Can't upload images to the forums

barefootjeff

For the last few days, whenever I've tried to upload an image to the forums, I get a message saying "There was a problem processing the uploaded file. Please contact us for assistance." The images are jpgs and are quite small (about 50-100kB and about 400x300 pixels). I'm using Firefox 59.0.1 on Windows 10.

I also tried to attach a png image of the error message to this post but got the same error message.

18 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I just tried with Edge and got the same error message, so I guess it's just me and hzoi it's suddenly decided to not allow photo uploads. Uploading images to logs still works, though.

Nope, not just you. Uploading a picture as an attachment fails. Linking it on the other hand, works fine. "What we've got here is.... failure to communicate."

16 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Nope, not just you. Uploading a picture as an attachment fails. Linking it on the other hand, works fine. "What we've got here is.... failure to communicate."

I guess I should've been a bit more specific. Using the "drag files here to attach or choose files..." thing next to the paperclip below the text edit field is where I'm trying unsuccessfully to attach photos. I assumed this was the only way to add photos to posts in the new forum implementation, but didn't see the little "insert other media" lurking in the right hand corner. Uploading the image to my website and then using that through the "insert other media" works, so this is what I get when I try to use the "drag files here to attach or choose files"...

ForumImageUpload.png

9 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Using the "drag files here to attach or choose files..." thing next to the paperclip below the text edit field is where I'm trying unsuccessfully to attach photos.

Windows machine Firefox.

I just drug in a file from my compute into the drag here" space  worked okay - see image below

This is a compressed file with max pixels on its longest dimension at or below 2000 - which is my standard for keeping image load time to logs reasonable.

another river view.jpg

11 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I just tried with Edge and got the same error message, so I guess it's just me and hzoi it's suddenly decided to not allow photo uploads. Uploading images to logs still works, though.

I'm seeing the same error in FF (same version as the OP's), and in Chrome, IE, and Edge.  It's a popup from the forum software., and occurs after the upload, when the image should appear in the post.  This glitch started within the past week.  I tried a photo that was 400x300 pixels, and other sizes.

I haven't figured out why it only affects some users.  Maybe it's a server thing.

Similar to the posts above, here's a screenshot.  I uploaded it to a cache page, then used "Insert other media".

bb483adf-29f0-4b43-b287-7f6f7e0c2abd.jpg

Edited by kunarion

This may help narrow down the problem.  If I upload an image using my smartphone over the cellular network, the upload works fine.  If I attempt to upload the file from that same phone over my home's wifi (AT&T U-verse phone connection), or from a modem-connected PC, it fails as described.

Edited by kunarion

I'm having the same problem as described by the OP. I can't attach a 150kb .jpg or 651kb .png file to forum posts, using the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." area.  I tried both, dragging and choosing, and got the aforementioned error message in both instances.

Using Firefox 59.0.2 / Windows 10 Pro.  I also tried using Firefox for Android app, both with and without wifi, and those methods failed too. ETA: Tried again using Firefox app on Android, with wifi turned off, and was able to add image to post after 3rd try - cellular service only.

I don't have the images on a URL, which was one of the benefits of the "new forum", so posting the image via link isn't doable.

Edited by noncentric
eta
28 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

You might want to try again. I was able to attach the picture below both by dragging and dropping it and by using the "choose files..." dialog.

I hope it's not one of those on again/off again bugs...

Yes, now it's fine. :cute:

IMAG0814 (Copy).jpg

Edited by kunarion