Abandoned accounts

Moriarty

Hi,

I'm searching names for new geocachers ans I discovered that there are a lot of old abandoned accounts with really cool names and with 0 geocaches found.  Could Gecaching HQ erase this abandoned accounts to free these names?

I'm talking about accounts with 0 geocaches found and more than 5 years old.

What do you think?

Thanks!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Moriarty said:

I'm searching names for new geocachers ans I discovered that there are a lot of old abandoned accounts with really cool names and with 0 geocaches found.  Could Gecaching HQ erase this abandoned accounts to free these names?

I'm talking about accounts with 0 geocaches found and more than 5 years old.

What do you think?

Good luck with that...       The site does check time-to-time, but not sure how they "reissue" those names, or when.

For example, I asked for a name similar to mine, another had it, no finds and inactive.  Was told that they don't do that (I knew better).  Just a short time later a brand-new member typed it in at sign-up and got that name.  They were actively finding caches (and have a find total on their profile), so no chance for me now.   May be a different reason, but one of many examples of why the site's criteria is strict now...

Edited by cerberus1
25 minutes ago, Moriarty said:

why can’t I register a nick that anyone have? I have found a name that dosen’t belong to any geocacher, but the site doesn’t let me register it.

Does it have spaces, ampersands, or other similar markings in the cache name?  Those don't play well with the site for a while now, and some still around are granfathered.

25 minutes ago, Moriarty said:

why can’t I register a nick that anyone have? I have found a name that dosen’t belong to any geocacher, but the site doesn’t let me register it.

Without knowing what it is, we can't answer. Maybe it has a character that isn't accepted (see Help Center)?

Usernames must be between 2 and 20 characters. Geocaching.com supports the following characters for usernames; all other characters, including spaces, are invalid:

• a to z
  • A to Z
  • 0 to 9
  • ä ö ü ë ï ÿ æ œ ß á é í ó ú ý à è ì ò ù â ê î ô û ç ñ å ů č ě ň ř š ž ť ø ď

37 minutes ago, Moriarty said:

No, only letters, 9 letters, without special characters, spaces, etc.

like: abcdefghi

Maybe the site thinks abecedarian  names are the work of a bot?

- Got those weird post swaps going again...

Edited by cerberus1
added errors in posts
17 minutes ago, Moriarty said:

No, it’s Not an abecedarian name.

Can it be due to a filter of meaning? It’s not an insult or a rude word but it has a negative meaning.

Possible.  We know one who had a period placed in their name (not sure if they were asked to, or done for them).  The name without wasn't obscene, but wasn't very nice/family-friendly.   :)

7 hours ago, Moriarty said:

Wow, it’s very strange. I can’t see that user. I only see two users with scamander: scamander87 and scamanderfamily

It is known for years that users with e-mail not verified will not show in standard search functions of the website. This is one of them.

15 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Does it have spaces, ampersands, or other similar markings in the cache name?  Those don't play well with the site for a while now, and some still around are granfathered.

Didn't know that.  We're going to hold on to our space for as long as is possible, then.