Jump to content

Archived webcam cache


Glenn
Followers 3

Recommended Posts

I'm the owner of an archived webcam cache. The cache has been archived for 13 years yet recently I have had premium geocachers making current (as in this year) found it logs. I haven't been keeping up with Geocaching policy and I am wondering there has been a change and logging an archived cache as found after the archive date is now accepted policy especially since these are premium members who are doing it.

Link to comment

No change.  Archived Listings of all types, can be logged as Found after the Archive date.  This has always been true.

Chances are, if you delete the log entries, people will tire of logging it, and leave you alone.  If the problem persists, you can contact HQ or your local Volunteer Reviewer to have the Listing Locked, so that people can't log on the Listing page anymore.

 

Link to comment

It's always been accepted as far as I know.

But logging a cache more than 12 years after archival? I wouldn't accept it and delete the last logs (after contacting the cachers of course).

I see in your cache that somebody already posted a log in 2014 as well. I think you should have taken action by then.

If you really don't want anybody post logs any more you can ask your local reviewer to lock the cache.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment

Nope. No change.  I could see if a family member was creating an account, and back-dating their find, explaining why in their log as well.

 - But (your NY one for example...) folks are "finding" it many years after archival.  You did let the one in '14 slide, so maybe the others this year think "it's okay with the CO" and did the same.

I'd delete, and ask for the cache to be locked with an email to HQ, the "Contact Us" at the bottom of all forum pages.

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

I have asked a reviewer to lock my archived cache--it was useful for completing a local challenge cache so became an irritant for me and I didn't want to have to be the bad guy and delete bogus finds. 

In my books deleting bogus logs makes you a good CO not a bad one… I wish more would do it.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Nope. No change.  I could see if a family member was creating an account, and back-dating their find, explaining why in their log as well.

 - But (your NY one for example...) folks are "finding" it many years after archival.  You did let the one in '14 slide, so maybe the others this year think "it's okay with the CO" and did the same.

I'd delete, and ask for the cache to be locked with an email to HQ, the "Contact Us" at the bottom of all forum pages.

I can understand back-dating too. But these aren't back-dated finds. They are NEW finds.

I don't really want to have the cache locked because I'd like people who have actually found the cache in the past to be able to back-date a log entry.
Does HQ have an option where cache entries AFTER the archive date are automatically blocked/deleted but entries that are properly back-dated can be made? This would be a very helpful feature.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, StefandD said:

It's always been accepted as far as I know.

But logging a cache more than 12 years after archival? I wouldn't accept it and delete the last logs (after contacting the cachers of course).

I see in your cache that somebody already posted a log in 2014 as well. I think you should have taken action by then.

If you really don't want anybody post logs any more you can ask your local reviewer to lock the cache.

 

I believe that 2014 entry was back-dated but not to far that it was back-dated before the cache was archived. I really wish there was a way to tell the difference between an made close to the find date and one that was back-dated. My archived caches get so few visits that a few slip though. After all the cache IS archived for a reason.
 

Like I said above I don't mind legitimated back-dated logs but from what I understand locking the cache would prevent this.

Link to comment

Whelp, that's that. The cache has been locked without me asking. Which means that I can't delete the bogus log entries. So they are there for good.

And some people wonder why I took a "vacation" from Geocaching.


Since I'm sure that someone from HQ or a VR is reading this and you've took it upon yourself to remove my ability to do so; Please remove the log entries from the following cachers: sha1tan, Vatvedt, and titi89.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Glenn said:

Whelp, that's that. The cache has been locked without me asking. Which means that I can't delete the bogus log entries. So they are there for good.

And some people wonder why I took a "vacation" from Geocaching.


Since I'm sure that someone from HQ or a VR is reading this and you've took it upon yourself to remove my ability to do so; Please remove the log entries from the following cachers: sha1tan, Vatvedt, and titi89.

You can ask the reviewer to delete the bogus log entries. 

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Glenn said:

Does HQ have an option where cache entries AFTER the archive date are automatically blocked/deleted but entries that are properly back-dated can be made? This would be a very helpful feature.

This is the functionality that I think would make the most sense, related to logging finds on archived caches. Of course, cachers could still get around it by backdating the find date on their log.  There have been other threads discussing "finding archived caches", like  THIS  and  THIS.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Touchstone said:

Note to self: Delete bogus log entries THEN go to the Forum to complain about bogus log entries.

Technically, they didn't ask the listing to be archived and were feeling for suggestions about dealing with the log entries, so the archive was done before they'd actually decided that deleting the log entries was their best option... at least that's how I read the thread. But yes, still a good self-note for future reference :)

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 3
×
×
  • Create New...