Garmin eTrex 10 - convert waypoints to geocaches

IowaDale

Hello,

For the past few years I've put together a private geocache Easter egg hunt on the family farm for all the kids. I've got an assortment of older eTrexes and four eTrex 10s. With the older eTrexes, it is easy to mark each site as a waypoint and the kids can pull it up and search for it like a geocache -- it's simple. Unfortunately, the older ones eTrexes aren't as reliable due to age. I can mark the waypoints easily with the eTrex 10s, but it is a lot harder for the kids and the adults who only do this once a year to find the sites via waypoint; the geocache format is more intuitive (I personally like the compass and being able to have notes to help the little kids). Without having to learn code or uploading the waypoints to a public geocaching site , what is the best way to convert eTrex 10 waypoints to geocaches? Is there a software (free or low cost) that I can use (import waypoints and export as geocaches)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by IowaDale

There are several ways you might approach this.  One simple way is to write or type a list of the coordinates, cache name, and details, and hand out paper copies.

When you save a waypoint on your device, it's saved as a "GPX" file.  There's a place for notes in a waypoint which you can edit on the device.  You can even open that file and edit its text on a PC and save it.  In either case, you can copy and use the files on other GPS devices.  You can select the "compass" to hunt a waypoint.

There's software that makes it simple to make a waypoint from scratch, and even save it as a "Geocache".  "EasyGPS" is free.  See its help file.  If you want it to be shown as a "Geocache", type a "Geocache Number" (I guess, make up a number system that won't conflict with real Geocache numbers), fill out the rest of the fields, and save your GPX file to load into your device(s).

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Hello We have 6 Garmin Etrex 10s and want to load some new geocaches on  to find - since the plug in does not now work are there some easy simple instructions to follow to do this - have tried copying the GPX files in to the folder but cannot see them in the list  of geocaches on the device

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, daisymay91 said:

[...] have tried copying the GPX files into the folder [...]

Have you selected the correct target folder path? That is:
[The eTrex 10]://Garmin/GPX/yourGPXfile.gpx

Hans

Edited by HHL
  • Upvote 1