I just bought and Oregon 600 T

gr8gps

But I am not sure which one is easier to use I’m thinking the telephone is easier to use it is an iPhone X which has a built-in GPS therefore I can actually use it off-line however I’m wondering if I should use the 603 because there might be an advantage over the iPhone I don’t know truthfully I think the iPhone has the advantage any thoughts on this ?

21 hours ago, gr8gps said:

But I am not sure which one is easier to use I’m thinking the telephone is easier to use it is an iPhone X which has a built-in GPS therefore I can actually use it off-line however I’m wondering if I should use the 603 because there might be an advantage over the iPhone I don’t know truthfully I think the iPhone has the advantage any thoughts on this ?

The other 2/3rds had GPS in her blackberry in '03 (using Trimble outdoors for caching in early '05), but GPS has been in some phones since '99.  ;)

"Phone vs handheld GPSr" has  been going on for years.  With todays tech, unless battery drain, weather, or shock is an issue with your phone, there's no reason not to use it (if that's what you're comfortable with). 

I prefer to use a handheld GPSr, rather than having to add additional equipment to my phone just to make it equivalent to a handheld GPSr.  :)

• Upvote 1

There are many advantages of using an Android over an iPhone, but that's neither here nor there. The OP uses an iPhone X and he's asking about whether to use it or his newly purchased Garmin Oregon 600t. 

The answer to your query is that there is no correct answer. It may take you some time to get used to using a GPS, during which you will discover that a GPS and a phone are not the same thing. The Oregon 600t doesn't connect directly to the web and therefore doesn't have live caching. You will have to connect it to a computer to load geocaches and retrieve your field notes (drafts) for logging. The screen is smaller and the resolution not as fine. It's thicker and probably heavier too. But it is more rugged - it'll withstand some good drops without an extra case, though I do recommend a screen protector to protect it from scratches. It's waterproof out of the box. When your batteries die, just pop them out and put a new set in - AA's are standard, and Eneloop rechargeables will save you money in the long run. 

Some people never get the hang of the GPS and prefer the convenience of doing everything right on the phone. Others, once they get the hang of the GPS, have trouble going back to phone apps as primary navigation and geocaching devices. Your worth as a person and as a geocacher matters not whether you fit into the first or second category. What matters is whether you are enjoying yourself and enjoying playing the game.

If you have any questions  or have any frustrations about your GPS or any of the phone apps, this is the place to come. We'll help you solve your problems and hopefully keep you geocaching.

• Upvote 1
On 3/28/2018 at 2:52 PM, gr8gps said:

Have a look here for some help learning about all that Oregon 6x0 can do.... And congratulations on a fine purchase!

10 minutes ago, gr8gps said:

I cant seem to get it to “send to gps”

in Basecamp

on my Windows 10 computer

I figure it is the browser, I will try again when I get home from work.

I used Chrome, I will try Edge when I get home.

??? "send to GPS" is on the gc website and has nothing to do with Basecamp. I suspect you mean "Garmin Communicator" doesn't work (just search the forums for that).

Changing browsers will do no good (yes I know there's still one way to get it to work.... for now).

Options: manual download of GPX and copy/paste to garmin/gpx folder, add to list and "send" to gps using garmin Express, use PQs, use GSAK or other wp manager.

4 hours ago, gr8gps said:

I cant seem to get it to “send to gps”

in Basecamp

on my Windows 10 computer

I figure it is the browser, I will try again when I get home from work.

I used Chrome, I will try Edge when I get home.

You may place GPX files directly into the GPX folder of a modern Garmin GPSr, no plug-ins needed.

Download the GPX file from Geocaching.com. Not "Send To My GPS", use the "GPX File" button, on a cache page. For a Pocket Query, unzip the GPX files.
Plug the Garmin into the USB port of the computer.
Find the Garmin as a [DRIVE] or [storage device] and open it.
Therein, locate a file folder named something like Garmin/GPX/.
Click, drag and drop (or copy) the downloaded GPX file(s) to that [DRIVE]:Garmin/GPX/ folder.
Right-click and select Eject, unplug the Garmin.
Go Geocaching.
(From Gitchee-Gumee's excellent instructions)

Accuracy is usually the big difference between a dedicated GPS and a phone.

Mobile phones (including the iPhone) usually support GPS, GLONASS and sometimes Galileo satellite systems - but they don't support WAAS / EGNOS support systems, which improve the accuracy of the location significantly. Dedicated GPSr units do support those systems. Generally speaking, a phone will give 5 - 8 m of position accuracy while a dedicated GPSr with WAAS / EGNOS support will give you ~2 m of accuracy.

Your Oregon 600 T supports WAAS / EGNOS, you should be able to get ~2 m accuracy.

Good luck learning how to use the device :)

1 hour ago, stefanwilkens said:

Accuracy is usually the big difference between a dedicated GPS and a phone.

In my actual use, I've experienced little to no difference in accuracy between a Oregon 700 and my iPhone. 

My reason for taking out the Oregon usually comes from:
1) battery life and field replaceable vs carrying/tethered to a USB charger if necessary
2) dropping one vs the other though the cost of the oregon doesn't give you that warm fuzzy when it hits the ground
3) if I'm doing more hiking vs park and grabs or short walks

There's usually a tiny bit more prep time needed with the oregon and I have the 700 which means I can easily download the same bookmark list as I can offline to Cachly on the iPhone. 

If I only had to choose one, it would definitely be the phone and I started back in the earlier days with a GPS V before there was a smartphone/app so it's not based on what I was initially comfortable with.