

DiscGolfIsFarAway.png

Edited by Max and 99
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Tonight when I was creating a new waymark, just before I submitted it I noticed a message that said "E 1369.1  mi from your present location."

The place I'm Waymarking is about 20 miles north of me. I'm wondering if just maybe, they are basing it on the last waymark I submitted, thinking I was there? I don't know! I've never seen this before and I don't know what they're basing it on. Not my Geocaching Home Coords either, which is the first thing I checked.

DiscGolfIsFarAway.png

This happens when you create your waymark from the result page of a coordinate search instead of just a category page. The distance from the original search center will then be displayed until the waymark is finished, that's all. It will not be displayed later and has no other effects.

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

There's a coordinate search?

There are lots of different coordinate searches.

"Nearest Waymark" and "Nearest [category name]" on all waymarks, as well as as all "My Saved Searches" belong to them. Also when you use the "near" field when you search for waymarks or enter coordinates under additional search options.

16 hours ago, fi67 said:

This happens when you create your waymark from the result page of a coordinate search instead of just a category page. The distance from the original search center will then be displayed until the waymark is finished, that's all. It will not be displayed later and has no other effects.

Aha!!! Another mystery solved. Thanks fi67! I had always wondered about the estimates given about my "present position". As a rule the numbers were wildly inaccurate, all over the continent. I never bothered to try figuring out the basis for those numbers, though, as they had no bearing on anything of any value.

1 hour ago, iconions said:

...and I just thought it was because Oklahoma was a thousand miles from anywhere!  LOL!!!!  (I'm so in trouble the next time I'm going south to the Sooner State!)

Hey, at least when people come to visit Oklahoma, they no longer have to set their watches back 50 years!  (just 15-20)

9 hours ago, iconions said:

I get to tease - my lovely mother is an Okie.  My grandparents retired to the thriving metropolis of Fairland, Oklahoma, back in the 70's.  I do miss that drive to go visit them!  :)

We go through Fairland fairly often, on the way out to Bartlesville.  Now we'll have an association with this gigantic metropolis.

8 minutes ago, MountainWoods said:

We go through Fairland fairly often, on the way out to Bartlesville.  Now we'll have an association with this gigantic metropolis.

When my grandfather passed away in the mid 80's, he was buried on Monkey Island near Bernice.  He stated that under NO circumstances was he to be buried in the water hole that was the Fairland Cemetery.  

I have great uncles buried in the cemetery in Afton and are the subject of a geocache - Thanks for your Service #45 .  That's a kinda cool semi claim to fame for me.  The one uncle was part of a tank force that was part of the overall attack on Monte Cassino.  His tank was hit by a Stuka.  It's a cool cemetery if you get a chance to explore.