Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Bon Echo

ISS Sightings May 21 2018 - Houston to Albany

28 posts in this topic

Looking for player(s) interested in creating an ISS Sighting waymarks on Monday May 21st. The station will be close to overhead in Houston Texas (hint hint) and will track just south of the Great Lakes.

I'm in Hamilton Ontario and for me the station will pass with a Maximum altitude of 70° and a brightness of  -4.0 at  22:13:35 eastern time

http://heavens-above.com/gtrack.aspx?satid=25544&mjd=58260.0927771395&lat=43.2599&lng=-79.8494&loc=hamilton&alt=86&tz=EST

PassGTrackLargeGraphic.aspx?satid=25544&

In Houston, the station will pass with a maximum altitude  of 78° and a brightness of  -3.7 at 21:08:43  central time

http://www.heavens-above.com/gtrack.aspx?satid=25544&mjd=58260.0894001302&lat=29.774&lng=-95.3576&loc=Houston&alt=16&tz=CST

PassGTrackLargeGraphic.aspx?satid=25544&

Probably more than a few waymarkers in between those two locals, could possibly set up a three-point sighting.

Two nights ago I finally made it out to see the ISS, it was max alt 82° and so bright and now I'm hooked! Went out again tonight to watch it pass at max alt of 42°, what a big difference.

I may have missed it, but most passes between now and late May that are high enough are from Northwest to southeast (from Hamilton to Pennsylvania), so it's harder to get the minimum distance, or they are early in the morning. I'm not interested in getting up at 5 am to look at some light in the sky.

Thanks

1

Share this post


Link to post

I have tried to connect with people for the ISS waymark so many times...good luck, hope it works out for you. This one doesn't get anywhere near central OK so I'll be no help.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

I was going to suggest someone, but I checked and it won't be high enough for them. Better check Indianapolis or Memphis areas.

Edited by vulture1957
0

Share this post


Link to post

Bon Echo,

I might possibly be able to help. I'll do some checking and keep you posted.

0

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

I have tried to connect with people for the ISS waymark so many times...good luck, hope it works out for you. This one doesn't get anywhere near central OK so I'll be no help.

there is one at 22:00 or so May 20 that goes 83 deg over OKC area, and should be visible for Bon Echo in Hamilton. ALso over Chicago area, and I have a contact there that may want to play.

0

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

there is one at 22:00 or so May 20 that goes 83 deg over OKC area, and should be visible for Bon Echo in Hamilton. ALso over Chicago area, and I have a contact there that may want to play.

That would work on this end - except that is the Sunday of a long weekend (Victoria Day weekend in Canada) and we may be further south at the Allegany Geobash. But even if we are, that location would still work, barely.

Maximum altitude    23:06:30    48°

Brightness  -2.9

PassGTrackLargeGraphic.aspx?satid=25544&

0

Share this post


Link to post

Contact The Snowdog and Cldisme (in Joliet IL) to see if they'll play. If so, I'll watch the overpass and visit all your waymarks! The Snowdog and I are really in the same area, and I already got my waymark, so I'll let The Snowdog get this. If he can't do it, I'll make myself available.

1

Share this post


Link to post

8Nuts MotherGoose may be able to do one or both of these, if it's visible that far south.

0

Share this post


Link to post

I am on a visible path for May 21 at 21:47:03 CDST at an ALT of 67° to the NW. I'm in Donna, TX.

From past experience, I want to remind you that between now and May 21, the ground path will slowly shift toward the NW. By May 21, It may be below ALT 45° for me.

On 3/29/2018 at 0:06 PM, vulture1957 said:

Contact The Snowdog and Cldisme (in Joliet IL) to see if they'll play. If so, I'll watch the overpass and visit all your waymarks! The Snowdog and I are really in the same area, and I already got my waymark, so I'll let The Snowdog get this. If he can't do it, I'll make myself available.

Sorry, vulture1957, you are only allowed to Visit the nearest Waymark, not all of them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Sorry, vulture1957, you are only allowed to Visit the nearest Waymark, not all of them.

Well, I can visit SOMETHING!

 

0

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Here is a question for all you ISS watchers.

As seen in the ISS Pass photos above. On May 21, the ISS is visible as it passes along the St Lawrence Seaway around 10:15 pm. On May 20, the ISS is visible as it passes along the St Lawrence Seaway around 11:00 pm.

QUESTION: How late can the ISS still be seen during this later part of May? 

 

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
Clarifying question.
0

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Here is a question for all you ISS watchers.

As seen in the ISS Pass photos above. On May 21, the ISS is visible as it passes along the St Lawrence Seaway around 10:15 pm. On May 20, the ISS is visible as it passes along the St Lawrence Seaway around 11:00 pm.

QUESTION: How late can the ISS still be seen during this later part of May? 

 

on the ascending pass, it should be getting close to visible anytime (arctic circle has light 24 hours around summer stolcis. (sp)

0

Share this post


Link to post

I would be glad to jump in, just let me know when :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/1/2018 at 10:43 AM, vulture1957 said:

on the ascending pass, it should be getting close to visible anytime (arctic circle has light 24 hours around summer stolcis. (sp)

You are correct. In the Summer, even when we are in the dark of night, the ISS is still reflecting the sun's rays that come from over the Arctic.

Bon Echo picked the right pass. It stays in sunlight all night and produces a 9000 mile (14,484 kilometers) path on which to find partners. The path starts somewhere in the Pacific ocean off the coast of Mexico, and stops at sunrise in Mogadishu, Somalia on the East coast of Africa.

 

 

May21-22.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post

And for The Snowdog in Oklahoma City. On May 20, we get this.

May20-21.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post

Unfortunately, on May 19, on the East coast we get some shadow time.

May19-20 Shadow.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

And for The Snowdog in Oklahoma City. On May 20, we get this.

May20-21.jpg

Hey! Looks like we can get in on the action :) 

0

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

I'm looking for someone in the NE U.S. or Canada for a joint sighting on May 21 about 21:12. It'll hopefully be a great viewing night for me!

Edited by Max and 99
0

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks everyone for the replies and sorry for the late response.

Can I waymark both the May 20 and the 21 passes, with different partners? unless someone else is the more norther reaches is interested in either day. The May 20th pass with The Snowdog in Oklahoma City and the 21st with Max and 99 in TN?

there's lots of room (>1200kms) between those locations and Hamilton Ontario if anyone else can join in

0

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Bon Echo said:

Thanks everyone for the replies and sorry for the late response.

Can I waymark both the May 20 and the 21 passes, with different partners? unless someone else is the more norther reaches is interested in either day. The May 20th pass with The Snowdog in Oklahoma City and the 21st with Max and 99 in TN?

there's lots of room (>1200kms) between those locations and Hamilton Ontario if anyone else can join in

I'm doing both as well. I have everything set up for May 20, just crossing my fingers for good viewing weather.

0

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/9/2018 at 11:46 AM, Bon Echo said:

Thanks everyone for the replies and sorry for the late response.

Can I waymark both the May 20 and the 21 passes, with different partners? unless someone else is the more norther reaches is interested in either day. The May 20th pass with The Snowdog in Oklahoma City and the 21st with Max and 99 in TN?

there's lots of room (>1200kms) between those locations and Hamilton Ontario if anyone else can join in

Yes, you can do the 2 days with different partners, or even the same partner. They are 2 different passes.

It's even possible to do 2 passes on the same day with a different partner for each pass. Example - On May 21, early in the morning, the ISS passes over the Philippines, across the Pacific, over Eugene, Oregon, heading SE between Las Vegas, Nevada and Salt Lake City, Utah, then passes over me at 06:10 am. In the evening the ISS passes to my NW at 21:10:16 pm, passes to the SE of Benchmark Blasterz at 21:11:46, over Bon Echo in Canada at 22:16:17, and then continues on to pass over the France/Spain Border.

First priority should be given to Bon Echo and The Snowdog. I don't think either of them have created a Waymark for this Category. Both must view the ISS at an Alt greater than 45°. 
Now the Problems:
1. For the ISS Pass on the evening of May 20, The Snowdog is viewing the pass at an ALT of 89°, which is almost straight overhead. Bon Echo will be at the Geobash in New York. He said in a message here on March 29 that the ISS would pass at Alt 48°. Because the pass is slowly moving to the NW, the Alt is now at 46°, and will drop below 45° by May 20. He will not be able to Waymark that Pass if he stays at the Geobash.
2. For the ISS Pass on the evening of May 21, Bon Echo is viewing the Pass at an Alt of 74° in Hamilton, Ontario, which is good. For The Snowdog, the chart is showing an Alt of only 38°, which is too low. Don't despair. The ISS path moves a little to the NW each day as the path is recalculated, which means the Alt will rise a little each day. By May 21, the Alt may be at or above 45°. Lets wait and see. Meanwhile, we still have Benchmark Blasterz and myself prepared to pair with Bon Echo, if needed.
3. Max and 99 and Benchmark Blasterz are too close to pair with The Snowdog. They are all in the same minute of Flight Path. We need another person at least 300 miles northeast or southwest of Oklahoma City to observe the May 20 Pass with The Snowdog.

0

Share this post


Link to post

I'm already Waymarking the May 20 pass with someone in Oklahoma.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the email, Gary!

I am not available on May 20th, but I could do a viewing on the May 21st pass.

0

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/5/2018 at 3:47 PM, Max and 99 said:

I'm looking for someone in the NNE US or Canada for a joint sighting on May 21 about 21:12. It'll hopefully be a great viewing night for me!

21:10 pass, 79° for me. Central time zone.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Not 100% sure i will be at the geobash, don't know if i will get permission to go this year :) If we stay home, I will be a bit further north, in Hamilton Ontario for both passes.

I didn't realize that the parameters are recalculated each day. I thought the times and altitudes that are posted now are what they will be (or very close anyways) come that date.

Lets see how it looks in 3 weeks from now.

0

Share this post


Link to post

I assume you wouldn't be able to see it from an angle worthy of this category from the Los Angeles area on that day. If anyone knows when the ISS will pass over my area and another waymarker's area in the future please let me know. I'll be happy to assist.

0

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/15/2018 at 7:39 PM, bluesnote said:

I assume you wouldn't be able to see it from an angle worthy of this category from the Los Angeles area on that day. If anyone knows when the ISS will pass over my area and another waymarker's area in the future please let me know. I'll be happy to assist.

I explained how to do the search yourself in this forum about a year ago - see below for a refresher course. All viewable ISS Passes for you in Los Angeles that go from SW to NE also pass over Minnesota and States between. I also mentioned in the past that an ISS Pass that flies over Texas to the Great Lakes region will pass over near Los Angeles on its next pass in 90 minutes. Therefore, You probably have visible passes on either May 20 or May 21 or both.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2