Offline Information - Is the premium worth it?

So I have a smartphone but I do not have a data plan on my phone. However, I can access WiFi. I am just trying to figure how the offline access. I understand that you can download them to a list and use them offline, but can you see them on the all the different types of maps? Also, does it track you like it does when you use internet? I'm sorry if questions seem silly, but I am trying to see whether or not I want to get a premium account and tell whether or not that it is for me?

If you have any more advice or information about the offline maps, I would really appreciate it.

22 minutes ago, nickeltaytay said:

... but I am trying to see whether or not I want to get a premium account and tell whether or not that it is for me?

Being PM, if you save the information (Lists or PQs) for offline use, you will see it without any access.

If you want, you can have a voucher for a free month of Premium Membership, just to try all the benefits.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
On 3/31/2018 at 1:41 PM, RuideAlmeida said:

Being PM, if you save the information (Lists or PQs) for offline use, you will see it without any access.

If you want, you can have a voucher for a free month of Premium Membership, just to try all the benefits.

How would I get one of these vouchers?

Hope you enjoy the Premium trial that RuideAlmeida provided you.

In regards to some of your questions:

On 3/31/2018 at 11:19 AM, nickeltaytay said:

I understand that you can download them to a list and use them offline, but can you see them on the all the different types of maps?

Assuming you're using the official app, then caches you download offline will show up with the "Trails" map tiles. The other map types are not downloaded with offline lists.

On 3/31/2018 at 11:19 AM, nickeltaytay said:

Also, does it track you like it does when you use internet?

The tracking will depend on the GPS reception of your phone, so you'll want to make sure your phone's Location Services are turned on to allow you phone to track you. The app will then use that GPS info to show your location on the downloaded "Trails" map.

As a Premium Member long time using dedicated handheld GPSr device, the mobile thing was unattractive to until I got into mapping on my Samsung Galaxy S2 8 inch tablet.

It's wi-fi and ethernet (I found an adapter from Pluggable) only.  While I could transport data through a hotspot on a smart phone, that's a level of complexity I'll avoid except back in the hotel room to refresh pocket queries on the tablet.

I use cgeo and Locus Pro, both with Open Street Maps (OSM) and downloads of the USGS Topo (Scanned) maps for those special hard to get to and out of places where modern maps have discarded useful details, such as where the trails go.  Both will work with loading PQs and have some logging abilities I have yet to explore, largely because I'm not running Wi-Fi or ethernet out in the field.

The tablet affords a large map view and pans/zooms rapidly, so it's a peach for figuring where you are and where you wish to go.  Routing and such features are available in Locus, but I haven't explored that, yet either.  When closing in for the find the handheld is still the preferred devices, since I tend to fall or drop things a lot and the old Garmin unit is pretty rugged (where a tablet or phone screen will not be.)

If more information on caching this way is desired feel free to PM me.

Edited by DragonsWest