ISS Sightings May 21 2018 - Houston to Albany

Bon Echo

Looking for player(s) interested in creating an ISS Sighting waymarks on Monday May 21st. The station will be close to overhead in Houston Texas (hint hint) and will track just south of the Great Lakes.

I'm in Hamilton Ontario and for me the station will pass with a Maximum altitude of 70° and a brightness of  -4.0 at  22:13:35 eastern time

http://heavens-above.com/gtrack.aspx?satid=25544&mjd=58260.0927771395&lat=43.2599&lng=-79.8494&loc=hamilton&alt=86&tz=EST

PassGTrackLargeGraphic.aspx?satid=25544&

In Houston, the station will pass with a maximum altitude  of 78° and a brightness of  -3.7 at 21:08:43  central time

http://www.heavens-above.com/gtrack.aspx?satid=25544&mjd=58260.0894001302&lat=29.774&lng=-95.3576&loc=Houston&alt=16&tz=CST

Probably more than a few waymarkers in between those two locals, could possibly set up a three-point sighting.

Two nights ago I finally made it out to see the ISS, it was max alt 82° and so bright and now I'm hooked! Went out again tonight to watch it pass at max alt of 42°, what a big difference.

I may have missed it, but most passes between now and late May that are high enough are from Northwest to southeast (from Hamilton to Pennsylvania), so it's harder to get the minimum distance, or they are early in the morning. I'm not interested in getting up at 5 am to look at some light in the sky.

Thanks

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

I have tried to connect with people for the ISS waymark so many times...good luck, hope it works out for you. This one doesn't get anywhere near central OK so I'll be no help.

there is one at 22:00 or so May 20 that goes 83 deg over OKC area, and should be visible for Bon Echo in Hamilton. ALso over Chicago area, and I have a contact there that may want to play.

10 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

there is one at 22:00 or so May 20 that goes 83 deg over OKC area, and should be visible for Bon Echo in Hamilton. ALso over Chicago area, and I have a contact there that may want to play.

That would work on this end - except that is the Sunday of a long weekend (Victoria Day weekend in Canada) and we may be further south at the Allegany Geobash. But even if we are, that location would still work, barely.

Maximum altitude    23:06:30    48°

Brightness  -2.9

I am on a visible path for May 21 at 21:47:03 CDST at an ALT of 67° to the NW. I'm in Donna, TX.

From past experience, I want to remind you that between now and May 21, the ground path will slowly shift toward the NW. By May 21, It may be below ALT 45° for me.

On 3/29/2018 at 0:06 PM, vulture1957 said:

Contact The Snowdog and Cldisme (in Joliet IL) to see if they'll play. If so, I'll watch the overpass and visit all your waymarks! The Snowdog and I are really in the same area, and I already got my waymark, so I'll let The Snowdog get this. If he can't do it, I'll make myself available.

Sorry, vulture1957, you are only allowed to Visit the nearest Waymark, not all of them.

Here is a question for all you ISS watchers.

As seen in the ISS Pass photos above. On May 21, the ISS is visible as it passes along the St Lawrence Seaway around 10:15 pm. On May 20, the ISS is visible as it passes along the St Lawrence Seaway around 11:00 pm.

QUESTION: How late can the ISS still be seen during this later part of May? 

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
Clarifying question.
12 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Here is a question for all you ISS watchers.

As seen in the ISS Pass photos above. On May 21, the ISS is visible as it passes along the St Lawrence Seaway around 10:15 pm. On May 20, the ISS is visible as it passes along the St Lawrence Seaway around 11:00 pm.

QUESTION: How late can the ISS still be seen during this later part of May? 

on the ascending pass, it should be getting close to visible anytime (arctic circle has light 24 hours around summer stolcis. (sp)

On 4/1/2018 at 10:43 AM, vulture1957 said:

on the ascending pass, it should be getting close to visible anytime (arctic circle has light 24 hours around summer stolcis. (sp)

You are correct. In the Summer, even when we are in the dark of night, the ISS is still reflecting the sun's rays that come from over the Arctic.

Bon Echo picked the right pass. It stays in sunlight all night and produces a 9000 mile (14,484 kilometers) path on which to find partners. The path starts somewhere in the Pacific ocean off the coast of Mexico, and stops at sunrise in Mogadishu, Somalia on the East coast of Africa.

May21-22.jpg

Thanks everyone for the replies and sorry for the late response.

Can I waymark both the May 20 and the 21 passes, with different partners? unless someone else is the more norther reaches is interested in either day. The May 20th pass with The Snowdog in Oklahoma City and the 21st with Max and 99 in TN?

there's lots of room (>1200kms) between those locations and Hamilton Ontario if anyone else can join in

1 minute ago, Bon Echo said:

Can I waymark both the May 20 and the 21 passes, with different partners? unless someone else is the more norther reaches is interested in either day. The May 20th pass with The Snowdog in Oklahoma City and the 21st with Max and 99 in TN?

there's lots of room (>1200kms) between those locations and Hamilton Ontario if anyone else can join in

I'm doing both as well. I have everything set up for May 20, just crossing my fingers for good viewing weather.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:46 AM, Bon Echo said:

Yes, you can do the 2 days with different partners, or even the same partner. They are 2 different passes.

It's even possible to do 2 passes on the same day with a different partner for each pass. Example - On May 21, early in the morning, the ISS passes over the Philippines, across the Pacific, over Eugene, Oregon, heading SE between Las Vegas, Nevada and Salt Lake City, Utah, then passes over me at 06:10 am. In the evening the ISS passes to my NW at 21:10:16 pm, passes to the SE of Benchmark Blasterz at 21:11:46, over Bon Echo in Canada at 22:16:17, and then continues on to pass over the France/Spain Border.

First priority should be given to Bon Echo and The Snowdog. I don't think either of them have created a Waymark for this Category. Both must view the ISS at an Alt greater than 45°. 
Now the Problems:
1. For the ISS Pass on the evening of May 20, The Snowdog is viewing the pass at an ALT of 89°, which is almost straight overhead. Bon Echo will be at the Geobash in New York. He said in a message here on March 29 that the ISS would pass at Alt 48°. Because the pass is slowly moving to the NW, the Alt is now at 46°, and will drop below 45° by May 20. He will not be able to Waymark that Pass if he stays at the Geobash.
2. For the ISS Pass on the evening of May 21, Bon Echo is viewing the Pass at an Alt of 74° in Hamilton, Ontario, which is good. For The Snowdog, the chart is showing an Alt of only 38°, which is too low. Don't despair. The ISS path moves a little to the NW each day as the path is recalculated, which means the Alt will rise a little each day. By May 21, the Alt may be at or above 45°. Lets wait and see. Meanwhile, we still have Benchmark Blasterz and myself prepared to pair with Bon Echo, if needed.
3. Max and 99 and Benchmark Blasterz are too close to pair with The Snowdog. They are all in the same minute of Flight Path. We need another person at least 300 miles northeast or southwest of Oklahoma City to observe the May 20 Pass with The Snowdog.

Not 100% sure i will be at the geobash, don't know if i will get permission to go this year :) If we stay home, I will be a bit further north, in Hamilton Ontario for both passes.

I didn't realize that the parameters are recalculated each day. I thought the times and altitudes that are posted now are what they will be (or very close anyways) come that date.

Lets see how it looks in 3 weeks from now.

I assume you wouldn't be able to see it from an angle worthy of this category from the Los Angeles area on that day. If anyone knows when the ISS will pass over my area and another waymarker's area in the future please let me know. I'll be happy to assist.

On 4/15/2018 at 7:39 PM, bluesnote said:

I assume you wouldn't be able to see it from an angle worthy of this category from the Los Angeles area on that day. If anyone knows when the ISS will pass over my area and another waymarker's area in the future please let me know. I'll be happy to assist.

I explained how to do the search yourself in this forum about a year ago - see below for a refresher course. All viewable ISS Passes for you in Los Angeles that go from SW to NE also pass over Minnesota and States between. I also mentioned in the past that an ISS Pass that flies over Texas to the Great Lakes region will pass over near Los Angeles on its next pass in 90 minutes. Therefore, You probably have visible passes on either May 20 or May 21 or both.

22 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Well Bummer, it appears the path of the ISS on May 20 has changed significantly and I will not be able to partner up with anyone. So disappointing!

WHAT? Currently I'm seeing the ISS on the 20th as Alt 72° to OK City's NW. I don't think It will drop below 45° by then. And on the 21st, it's now 49° to the SE and rising so you could partner with someone for that one.

Here's a recap of Events for the ISS Pass on May 21.
When Bon Echo, in Hamilton Ontario, first posted on March 28, he said the ISS would pass on the 21st at altitude of 70° (To his SE) at 22:13:35 eastern time.
Now, 26 days later and about 1/2 the original time to May 21, the ISS will pass at altitude of 88° (To his SE, almost directly overhead) at 22:25:18 eastern time.

Changes from original are; rise in Altitude of 18°, time is later by 11.5 minutes, and the Ground path has shifted to the NW by about 100 miles.

At my Location in the South tip of Texas two day after Bon Echo's post, The ISS would pass on May 21 at Altitude 70° to my NW at 21:09:55 Central Time.
Now it is at Altitude 46° to my NW at 21:19:19 Central Time.

The Altitude has dropped 24° and the Ground Track has shifted 130 miles to the NW.
By May 21 the Altitude will be well below 45°.

To stay in an area where the pass is greater than 45°, I am planning a trip.
I will travel 500 miles to the Odessa, Texas area to observe the ISS Pass on both May 20 to the NW and May 21 to the SE. I will be greater than 1 minute of flight time from Dallas and Oklahoma City.
I still have hopes of finding a partner willing to get up at 4:00 am in France, Spain, or Portugal to observe one of those two passes.

Edit to clarify.
8 hours ago, Alfouine said:

In France, which cities ?

Alfouine, your profile page says you are in Tours. Unfortunately, that is too far North. The ISS will be passing over the France/Spain Border area on the early morning of May 22. The ISS Category requires that you observe the ISS at an Altitude of 45° or higher. By May 22, the ISS will be below that for your location.

Don't despair. Read on to see another message after I address razalas' post.

2 hours ago, razalas said:

I live in Portugal if it passes around here will be happy to do it.

razalas - We need a town near you. If you are in Lisbon, you may be too far south for the pass on the morning of May 21, and too far north for the pass on the morning of May 22. If you are near Mirandela, you will have a great view for the morning of May 21.

Also see the next post.

Add last sentence.

Alfouine and razalas, On the evening of May 22, the ISS will be passing from SW to NE. It will pass close to both of you. This is about a month away and the pass will shift about 160 km during that time toward the Northwest. I think it will still be greater than 45° for both of you.

If you don't know how to work with the Heavens-Above web page. Look above at the bottom of my post on April 17. That older post will tell you how. In the upper right corner of Heavens-Above, you can choose your preferred language. 

Tours-Merandela.gif

Just now, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

razalas - We need a town near you. If you are in Lisbon, you may be too far south for the pass on the morning of May 21, and too far north for the pass on the morning of May 22. If you are near Mirandela, you will have a great view for the morning of May 21.

Also see the next post.

I'm in the north of the country in the city of Guimarães almost the same latitude as Mirandela (around N 41° 26.813 W 008° 17.509)

razalas - You are correct. That pass will work with Alfouine as your partner in Tours, France. Keep a watch on it once a week. Everything will change as the flight path gets recalculated. You will see that the center time will change and the Max Alt will change which are the two items most important for you.

Also, six lines above that pass is the pass that starts with 21 May  3.1... That is the ISS Pass that starts on the evening of May 20, crosses the United States, goes over southeast Canada, across the Atlantic, passes midnight and changes dates, and comes to you from the NW at 04:31:34 at Max Alt of 54°. The entire flight takes place during night time, but the ISS is reflecting sunlight and can be seen during the entire flight. Remember, those times and altitudes will change as we get closer to May 21.

You will be working with myself and others to create the longest series of Waymarks along a single flight pass.

Add last sentence.
6 hours ago, pmaupin said:

Hello
Do you think she will go to the north of France, in front of Great Britain, and if so when will she?

At the bottom of my post on April 17, I show my original postings about the ISS from a year ago. It teaches how to search the Heavens-Above web site for ISS Passes near your home. Yesterday, razalas went to that previous post, learned how to do it, and then posted a photo of passes near his home.

The ISS goes as far north as 53° Longitude. From Paris, any ISS Pass that goes north of Paris is viewed from Paris at greater than 45° Altitude. There are at least two Passes greater than 45° Altitude  every night from May 14 to May 30. At least one every night looks similar to this photo.

Paris.jpg

corrected spelling.

Another requirement is the observers must be at least 1 minute of flight time from each other. 1 minute of flight time is 472 km or 293 miles along the flight path. We determine the time by using the time listed for the Max Alt. If an observer in Paris sees the ISS at Max Alt at 02:19:25, the other observer must see it at Max Alt on or before 02:18:25 OR on or after 02:20:25. We can have an Observer in Paris work with an Observer in Ireland because they are more than 1 minute of flight time apart. However, an Observer in Paris, and an Observer in central United Kingdom, although more than 472 km apart, are still observing the ISS during a period that is less than 1 minute of flight time. See photo for illustration.

We know that each observer must see the ISS at the Max Altitude equal to or greater than 45°. This requirement is to give the Observer the ability to see a bright object, rather than "I think I saw it just above the horizon, but I'm not sure." The time of Max Alt is also used to locate where you are along the flight path in relation to other Observers. You are not required to see the ISS at the moment of Max Altitude. On a partly cloudy night, you observe the ISS moving across the sky toward you and it goes behind a large cloud before it reaches Max Alt and is never seen again. You saw it. You can claim it. You still list your Max Alt and time just as if you saw it during the entire pass. Add a note in your Waymark that it was partly cloudy and you only saw it before it reached Max Alt.

World.jpg

On 4/23/2018 at 8:22 PM, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

WHAT? Currently I'm seeing the ISS on the 20th as Alt 72° to OK City's NW. I don't think It will drop below 45° by then. And on the 21st, it's now 49° to the SE and rising so you could partner with someone for that one.

I'm not in OKC. The pass I was planning on watching with someone in OKC is now several degrees too short of the 45 minimum from my viewpoint.

We're less than 2 weeks out from these pass-overs. They are still good for me for multiple days and times between May 20th and 24th. There are several players interested in there passes, I'm not sure anymore who's all in for each of the potential passes.

I will be in Hamilton Ontario Canada on all days over that time period (no Geobash for me this year). here's a list of dates, times (for max altitude - Eastern Time zone), and max altitudes for me:

date    brightness  time    max altitude

20 May    -3.9     05:03:42    62°  [although I really don't want to wake up at 5am]

20 May    -3.0     23:20:06    51°

21 May    -3.9     22:27:35    89° [this is the one I'm most interested in]

22 May    -3.7     21:35:08    49°

24 May    -3.6     21:26:30    74°

If others prepare a similar table for their location, I think this will make it easier for us to choose partners. Please be sure to include your location and time zone!

Good job, Bon Echo!

My hometown can not see the ISS pass at greater than 45° for any of those days. However, on May 19, I have to drive 400 km north to attend a conference. On May 20, I will drive 400 km Northwest to Odessa, Texas where I will observe the ISS in the Evening. On the morning of May 21, I will observe an ISS Pass just before sunrise. I will then drive 400 km South-southwest to Eagle Pass, Texas, where I will observe the ISS in the evening. On the morning of May 22, I will observe the ISS Pass and then drive 375 km back to my home.

Evening of May 20, I will be in Odessa, Texas. (lat=31.8457, lng=-102.3676)
All Times are (GMT-6:00)  Central Daylight time

May 20   -3.6    22:14:27    70°    NW (ISS going SW to NE) SAME PASS AS Bon Echo
May 21   -3.7    06:22:19    50°    SW (ISS going NW to SE) Sunrise 06:49:00

Evening of May 21, I will be in Eagle Pass, Texas. (lat=28.7091, lng=-100.4995)
All Times are (GMT-6:00)  Central Daylight time

May 21   -3.9    21:21:41    87°    NW (ISS going SW to NE) SAME PASS AS Bon Echo
May 22   -3.0    05:30:46    52°    NE (ISS going NW to SE)

• Upvote 1