Urwigo Sound

troobloo

I have been working on a reverse Wherigo cache using Urwigo.

The main item is the reverse cache box which entails the player utilising a radar ping to get distance to the cache.I have a media radar sound that I would like to be played

when the player hits his radar ping button. The radar ping works and gets the distance. BUT, I cannot get the the sound to work, can someone assist? I have tried and tried and

searched forums etc but cannot resolve this issue. Attached is the action for the radar ping.

RADAR PING.png

I'm not sure what the problem is. I copied the code exactly as you have it and was able to play it with sound (I added a short sound to my version). Any chance you could upload the urwigo file with the sound file somewhere? Btw, webwigo does not support any sound although the urwigo emulator does.

Could you also upload the .urwigo file? This should look like a green, red, and sort of turquoise colored icon. 

I opened the .lua file for your cartridge and it looks like there are two media assignments for the radar ping sound. The first is a file labeled phone.fdl. This file should be deleted as it is not a valid media type for sound. There should only be .mp3 or .wav media assignments for sound files. I edited the lua file and deleted the phone.fdl and the radar ping works fine now. Here is a link to the working cartridge.

I would recommend using only one file for sound files. Occasionally we use two files for images media based upon if the player is using a garmin or smartphone but I don't think it is really necessary and probably just uses extra space.  

OK, so you suggest not to include the .fdl files for someone using a garmin? I have just uploaded the Bundy Reverse. urwigo file as you requested. Is it possible for you to send me the amended urwigo file? I havent finished the cartridge and when I download your amended Wherigo from Wherigo.com I cannot open it in urwigo to continue working on it.

Edited by troobloo

Ahh I apologize, I had forgotten that .fdl is a valid media type for Garmin. I have not messed around with uploading multiple sound files in urwigo or using .fdl sound files. If anyone else has experience with this please chime in.

I may have found a fix: reverse the order of the media assignments in urwigo so that the .mp3 file is on top. I did this and was able to hear the sound file in the urwigo emulator and on my phone. I have not tested it out yet to see if the .fdl sound plays on my garmin device though. 

media assignment.jpg

• Upvote 1

I tested it this morning and got sound on my iphone se, sony nexus (android), and on my garmin oregon (with the .fdl file).

Best I understand it is this: the way the cartridge was originally set up, the .fdl file is not readable by the phone or emulator but since it is a valid media type and it was the first media listed, the players read it but can't do anything with it. The way the cartridge is setup now, they read the .mp3 file first and we get mp3 sound. But if I switch over to my garmin and choose the garmin download type from the Wherigo.com website, the mp3 file is stripped from the cartridge (when it is being downloaded on Wherigo.com) and the first sound on the list now becomes the .fdl file.

It's interesting to infer the Wherigo builder does not strip out FDL files from a Pocket PC cartridge download.  I'm familiar with it stripping the MP3 files out of a Garmin cartridge download.  And this also means the player apps themselves do not seem to choose from the media list based on a preferred format (i.e. when it sees both FDL and MP3, it's supposed to choose MP3 as the preferred format before it attempts to load the FDL file).

Great going, Forest-Ghost!

Thank you Forest-Ghost for your time and expertise and testing on different player platforms to resolve this issue. I understand your logic on which order the sound files should be  now. Such a small difference in the set up can make a huge difference when playing cartridge. Huge thanks from me !!