ISS Sightings May 21 2018 - Houston to Albany

Bon Echo

After the ISS passes over Bon Echo in Hamilton Ontario Canada on the evenings of both May 20 and 21, it will continue to be lighted by the sun as it crosses the Atlantic Ocean. It will pass over southern France and Italy on the mornings of May 21 and 22. I hope someone can wake up early enough to join us in Waymarking these two Passes.

Check the GMT time and date closely. There is a difference of 1 day and 1 hour between the two photos.

ISS France-Spain.jpg

Updated predictions for my locations.

Date     Brightnes    Start                             Highest point                      End                              Pass type
                (mag)     Time      Alt.        Az.     Time     Alt.     Az.                 Time     Alt.     Az.
20 May    -2.9    23:19:05    10°    WSW    23:22:17    50°    NNW    23:25:28    10°    NE       visible
21 May    -3.9    22:26:44    10°    WSW    22:30:00    85°    NNW    22:33:17    10°    ENE    visible
22 May    -3.7    21:34:37    10°    SW        21:37:48    52°    SE         21:41:00    10°    ENE    visible
24 May    -3.5    21:26:27    10°    WSW    21:29:42    70°    NNW    21:32:58    10°    NE      visible

Bon Echo, I'm still available, and I'm currently traveling for a meeting on Saturday, May 19. I'm planning to travel and be on site to observe the ISS Pass on May 20 and May 21 from West Texas as described in a previous post of May 10. Times and Altitude have shifted a little, but I'm still good to go.

Someone mentioned a friend in Chicago area. Are they joining us? I have a friend who will be traveling through Indiana on the 21st and will be available. He's too far south for the 20th. 

10 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Bon Echo, I'm still available, and I'm currently traveling for a meeting on Saturday, May 19. I'm planning to travel and be on site to observe the ISS Pass on May 20 and May 21 from West Texas as described in a previous post of May 10. Times and Altitude have shifted a little, but I'm still good to go.

Someone mentioned a friend in Chicago area. Are they joining us? I have a friend who will be traveling through Indiana on the 21st and will be available. He's too far south for the 20th. 

Thanks! I contacted The Snowdog and they said they are still interested, and the evening passes on the 21st and 22 work for them. It's looking like weather might be a factor for me with rain in the forecast. "Cloudy Periods" and "Chance of Showers" for the weekend here. Hopefully at least one of those 4 evenings will be clear enough. I'm going to recommend that The Snowdog and I try for both the 20th and 21st and hopefully we are each successful on at least one of those. I'm happy with just one ISS WM for this round, hopeful it will be the 21st since it will be so close to directly overhead.

I just checked France, Spain, and Portugal.

On the morning of May 21, it will be viewable from Guimaraes, Portugal at Max Alt of 59° to the NNE at 04:36:11.  Weather may be a factor with 20% chance of rain.

On the morning of May 22, It will be viewable as far north as Châtellerault, France at Max Alt of 46° to the SSW at 04:44:39. Weather may be a factor with 70% cloud cover and 50% chance of rain.

Both of the above ISS Passes are the same passes as Bon Echo has listed for May 20 and May 21 in Hamilton, Ontario.

I will also be viewing these two passes from Texas and am available to partner with anyone.

6 minutes ago, elyob said:

I do not need a post in the category and I will be happy to use my sighting as a waymark visit.  However, if anybody would benefit from a partner in Ottawa, Canada, let me know.  I hope to be out again tomorrow night.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMYAHT_Ottawa_ON

My star chart did not show the position of the Moon. Usually it does show the Moon on that chart. Check your star chart. Was the Moon on yours?

9 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

My star chart did not show the position of the Moon. Usually it does show the Moon on that chart. Check your star chart. Was the Moon on yours?

The moon was on my chart but was actually smaller than Jupiter.

No luck here tonight, 100% overcast, did not see a single celestial body. Disappointing, but so glad that yesterdays pass turned out as nice as it did. Will try again on Thursday (although that one is too early for viewing in Oklahoma City area).

21MayRadar.JPG

Edited by Bon Echo
4 minutes ago, Bon Echo said:

Was planning to waymark two consecutive sightings with The Snowdog - I'm guessing it would have been a Waymarking first (two consecutive days, same teams, same locations).

That must be very disappointing.  This category is certainly a challenge.

12 minutes ago, elyob said:

Did you have a potential partner that could benefit from a sighting in Ottawa, Canada?

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMYAQ8_ISS_Sighting

The Snowdog was supposed to get his first ISS catch on this. If he didn't get out to see it, I could be your partner. He and I are both in the Oklahoma City area, so only one can partner, and I got one a few months ago.

3 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

The Snowdog was supposed to get his first ISS catch on this. If he didn't get out to see it, I could be your partner. He and I are both in the Oklahoma City area, so only one can partner, and I got one a few months ago.

Thank you very much for the offer.  I don't actually need a post in the category.  Perhaps, the three of us (The Snowdog included) should be waiting to hear if potential partners in Europe need to match up with our sightings.

Thanks to Bon Echo who messaged me about ISS passes last night and tonight. I had lost track of this thread until just now. We did indeed get back to back ISS sightings. Last night's WMs are posted (from both of us) and I've submitted tonights. I am always good for any ISS pass that goes over central Oklahoma so please message me if you want to team up on one.

Edited by The Snowdog

As I understand it, The Snowdog can still create a WM for tonight, even though I was clouded out. That would allow elyob and vulture1957 to partner up for their sightings.

This is fun, I just wish there was an easier way to tell what cities the ISS will pass over when you find one that works for you.There's another visible pass here tomorrow night but I'm not sure where it will pass over to the south of me. A long way east of Oklahoma, that much I can tell.

So a question about partners. Here in the OKC area there are at least two waymarkers who are interested in ISS sightings. Could an appropriately distant third party partner with both for a given pass? I know at least one of the moderators for this category is following this thread - what do you think?

19 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

So a question about partners. Here in the OKC area there are at least two waymarkers who are interested in ISS sightings. Could an appropriately distant third party partner with both for a given pass? I know at least one of the moderators for this category is following this thread - what do you think?

We would prefer separate partners. We did make one exception after a reviewer discussion before the Pass. 3 best friends living in 3 different States. Two of them were too close along the flight path. The third was more than 1 minute of flight time from the other two. We allowed a threesome Waymark. Oklahoma City is about on the same SW to NE path as Elyob, Bon Echo, and TriciaG, so finding a partner shouldn't be a problem.  For a NW to SE Pass, if the ISS passes to the West side of OKC, I may be able to partner with them.

As we have seen over the past two Months, you can make future plans, but you have to expect the time to change, and the Pass will drift to the NW or SW. Bon Echo's first post on March 28 said May 21 would be 22:13 Eastern Time at Max Altitude of 70° to the SE. By May 21 it had changed to 22:30 at Max Altitude of 85° to the NW. That's a difference of 17 minutes and 25°. The ground track moved 100 miles/160km to the NW. For me, who is farther south, the ground track moved 150 miles/250km and an angle change of 27°.

We just had several viewable passes over a 4 day period with very few viewable passes for weeks before and weeks after. This tends to be the normal process as the Earth rotates beneath the ISS. Check for passes on a monthly basis.

On 5/21/2018 at 10:15 PM, The Snowdog said:

Thanks to Bon Echo who messaged me about ISS passes last night and tonight. I had lost track of this thread until just now. We did indeed get back to back ISS sightings. Last night's WMs are posted (from both of us) and I've submitted tonights. I am always good for any ISS pass that goes over central Oklahoma so please message me if you want to team up on one.

What web site did you use for your research? I like the ground path photo you posted on your Waymarks. It's much easier to figure out which cities are near the pass.

Snowdog photo.jpg

20 minutes ago, elyob said:

8nuts MotherGoose, do you know if any other waymarkers require sighting partners (with me or vulture 1957) from the 20th or 21st of May?  

I had a friend traveling through Indiana that wanted to join in but he was clouded out both nights. I am not aware of anyone else. I don't think anyone in France, Spain, or Portugal observed it in the wee hours of the morning on either pass.

While traveling, I observed the ISS Pass on both the 20th and 21st at two different locations. If you want me as a third party from Texas to extend your viewing line approximately 500 miles/800 km, I can create Waymarks. You both will have to include my Pass info into your Waymarks. Texas would be Site 1, Oklahoma is Site 2, and Ontario is Site 3. The choice belongs to you two. Let me know.

On 21/05/2018 at 11:03 PM, vulture1957 said:

vulture1957, shall we team up with 8nuts MotherGoose for a threesome with our sightings from back on the 21st?

Edited by elyob
1 hour ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

What web site did you use for your research? I like the ground path photo you posted on your Waymarks. It's much easier to figure out which cities are near the pass.

Snowdog photo.jpg

I tried to find what was used, and instead found this site:

http://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=25544#

only provides 10-day predictions but when you view a prediction is shows a great zoomable map:

ISS-1.JPG

ISS-3.png

6 hours ago, Bon Echo said:

I tried to find what was used, and instead found this site:

http://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=25544#

only provides 10-day predictions but when you view a prediction is shows a great zoomable map:

That's great! I'll have to do some studying on that site to learn what it will do for me. I'll bookmark it in my search engine. 10 days gives you time to find a partner and even check a 10-day weather forecast for their area before you contact them.

https://www.heavens-above.com/main.aspx is the web site listed in the Category description. Do a search for "heavens above" and it should show.

I'll still use Heavens Above to find long term future predictions, knowing the ground path and time will shift as it gets closer to actual date.

Looks like a great pass for me tonight:

Time: Thu May 24 9:27 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 71°

This appears to be the same pass that Bon Echo posted graphics for a couple posts up.

Edit: I'm in the Toronto area.

Edited by TriciaG
2 hours ago, TriciaG said:

Looks like a great pass for me tonight:

Time: Thu May 24 9:27 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 71°

This appears to be the same pass that Bon Echo posted graphics for a couple posts up.

I have a friend at the big Geocaching Event in Cincinnati, Ohio. He may be observing the ISS tonight at 21:28:40 at max altitude of 49° to the NW. I told them to contact you if they remember to observe it.

On 5/21/2018 at 11:03 PM, vulture1957 said:

vulture1957, should we partner for that sighting back on May 21st?

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMYAQ8_ISS_Sighting_Del_Rio_TX_Bethany_OK_Ottawa_ON_site_3

Edited by elyob

*sigh*

I saw the ISS last night, but I didn't get a screen shot of my phone's GPS. I can almost never get that stupid screen shot feature to work. How strict is the waymark owner? Do I have to have that screen shot?

I got a great picture of Venus over the nearby houses, though. And I got a pic of the ISS, but it's just a white dot in a dark sky.

Edited by TriciaG
8 hours ago, TriciaG said:

*sigh*

I saw the ISS last night, but I didn't get a screen shot of my phone's GPS. I can almost never get that stupid screen shot feature to work. How strict is the waymark owner? Do I have to have that screen shot?

I got a great picture of Venus over the nearby houses, though. And I got a pic of the ISS, but it's just a white dot in a dark sky.

What we want is a screenshot of the ISS ground path. It does not require a GPS in the photo any more.

You can always ask your partner to search for the pass over Toronto and send you a screenshot photo of the ground pass.

My friend in Cincinnati was at his brothers place for dinner and forgot to look for the ISS.

Oklahoma City was in daylight and could not see it.

Anyone else see it that was far enough away from her to partner with her?

10 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

What we want is a screenshot of the ISS ground path. It does not require a GPS in the photo any more.

You can always ask your partner to search for the pass over Toronto and send you a screenshot photo of the ground pass.

My friend in Cincinnati was at his brothers place for dinner and forgot to look for the ISS.

Oklahoma City was in daylight and could not see it.

Anyone else see it that was far enough away from her to partner with her?

I just PM'd you. I've got the ground path. Glad to hear the GPS photo isn't required anymore. (It's still in the directions/description.)

I'm thinking any partner would have had to be in the Canadian Maritimes or Quebec, or in Europe somewhere (which would have been the middle of the night for them). Too far west wouldn't have worked, since it was dusk/last light around here.

If I don't get a partner, no worries.

Edited by TriciaG
12 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I have a (hopefully) great viewing ahead on June 8 in central OK but can't find anyone in LA or NW of me to join in. I'll be watching anyways.

yes, I was just looking at that, myself. It goes from about Spokane WA, thru Idaho, Wyoming, over Denver, hits Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and goes into shadow just before it goes over New Orleans. That new site N2YO is great for figuring out where to look for players.

image.thumb.png.48395d88a12acb7e7700a7bc1ae6083a.png